Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 202 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,012 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
August 19, 2016, 3:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
So there we have it Peaks Parkway is the only site that is available, so its either there or we don't have a new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 276
gaz57
August 19, 2016, 4:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
20 years to think about it not surprised at 10 years to build it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 276
rancido
August 19, 2016, 4:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96

Thanks for the links.

It makes me wonder how anything anywhere is ever built in Grimsby if documentation like this is needed for a possible football ground.

Like someone posted yesterday - and is mentioned early in the report - the club has no money or prospect of the major investment needed to make the stadium happen, and I am sure somewhere in that report will be a get out clause for the council to kick it into the long grass.  

It has been said many times but whilst Fenty is there we have very little chance of extra substantial investment, so we are caught between a rock and a hard place hoping the council will bale us out. The council will come under intense scrutiny from the public and no doubt if it goes ahead at all it will be a compromise that suits no one.

It has been reported that an as yet unknown investor is prepared to be involved in funding a new stadium with JF on the board so that throws your comment out the window !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 276
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 19, 2016, 4:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

It has been reported that an as yet unknown investor is prepared to be involved in funding a new stadium with JF on the board so that throws your comment out the window !

No it doesn't throw it out at all. The only investor that might be prepared to be involved will be a national company property developer and hence nothing to do with the club or the stadium once built. While Fenty is in sole charge the club has no other resources except via him. If Fenty cannot guarantee immediate planning permission for several hundred houses, shops, schools, roads .... etc. for that developer to make a profit on, plus the associated ancillary services that the council will need to provide, then there is no chance of outside investment in building a stadium.

If by some chance it did happen then Fenty also has to guarantee that there will be enough income to cover all the maintenance and running costs of the stadium. It is not enough to say that the public will use it, that businesses will use it or that the increased capacity will mean increased revenue. There will have to be some sort of outside investment in the community side of the stadium either from the council or from private funding. Clearly NELC will never be in a position to do it, the council cannot run the leisure centre/auditorium/swimming baths complex at a profit when all that was built without NELC money. The council is trying to get rid of direct responsibilities onto outside contractors for virtually everything it can lay its hands on. So NELC is unlikely to want to be involved in running a community stadium I'd have thought.

That brings us back to the club doing the job as some sort of management company, as planned at York's stadium. But that too requires outside backing so once again we return to Fenty's role at the club and his failure to find that backing over the past X years of trying.

It's more than a rock and a hard place. It's a boulder and a mountain.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 276
Cloudy
August 19, 2016, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I thought I had read somewhere that the new ground and facilities would be owned by a new holding company which would be owned jointly between the council and JSF. GTFC would pay a peppercorn rent for the stadium.

Have I made that up? I really thought that was what I had been told/read
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 276
Davec
August 19, 2016, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Well from skimming through sections of the documents released, I'll read through them all word by word in time to come but I'll do it in stages.

Early signs are that Peaks Parkway have got 3 seperate owners so that creates problems because we need all 3 owners to agree to sell the land or atleast allow this development to take place, so a fair bit of negotiation is needed to achieve this.

Interesting to note that the council are willing utilise compulsory purchase orders but only in certain circumstances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 276
promotion plaice
August 19, 2016, 5:06pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

So as I understand it today's news is that planning consultants SLR have identified Peaks Parkway as the only site "reasonably available" and therefore will be recommending it in a report to N.E. Lincs Council at the council's cabinet meeting on 31 August.
The councillors will then decide which one to take forward as the most viable option.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 276
Les Brechin
August 19, 2016, 5:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
I'll believe it's going to happen when I see the first sod of earth dug and even then someone would probably find a nest of rare crested newts or the like nearby!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 276
monkeyboy
August 19, 2016, 5:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Time wasting exercise. Defreitas will be love going round the houses with this to evetualy end nowhere. the guy needs a slap as he wont let it happen, some people really dont care about taking this town forward if theres nothing in it for them. hang the lot of them thats what i say.!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 276
Marinerz93
August 19, 2016, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Stadium up date, version 1,000,000,000.2 fully installed, this is as bad as that annoying java updates or windows 10 upgrade.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.