Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 90 Guests

Stadium Update

This thread currently has 35,059 views. Print
28 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
August 26, 2016, 3:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,557
Gold Stars: 174
Why are so many exiles against PP? Do you really think your wives will be happy being told they can go around Freshney Place while you're at Garth Lane stadium?
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 276
Kris2
August 26, 2016, 4:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from gtfc98

The fact that Codalmighty endorse Garth Lane as a realistic site for the stadium just proves to me how ridiculous they are. Anything Fenty suggests they'll find a way of opposing it. Access to a new stadium via Alexandra Road? Really? The site is absolutely tiny, there's no room for parking. Say what you like about people getting a park and ride but it's just a hassle. I want to be able to drive to the football easily, I don't want it to take up anymore of my day than it already does so the idea of driving to a bus station, then waiting for the bus, riding it to the ground and the same on the return does not appeal. Why are people so opposed to the Parkway site? I really don't see what the problem is.

You know they aren't thinking of practical applications when they say things like that. It's more like "Right next door to the Telegraph,Docks and the Heritage Centre. Good old local institutions! A local site for local people!" Already being on a main bus route be damned what we need is a local stadium for local people.
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 276
Vance Warner
August 26, 2016, 9:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,819
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from gtfc98

The fact that Codalmighty endorse Garth Lane as a realistic site for the stadium just proves to me how ridiculous they are. Anything Fenty suggests they'll find a way of opposing it. Access to a new stadium via Alexandra Road? Really? The site is absolutely tiny, there's no room for parking. Say what you like about people getting a park and ride but it's just a hassle. I want to be able to drive to the football easily, I don't want it to take up anymore of my day than it already does so the idea of driving to a bus station, then waiting for the bus, riding it to the ground and the same on the return does not appeal. Why are people so opposed to the Parkway site? I really don't see what the problem is.

The latest effort from Cod Almighty explains their view a bit more.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5955

They make some valid points and I worry that JF is desperate to get us into any site that will have us. I always remember after the Great Coates site fell through he was quoted as saying "I used to lay in bed at night worrying how we would get people out to Great Coates." That was after putting a small fortune into the project.

I think most would agree that a town centre site fed by improved public transport would be preferable. For those wondering about congestion 52,000 go to St James' Park in the centre of Newcastle once a fortnight without too many problems. The question is can the club survive long enough to wait for a better option?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 276
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 27, 2016, 4:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,906
Gold Stars: 179
Personally I don't think it's just the club that needs to worry about surviving. The local community (business' etc) should also be VERY worried if the club ever, heaven forbid, ceased to exist.

This is where the 'realism' has to sink in. 5000 being brought  into town every other week is a hell of a lot of money to many business'. Or are business owners thinking that they will still have the same amount of expenditure? I know that many of these business', especially those in the direct vicinity of the ground, DO rely on the footfall created by the club. This then knocks on to staff that are employed as a direct impact felt by the extra people brought in for the games.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 276
Grim74
August 27, 2016, 7:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Vance Warner

They make some valid points and I worry that JF is desperate to get us into any site that will have us. I always remember after the Great Coates site fell through he was quoted as saying "I used to lay in bed at night worrying how we would get people out to Great Coates." That was after putting a small fortune into the project.

I think most would agree that a town centre site fed by improved public transport would be preferable. For those wondering about congestion 52,000 go to St James' Park in the centre of Newcastle once a fortnight without too many problems. The question is can the club survive long enough to wait for a better option?

The Fenty hating cod sound like the bitter EU remainers there is no point in waffling on about what could be because it's not going to happen, after 20 odd years or so we all just want the dam thing built now, the decision has been made and we now seem to have more than a glimmer of hope this could actually come to fruition so it's time we all showed some solidarity and backed the club and the councils soon decision.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 276
Cloudy
August 27, 2016, 8:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Vance Warner

Sorry but not all of us fall for the Cod Almighty rehetoric & propaganda ( the exact same thing they accuse Fenty of!)
Now I am no fan of our major shareholder in any shape or form BUT CA writers are as arrogant and have absolutely no reason to be so!

I think a Garth Lane, Town centre option would be terrible, the parking/travel issues they accuse PP of causing would be multiplied 100 times over. Shoppers and football fans don't mix well.

CA come across as idealistic liberal exiles with rose tinted glasses about NE Lincs.

We should keep our heritage by preserving Town centre areas, our heritage on the docks etc not build a sparky new stadium there. Build that on the park way and kick start NE Lincs where the modern can live in addition to our historic buildings NOT instead of
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 276
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2016, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Grim74

The Fenty hating cod sound like the bitter EU remainers there is no point in waffling on about what could be because it's not going to happen, after 20 odd years or so we all just want the dam thing built now, the decision has been made and we now seem to have more than a glimmer of hope this could actually come to fruition so it's time we all showed some solidarity and backed the club and the councils soon decision.

Sometimes this phrase 'Fenty hating' is a little bit tiresome. Just because people disagree with/don't like what someone has done doesn't mean they hate said person.

I disagree with/don't like several things JF has done since he's owned the majority of GTFC - that doesn't mean I don't respect the fact that he has done his best to keep the football club going and he has clearly put his heart & soul into the stadium project.

NELC have spent a lot of money checking out the various sites - they've come to the conclusion that PP is the way to go. As GTFC fans, first and foremost, we should now accept that and run with it. If John Fenty says that the club's financial future depends on a new stadium, then run with that too because none of us are in a position to do any different, even if we wanted to.
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2016, 8:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I  enjoy reading Codalmighty but I'm not really sure what they are trying to achieve here. Frankly anyone can string together an unlikely chain of events and say well I can conceive of this therefore it should be an option. But it's not practical or likely though is it, the problems with the dock look endless, it's contaminated, it's on a flood plane, it's an irregular shape, it's too small, it bound on one side by listed buildings, it's bound on the other by a financially prohibitive site option, it has access issues. But guess what we can put the pitches somewhere else, we  don't need any parking, we can alter the design to change the shape of the stadium and minimise the circulation requirements. Guess what.we end up with an oppressive bare bones stadium shoe horned onto the site, and it cost a fortune to build it. But hey ho that's an option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 276
Grim74
August 27, 2016, 9:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
If the CA don't hate Fenty they have a funny way of showing it, they are like one of those snappy little dogs all bark and no bite the annoying kind that just don't give up the kind you just want to stand on.

They constanly spin the same old tired record the " the stadium is a Fenty vanity project, fenty dome" blah blah blah blah.

Fenty can have his head carved in the brickwork Mount Rushmore style for all I care if it means we leave the lost in time relic of BP.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 276
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2016, 9:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Grim74
If the CA don't hate Fenty they have a funny way of showing it, they are like one of those snappy little dogs all bark and no bite the annoying kind that just don't give up the kind you just want to stand on.

They constanly spin the same old tired record the " the stadium is a Fenty vanity project, fenty dome" blah blah blah blah.

Fenty can have his head carved in the brickwork Mount Rushmore style for all I care if it means we leave the lost in time relic of BP.

You and Old Codger are absolutely right everyone needs to try to separate Fenty and the stadium in our minds if we stand any chance of being objective. This Fenty dome nonsense you'd have thought he'd of written this report not independent experts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.