Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 89 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,060 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
August 27, 2016, 9:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Maybe no hate certainly bitter resentment.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 276
Chrisblor
August 27, 2016, 11:34am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
I think Cod Almighty are being incredibly idealistic. A town centre stadium would be great, but at some point you have to start being pragmatic and accept that the financial, political and legal hurdles on the path to it are too high. Recent Diary and twitter posts from them seem to infer that the independent report is some sort of Fenty / NE Lincs Council whitewash which was always going to recommend Peaks Parkway. I'm no great fan of Fenty but when you start digging in to the 400+ pages it becomes pretty clear why Peaks Parkway is the only feasible option.

Cod Almighty seem to believe we're operating in an environment where the club can continue to exist at Blundell Park indefinitely while we spend a decade trying to get a new stadium built at the docks, but that's patently not the case when the club's accounts show we're hemorrhaging money at Blundell Park. Their response to that is there's apparently no evidence that we'll make more money at a new stadium. Seems pretty obvious to me (conference facilities / bigger hospitality facilities / more bars & catering outlets / hiring out 4G pitches etc), but just feels like they want to argue for the sake of it because they won't be able to go have a pint at the Rutland before watching town anymore

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 276
rancido
August 27, 2016, 12:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

You and Old Codger are absolutely right everyone needs to try to separate Fenty and the stadium in our minds if we stand any chance of being objective. This Fenty dome nonsense you'd have thought he'd of written this report not independent experts.

It's also worth noting that the concept and initial work done in moving from BP was carried out before JF became involved with the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2016, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

It's also worth noting that the concept and initial work done in moving from BP was carried out before JF became involved with the club.

Absolutely. Just shows how long it's dragged on.
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 276
Ipswin
August 27, 2016, 12:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Chrisblor
just feels like they want to argue for the sake of it because they won't be able to go have a pint at the Rutland before watching town anymore

Why won't they?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2016, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Ipswin

Why won't they?

Exactly have a pint there and then get the bus over or cycle (they seem to love the idea of ecosensitive travel) to the Parkway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 276
Ipswin
August 27, 2016, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
I really don't understand this criticism of Cod Almighty.
Surely everyone is entitled to their opinion (although it often feels like they aren't on here)
The opposing view, which so many here don't agree with, is posted on their own site, not on here, so why the  constant digs?

Private Message
Reply: 226 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2016, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
I really don't understand this criticism of Cod Almighty.
Surely everyone is entitled to their opinion (although it often feels like they aren't on here)
The opposing view, which so many here don't agree with, is posted on their own site, not on here, so why the  constant digs?

Why does there have to be a 'right' or a 'wrong'? As far as I can see, CA have decided they would like to see a stadium in the town centre - it's not going to happen, NELC and their consultants have decided on PP, now let's move on, get our arses in gear and back the construction of a new stadium and new future for GTFC. Of course, it won't be what everyone wants but ultimately, it's been decided that it's the best way forward.

What CA appear to be saying, and I've said before myself, is that they don't want a new stadium to be JF's legacy to the club as a kind of vanity project. So what? What has happened has happened, decisions have been made that haven't worked out, Mr Fenty has admitted as much. We will all have our own view about Mr Fenty's reign at the club - maybe some will see a new stadium as his legacy, others might think of flags, flasks or failure. Whatever we all think, we need to back the stadium and the team, the club's future is more important than its' past.
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 276
Ipswin
August 27, 2016, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why does there have to be a 'right' or a 'wrong'? As far as I can see, CA have decided they would like to see a stadium in the town centre - it's not going to happen, NELC and their consultants have decided on PP, now let's move on, get our arses in gear and back the construction of a new stadium and new future for GTFC. Of course, it won't be what everyone wants but ultimately, it's been decided that it's the best way forward.

What CA appear to be saying, and I've said before myself, is that they don't want a new stadium to be JF's legacy to the club as a kind of vanity project. So what? What has happened has happened, decisions have been made that haven't worked out, Mr Fenty has admitted as much. We will all have our own view about Mr Fenty's reign at the club - maybe some will see a new stadium as his legacy, others might think of flags, flasks or failure. Whatever we all think, we need to back the stadium and the team, the club's future is more important than its' past.

I don't think there has to be a 'right or wrong' its just that the Fishy posters always think they are right and CA wrong

But I still don't see what damage CAs opposition to the PP site can do, its purely their opinion, unless of course they side with the objectors when planning permission, plans etc come up for review or inquiry.

I don't think CA have ever failed to back the team but 'back the stadium' - how do you do that - offer your services as a brickie?

If everybody agreed on everything neither this site or GO would have much future

Private Message
Reply: 228 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 28, 2016, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think there has to be a 'right or wrong' its just that the Fishy posters always think they are right and CA wrong

But I still don't see what damage CAs opposition to the PP site can do, its purely their opinion, unless of course they side with the objectors when planning permission, plans etc come up for review or inquiry.

I don't think CA have ever failed to back the team but 'back the stadium' - how do you do that - offer your services as a brickie?

If everybody agreed on everything neither this site or GO would have much future

If you want to! Seriously though, whatever can be done, needs to be done - most importantly, selling the idea to people who aren't sure. I had a conversation with a sceptic last week regarding the merits of an in-town site, he was convinced that would cause less traffic issues as more would travel by train! Finally, he accepted that his scepticism was driven by where he lived rather than anything else.
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.