Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 196 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,017 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
August 24, 2016, 7:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Our fans like to sing about other towns being "a s***hole" at away games, but in all honesty, much of our town is a complete excrement hole, with a council who are happy for it to stay that way rather than show leadership.  There isn't much about a new football ground that could possibly make the area any worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 276
barralad
August 24, 2016, 7:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from marinerjase
But that's looking at it from a club fans objective. Doesn't mean it's the case that we should get a new ground because BP is knackered/not fit for purpose. Need a far better argument than that if it is to proceed. Fact is a WHOLE LOT of people need to be convinced, opinion turned around as they aren't fans of the club and see it as a bad move for the wrong reasons. Personally I think thats a problem, stemming from the top - that people are refusing to acknowledge other peoples opinions and just name them NIMBYS. It isn't the case at all. There's a lot of arguments to be won, even to just get a step along the line. I feel some are in for a shock as to the level of opposition there is/will be. (and no...before someone responds with the usual..I'm not against it - I just view things from both sides)

Quite possibly the best post on the thread IMO. It has all the hallmarks of an environmentalist campaign-green field site, nature disturbance, extra traffic...I could go on. I stood for the council last year with a pro-stadium stance in Park Ward and met tremendous opposition on the doorstep from people with valid arguments that quite simply the powers that be will need to listen to and go someway..a long way...to dealing with. The first step is to get it moved on so that actual plans can start to come together. Fingers crossed this happens next week. I have some sympathy with councillors on this. They are elected to represent the views of their constituents but they need to be prepared together with the officers of the football club to tell people what the long term gains are going to be.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 276
realist
August 24, 2016, 8:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
It's not all gains though. There are far more negatives which I  doubt can be overcome.  When you remove the councillors who cannot vote it leaves very little support for this project.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 276
barralad
August 24, 2016, 8:18pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from realist
It's not all gains though. There are far more negatives which I  doubt can be overcome.  When you remove the councillors who cannot vote it leaves very little support for this project.

It is about time this point was raised. Do you know exactly what the rules are? Obviously J.F. cannot vote but I'm not sure there are that many councillors these days who are regular supporters-unlike the times of Bovill and co. Ray Oxby aside I cannot think of too many Labour councillors and I'm aware of only one Tory who is/are regular supporters/season ticket holders
I've been presuming that each party will employ a whip system having decided amongst themselves what their party's stance should be.
If that were the case I'd expect UKIP and the Lib Dems to vote against and Labour and the Tories, who I believe have a pact to vote for.
I doubt greatly that there will be a free vote if such a thing exists at this level.
The other thing that interests me is exactly what the vote will be about. It's not a planning meeting. As far as I'm aware it is about allowing the project to move on to the planning stage having established Peaks Parkway as the intended site.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2016, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Quite possibly the best post on the thread IMO. It has all the hallmarks of an environmentalist campaign-green field site, nature disturbance, extra traffic...I could go on. I stood for the council last year with a pro-stadium stance in Park Ward and met tremendous opposition on the doorstep from people with valid arguments that quite simply the powers that be will need to listen to and go someway..a long way...to dealing with. The first step is to get it moved on so that actual plans can start to come together. Fingers crossed this happens next week. I have some sympathy with councillors on this. They are elected to represent the views of their constituents but they need to be prepared together with the officers of the football club to tell people what the long term gains are going to be.

Excuse me if I'm being thick here. Why can the likes of Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, even Boston get a new stadium yet Nimsby Town can't convince the locals 23 years on. Every one of these clubs are/have been at our level - every flipping one and we're still inventing reasons why ours won't happen. What is it? All of these stadia have had problems to overcome, why can't we?
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 24, 2016, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from realist

How do you know there are negatives nobody has seen the planning application yet. Or do you mean just in general a new stadium is a bad thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 276
realist
August 24, 2016, 8:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Because the club has no money and relies on developers to fund it. Thry in turn want a prime site to maximise their profits. Unfortunately these sites are unsuitable for football stadium and the large scale development required.  If the club had been run better it might have been able to go a more independent route with less objections.
i think this will be pointless though because with the current business and football management teams we will be back in the conference next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 276
barralad
August 24, 2016, 8:30pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Excuse me if I'm being thick here. Why can the likes of Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, even Boston get a new stadium yet Nimsby Town can't convince the locals 23 years on. Every one of these clubs are/have been at our level - every flipping one and we're still inventing reasons why ours won't happen. What is it? All of these stadia have had problems to overcome, why can't we?

For the sake of balance Brighton were almost longer and had to play some of their football in Gillingham before they got agreement. Liverpool met solid resistance to their proposed new stadium (since shelved I believe).
However I'm not disagreeing for once. Hopefully the people within our council tasked with making this happen will talk to their counterparts at these other places. I know I would...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 24, 2016, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Not all the sites are unsuitable though Peaks Parkway passed the sequential test.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 276
realist
August 24, 2016, 8:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Swansea mariner. If you live in Wales get lost.  This proposal will have profound effects on locals. It is so easy for you to spout garbage and be inaffected by the outcome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.