Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 58 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,055 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
August 22, 2016, 5:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from davmariner

So because I have concerns about our current plans means that I'm a 'supposed supporter'? Funny that, if you weren't so far up your own backside and actually read my post at no point did I say that we didn't need a new ground or that we should stay at/redevelop Blundell Park. I'm unconvinced by the current plans. That doesn't mean that people can't question/scrutinise plans. Nor have I lambasted anyone else's view. It's tools like you that stifle any debate on this board.

So the abuse begins again ! I was pointing out that your points made were often made by fans who don't want to move from BP. The whole tone of your post indicated a reluctance to move grounds or being unconvinced that what was being proposed was the right move. The fact remains we have to move - there are no " ifs or buts " and the current plans are the only option on the table. You may not be convinced by them but all the investigations point to this being the best way forward and we , as fans, should be united in getting behind the club and trusting what is proposed.
It's such a shame that some posters on here can't reply to posts without resorting to insulting expressions and accusing posters of " stifling debate " which I certainly don't and have never done.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 276
davmariner
August 22, 2016, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,956
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from rancido

So the abuse begins again ! I was pointing out that your points made were often made by fans who don't want to move from BP. The whole tone of your post indicated a reluctance to move grounds or being unconvinced that what was being proposed was the right move. The fact remains we have to move - there are no " ifs or buts " and the current plans are the only option on the table. You may not be convinced by them but all the investigations point to this being the best way forward and we , as fans, should be united in getting behind the club and trusting what is proposed.
It's such a shame that some posters on here can't reply to posts without resorting to insulting expressions and accusing posters of " stifling debate " which I certainly don't and have never done.

Get off your high horse. It was you who got personal. Clearly you're incapable of having a reasonable debate accusing me of having a negative attitude, questioning my support of the club and without having even read my post properly. Not sure who you think you are, I wanted to discuss the merits of a new ground with fellow supporters without some keyboard warrior going off on one because someone disagrees with their perspective.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 276
barralad
August 22, 2016, 5:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
The facts are that a group of professional assessors have looked at all of the sites and have concluded that Peaks Parkway is the best site available. Given the insurmountable difficulties in being able to redevelop Blundell Park to give the club a chance of income seven days a week why wouldn't any GTFC fan get behind the development. The planning process including the actual production of detailed plans represents the start of the real hard work and a "How do we make this work" rather than the usual stance of "That won't work" needs to be adopted by the area as a whole...
Remember the mass building of houses on the site is a fall back. Who is to say that leisure developments won't come to the fore now that the site looks like being settled.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 276
headingly_mariner
August 22, 2016, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from barralad
The facts are that a group of professional assessors have looked at all of the sites and have concluded that Peaks Parkway is the best site available. Given the insurmountable difficulties in being able to redevelop Blundell Park to give the club a chance of income seven days a week why wouldn't any GTFC fan get behind the development. The planning process including the actual production of detailed plans represents the start of the real hard work and a "How do we make this work" rather than the usual stance of "That won't work" needs to be adopted by the area as a whole...
Remember the mass building of houses on the site is a fall back. Who is to say that leisure developments won't come to the fore now that the site looks like being settled.

Even with the leisure development it will still involve 850 houses.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 22, 2016, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from davmariner
So far have kept out of this new stadium as I'm unconvinced of the benefits. We hear so much about these seven day facilities and income generation that the majority shareholder talks about. What are these facilities that will bring income in seven days a week? Has the club done any market research? Times are hard and money is particularly tight in the area. Certain seven day facilities at a ground in Colchester, Essex being quite a prosperous area might generate income in that part of country but not necessarily in North East Lincolnshire. If we spend all this money on a new ground and say for example, we build five a side pitches are people going to use them and will they be affordable enough? These are the sort of questions I haven't seen any answers to something which could conceivably kill the club if things fail.

My Mrs works at the Liberty as a casual and she gets work regularly at corporate functions and concerts and the like. They literally employ hundreds of people on a list and the first lot to reply gets the work. Swansea is a poor area and it works down here just fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 276
psgmariner
August 22, 2016, 6:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
If the area really is in crisis when it comes to conference rooms why hasn't any one else just built a conference centre?

I genuinely think it is taking the urine to say that having some conference rooms makes a multi million pound stadium development sustainable. Absolute balderdash in my opinion.

Private Message
Reply: 95 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2016, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from psgmariner
If the area really is in crisis when it comes to conference rooms why hasn't any one else just built a conference centre?

I genuinely think it is taking the urine to say that having some conference rooms makes a multi million pound stadium development sustainable. Absolute balderdash in my opinion.

It works at Rotherham - we do a lot of work in the area and the joint arrangement between the council and the club there means that several people are employed on a far more permanent basis than they would be at a 'normal' football ground without the additional facilities.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 276
davmariner
August 22, 2016, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,956
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

My Mrs works at the Liberty as a casual and she gets work regularly at corporate functions and concerts and the like. They literally employ hundreds of people on a list and the first lot to reply gets the work. Swansea is a poor area and it works down here just fine.

Interesting perspective, thanks for that. This is the sort of reply I'd hope for. Any idea of what kind of crowds Swansea were getting before they moved?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 276
psgmariner
August 22, 2016, 6:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Again though - if there was bags of money to be made in hosting conferences in the area then someone would build a conference centre. Not a £20 million football stadium that can host conferences (except on a number of Saturdays and Tueadays).

The financial argument I can understand is selling what we have to then rent somewhere new. If we sell BP then we get some money in the bank, Fenty recoups some of his loan and then we pray to god then council, IKEA, sainsburys or someone pays for a new ground that we can rent from them. All seems incredibly short term thinking. If I was incredibly skint I may consider selling my house and then renting but it would be a last resort.

A community stadium means the club don't own it. We will be tenants.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 22, 2016, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from davmariner

Interesting perspective, thanks for that. This is the sort of reply I'd hope for. Any idea of what kind of crowds Swansea were getting before they moved?

I used to go down the vetch for my fix of lower level footy when town were in the championship, they'd get crowds around the 2-3k mark. It was far far worse than BP is right now. The new stadium is 20k and full every week, I can't remember how many used to go in League1 but it was certainly at least three times as many people as you'd get down the vetch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.