Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 257 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,013 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 24, 2016, 9:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
One thing I couldn't see explained anywhere in the report was why we have to have everything co-located. e.g the five training pitches. Obviously it's ideal to have them close by but not essential.

The other thing is the enabling development. Couldn't this be done in one location and the ground in another?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2016, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from realist
I am totally in favour of a new stadium but at the right location. This one isnt it

Is that an opinion? Is it because its location will affect you? Because it certainly isn't a fact.
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 276
HackneyHaddock
August 24, 2016, 9:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Almost 100% of the population of NE Lincs lives within three miles of the proposed site.  If designed properly, there's no reason why a good chunk of the supporters shouldn't arrive by public transport or under their own steam.

As for noise, I live 800 yards from the Olympic stadium and on Sunday when West Ham played their first home game of the season, I could barely hear a thing.  That was with 50,000 people.  People in Grimsby who think 5-10,000 are somehow going to destroy civilisation or wake up the dead at the cemetery, are frankly living on another planet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 276
headingly_mariner
August 24, 2016, 9:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Folks

I am sorry, but this is not a perfect world.

You have the choice..... wait for the perfect choice at Great Coates....... or accept what's on offer.

If you are in need of a heart transplant to survive, you accept what's on offer NOW!

I'm not sure Great Coates was ever the perfect choice, out of town is pants.
The idea that the club needs a new stadium immediately or it will cease to exist is a nonsense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2016, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'm not sure Great Coates was ever the perfect choice, out of town is pants.
The idea that the club needs a new stadium immediately or it will cease to exist is a nonsense.

How long do you want us to wait? Another 23 years? Wait till Scunny get their 3rd new stadium?
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 276
SteffiMariner
August 24, 2016, 9:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from barralad

It is about time this point was raised. Do you know exactly what the rules are? Obviously J.F. cannot vote but I'm not sure there are that many councillors these days who are regular supporters-unlike the times of Bovill and co. Ray Oxby aside I cannot think of too many Labour councillors and I'm aware of only one Tory who is/are regular supporters/season ticket holders
I've been presuming that each party will employ a whip system having decided amongst themselves what their party's stance should be.
If that were the case I'd expect UKIP and the Lib Dems to vote against and Labour and the Tories, who I believe have a pact to vote for.
I doubt greatly that there will be a free vote if such a thing exists at this level.
The other thing that interests me is exactly what the vote will be about. It's not a planning meeting. As far as I'm aware it is about allowing the project to move on to the planning stage having established Peaks Parkway as the intended site.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression the council generally voted for the recommendations of the planning committee. If they go against the planning committee, then they are left open to appeals and they generally lose. Like lose nearly every single time. It isn't the councillors you have to convince, its the planning committee and they base their case on facts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 276
Bigdog
August 24, 2016, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner
One thing I couldn't see explained anywhere in the report was why we have to have everything co-located. e.g the five training pitches. Obviously it's ideal to have them close by but not essential.

The other thing is the enabling development. Couldn't this be done in one location and the ground in another?

Probably one of the most interesting points I've read. I wonder whether it has ever been considered. You can build the stadium there if the enabling development takes place in another area or areas in the Borough that are in urgent need of regeneration. I guess the retail price of housing wouldn't be as high on a non-greenfield site, therefore reducing the attractiveness to potential developers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 276
headingly_mariner
August 24, 2016, 10:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How long do you want us to wait? Another 23 years? Wait till Scunny get their 3rd new stadium?

I'd love us to have a new ground, I'd just like us to have one that is not shite. Any build that sees us with missing sides of a ground for up to 8 years should be a definite no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
August 24, 2016, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'd love us to have a new ground, I'd just like us to have one that is not shite. Any build that sees us with missing sides of a ground for up to 8 years should be a definite no.

Imagine if after all this time we get a brand new stadium that we... all detest because it has been done on the cheap or in a half hearted way.

We either get a beautifully designed, bang up to date stadium that will be a credit to the generations of fans and indeed players that will use it or not bother.

We will only have one chance at the new stadium which will last for decades so we need to get it as near perfect as we can. Something very similar to the Rotherham stadium should be the minimum to aim at I reckon.  
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
August 24, 2016, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Your point is the sort of thing that is so obvious, I wonder if it has been considered or overlooked or discounted? In that scenario the space for the stadium alone would perhaps bring other sites into consideration previously declined due to lack of acreage.

I suppose the experts involved must have thought of things like this.
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.