Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 322 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,018 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
August 25, 2016, 4:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mirrorballman
So…..
We build the stadium only at Garth Lane. The council owned sections of the site are big enough for a stadium and putting it there solves a brownfield site problem for them. The “give me a stadium with character in a great location” PP naysayers get their temple to replace BP and can walk to the town centre pubs etc. The stadium conference facilities and bars/food etc will have business seven days a week.

We put the enabling development at Peaks Parkway. Nobody has to worry about the barbarian hordes gatecrashing funerals etc every two weeks so there are fewer objections to the planning application.

The pitches and GTSET facilities etc will be an attractive selling point for the houses in the development. Developer will be happy because house prices will probably be higher because there won’t be a football ground with the (misperceived) threat of the aforementioned hordes. And they can build more of them without the stadium footprint and parking. The bus station and train station are convenient for Garth Lane but parking might not be – a park and ride can go in PP to relieve matchday traffic in the town centre.

Happy fans
Happy Fenty
Happy council
Happy developer
Happy nimbys

Unhappy ?

If that was feasible then why move ground at all ? Why not develop BP and have the enabling development some where else ? The reason is we would still have a ground that would only be income streaming for the season and hardly raising any income for the rest of the time. For a project of this kind to work it all has to be in one location. All the amenities , especially car parking, are together and they can be used by all parties using the complex.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 276
oldun
August 25, 2016, 5:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Could a PP development incorporate some running track/ athletic facilities so releasing King George stadium for housing development. Also can one of the 3G pitches be made suitable for hockey. An indoor area for gymnastics/ judo etc. Just bearing in mind the impact of the Olympics and the need to provide an opportunity for local young people the have good facilities to develop their skills in a range of sports.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 25, 2016, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from richardhallam

The 2.82 ha is based upon the design for Great Cotes which is now dated and wasn't designed with the limitations that Garth Lane might present. Chesterfields and Wycombes stadiums would fit into 2.82 ha for example. Most of the 6.5 ha you mention is for 3G pitches which could be located at PP. As for the Car Parking and circulation space, Garth Lane presents very different challenges to PP, which a good design and a few careful land acquisitions might solve.

Some vision beyond the closed road to PP is needed.

No the 6.5 ha I'm referring to is for the functional additions. The pitches are another 3.71 ha which , if you include them brings the total to 13.03 ha.

I excluded the pitches as I guess you could reasonably put them anywhere, which is not really the case for parking and circulation though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 276
richardhallam
August 25, 2016, 5:52pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +0
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

No the 6.5 ha I'm referring to is for the functional additions. The pitches are another 3.71 ha which , if you include them brings the total to 13.03 ha.

I excluded the pitches as I guess you could reasonably put them anywhere, which is not really the case for parking and circulation though.

Yes, I see the 6.5 now. Thats for a circulation space for pedestrians, a public transport interchange, car parking and street sports facilities. Very different in a town centre location and Garth Lane in particular to Great Cotes or PP. For starters its walking distance from GT rail and bus stations.

The extended site as far as Corporation road runs to 7.5 Ha, some of that could be acquired.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 25, 2016, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from richardhallam

Yes, I see the 6.5 now. Thats for a circulation space for pedestrians, a public transport interchange, car parking and street sports facilities. Very different in a town centre location and Garth Lane in particular to Great Cotes or PP. For starters its walking distance from GT rail and bus stations.

The extended site as far as Corporation road runs to 7.5 Ha, some of that could be acquired.

Yeah the report acknowledges the possibility for extension, but also identifies severe financial implications due to the options held by Henry Boot Ltd. Their wording 'severe' suggests financially prohibitive. I'm assuming they know the figure but probably can't release it as its commercially sensitive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 276
richardhallam
August 25, 2016, 6:22pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +0
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Yeah the report acknowledges the possibility for extension, but also identifies severe financial implications due to the options held by Henry Boot Ltd. Their wording 'severe' suggests financially prohibitive. I'm assuming they know the figure but probably can't release it as its commercially sensitive.

Maybe Henry would fancy a nice plot near Waltham instead and a opportunity to quote for building a stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 276
grimsby pete
August 25, 2016, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
We must have a stadium with 4 sides to start with,

Extra seating can be added upwards at a later date,

Having the new site nearer to Suffolk saves me a bit of mileage,

So PP is a plus for me

Another plus is I have BP on my garden gate that can easily be changed to PP without much bother. .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 276
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2016, 1:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Your point is the sort of thing that is so obvious, I wonder if it has been considered or overlooked or discounted? In that scenario the space for the stadium alone would perhaps bring other sites into consideration previously declined due to lack of acreage.

I suppose the experts involved must have thought of things like this.

I think I must have read it on the hated Cod Almighty  

Garth Lane does look very tight, even without the ancillary stuff. Not sure why it would need a carpark though. There seems to be a lot around the wider Top Town area.

There were land acquisition issues too. The council owned plot is a bit the wrong shape to fit even just the ground in. But where there's a will......

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 276
barralad
August 26, 2016, 3:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think I must have read it on the hated Cod Almighty  

Garth Lane does look very tight, even without the ancillary stuff. Not sure why it would need a carpark though. There seems to be a lot around the wider Top Town area.

There were land acquisition issues too. The council owned plot is a bit the wrong shape to fit even just the ground in. But where there's a will......

I can only assume you've never had the "joy" of queueing on a normal Saturday for the car parks in Top Town. Add upwards of another 1000 to that and present car parking would be woefully inadequate. The car parks near B and M and Sainsbury's are customer only and are monitored. I suspect if it were a realistic possibility we would all like a stadium with full development in Top Town but it is a "romantic" pipe dream. The traffic chaos on match days would be unimaginable. Thanks to the new one-way system it took the bus I was on SEVENTEEN minutes to get from the bottom of the bridge at the back of St James church to the turning point on the approach to the bus terminus and that was mid morning on a Friday. It's Peakes Parkway or nowt and the council have just paid good money for EXPERTS to confirm that..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 276
gtfc98
August 26, 2016, 3:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from barralad

I can only assume you've never had the "joy" of queueing on a normal Saturday for the car parks in Top Town. Add upwards of another 1000 to that and present car parking would be woefully inadequate. The car parks near B and M and Sainsbury's are customer only and are monitored. I suspect if it were a realistic possibility we would all like a stadium with full development in Top Town but it is a "romantic" pipe dream. The traffic chaos on match days would be unimaginable. Thanks to the new one-way system it took the bus I was on SEVENTEEN minutes to get from the bottom of the bridge at the back of St James church to the turning point on the approach to the bus terminus and that was mid morning on a Friday. It's Peakes Parkway or nowt and the council have just paid good money for EXPERTS to confirm that..

The fact that Codalmighty endorse Garth Lane as a realistic site for the stadium just proves to me how ridiculous they are. Anything Fenty suggests they'll find a way of opposing it. Access to a new stadium via Alexandra Road? Really? The site is absolutely tiny, there's no room for parking. Say what you like about people getting a park and ride but it's just a hassle. I want to be able to drive to the football easily, I don't want it to take up anymore of my day than it already does so the idea of driving to a bus station, then waiting for the bus, riding it to the ground and the same on the return does not appeal. Why are people so opposed to the Parkway site? I really don't see what the problem is.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.