Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,352 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Town Monkey
June 24, 2016, 1:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from bluerose13x

If these big London-based multinational banks are threatening to pull out, let them.

I hope (dream?) we can start manufacturing things in this Country again, with British companies spread across the country instead of London sucking in all the wealth, being held to ransom by London multinationals, and less reliant on cheap imports of trainers from China, cheap imported steel flooding the market etc. Pipe dream? I don't know..

The Banks and the staff they employ make a huge contribution to this country's tax take.  Even if a couple of them move to Europe or the Far East it will have a big impact on jobs and our ability to deliver services.

I fear it is a pipe dream.  Where is all this magic and currently dormant manufacturing going to come from.  Why would people invest here rather than in the EU for example?  You might get some thriving small businesses which would be great but to fill the hole left by organisations leaving?  I'd say that's unlikely.

On a separate point, I wouldn't call all leavers xenophobes.  There may be a small minority that are but on the whole I think that people voted because of a specific issue that was close to their hearts, be that immigration, democracy or something else.  My issue with this is that most of the ones I spoke to and some on here, were either labouring under false assumptions (or facts) like the £350m lie or had a perception that couldn't be changed by actual facts.  There was a huge amount of misinformation spread by both sides which was unhelpful and confused people.

Basically, the politicians on both sides have failed this country, both during the campaign and in the many years before it.  We are all likely to suffer some discomfort in the short term and we'll never know whether the world, in the long term, would have been better with us in.

I love my country but right now I'm pretty disillusioned with it.  I'm sure when the dust settles things might seem different but for now I feel like we've walked straight into the world's first Idiocracy where experts are replaced with ignorance and lies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 356
grimsby pete
June 24, 2016, 1:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,839
Gold Stars: 222
There's a lot of sore losers on here today,

Mal you think its going to be all doom and gloom,

Well that's another lie you were fed,

Have a bit of faith in your own country we will be better of you wait and see.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 356
James77
June 24, 2016, 1:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Quoted from forza ivano

you might not like it but financial services basically keep this country afloat. they start pulling out and we will be in even more trouble than we already are

Also, the most subsidised industry in British history - hundreds of billions of taxpayer's money has been spent propping up the City of London, and tens of billions a year of our money continues to be spent this way. A quick google search will tell you the sums involved, eye-watering.

The City might not like this, but their shiny offices and big salaries are dependent on the state. London benefits from a massive subsidy that the rest of the country can only dream of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 356
Hagrid
June 24, 2016, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,532
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from grimsby pete
There's a lot of sore losers on here today,

Mal you think its going to be all doom and gloom,

Well that's another lie you were fed,

Have a bit of faith in your own country we will be better of you wait and see.

Sore losers?! The decision isnt going to impact on your life is it!! Its going to have the biggest impact on the young who didnt want to leave the EU! Tell me Pete, wheres the right in that? As if it wasnt hard enough to take your first steps on the property ladder, or try build a family with already low wages for young workers, we now suffer the injustice of a decison 3 quarters of young voters didnt vote for. Sore losers no, sufferes oh god yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 356
James77
June 24, 2016, 2:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Wow, there's a fair bit of shock and rage on this thread. A lot of people who voted for both sides really didn’t see this coming.

The strong Brexit vote in areas that economically have been left behind in the last 30 years (including GY) swung it. This is no coincidence….there is much for the establishment to ponder, especially the Labour Party.

To those who voted leave: politicians have oversold their ability to transform your lives and it will take years for any reforms to take effect. Farage and the nutters around him are definitely not the answer – the future PM and government must focus on unity (48% of people voted not to leave the EU) and good relations with Europe (as distinct from being fixed on an EU federalist fast track) are a must.

To those who voted remain: don’t swallow the hysteria being peddled this morning. I’m surprised that so many are shocked by the result (didn’t you think this outcome might happen?), but in the last few hours I’ve heard a lot Remain people claiming to respect ‘Leave’ voters, only to then lose their rag over the result completely in child-like fashion - not a good look. But it’s good to hear some key Remain voices wanting to play a part in securing a sensible post-Brexit settlement for the UK, this is what's needed.

I voted for Brexit. Six months ago I would have voted differently. But I reluctantly decided that our future wasn’t best served by the status quo - ie. a dysfunctional EU that is beyond reform, hopeless at tackling the major issues of our time, works more in the interests of big business than people and encourages social dumping.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 356
MarinerMal
June 24, 2016, 2:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from bluerose13x

If there's nobody to work on the land, farmers will have to offer a decent living wage that brits will do it for, instead of the government handing out tax credits to the underpaid. Yes, prices will go up but the government tax take from wages will go down.

Even with companies like Tesco who's staff make their money up to a living wage by claiming tax credits. And staff wanting a living wage being undercut by EU nationals.

Quoted from Robocod
Working the land is back breaking work, pay enough wages and you'll get workers locally.

You say these things as if they are EU issues. They aren't they are UK issues. Just because we are no longer part of the EU doesn't mean Tesco will up there wages and seasonal fruit pickers will get a rise. How about those Brits get out and earn their money instead of excepting hand outs from the state, rather than say it doesn't pay enough for me? If you haven't got a job...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 356
MarinerMal
June 24, 2016, 2:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from James77
The strong Brexit vote in areas that economically have been left behind in the last 30 years (including GY) swung it.

Again not because of the EU but because of UK governments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 356
Ipswin
June 24, 2016, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
we will be better of you wait and see.

Bloody hell Pete I'm not sure you and I have got that long!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 356
forza ivano
June 24, 2016, 2:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from James77
Wow, there's a fair bit of shock and rage on this thread. A lot of people who voted for both sides really didn’t see this coming.

The strong Brexit vote in areas that economically have been left behind in the last 30 years (including GY) swung it. This is no coincidence….there is much for the establishment to ponder, especially the Labour Party.

To those who voted leave: politicians have oversold their ability to transform your lives and it will take years for any reforms to take effect. Farage and the nutters around him are definitely not the answer – the future PM and government must focus on unity (48% of people voted not to leave the EU) and good relations with Europe (as distinct from being fixed on an EU federalist fast track) are a must.

To those who voted remain: don’t swallow the hysteria being peddled this morning. I’m surprised that so many are shocked by the result (didn’t you think this outcome might happen?), but in the last few hours I’ve heard a lot Remain people claiming to respect ‘Leave’ voters, only to then lose their rag over the result completely in child-like fashion - not a good look. But it’s good to hear some key Remain voices wanting to play a part in securing a sensible post-Brexit settlement for the UK, this is what's needed.

I voted for Brexit. Six months ago I would have voted differently. But I reluctantly decided that our future wasn’t best served by the status quo - ie. a dysfunctional EU that is beyond reform, hopeless at tackling the major issues of our time, works more in the interests of big business than people and encourages social dumping.

JAMES - this has all the hallmarks of a complete ballsup. there are so many implications that nobody has thought of . take fishing , yeah we can impose our own fishing boundaries, but what if we need to go fishing in other waters? who's going to police our waters? we've only got a couple of patrol boats. who's going do all this fishing? we haven't got a fleet left.
what's going to happen to agriculture? Many farmers depend greatly on the CAP.
what happens if and when Scotland leaves? What do we do about the border with Eire? What are the implications for Northern Ireland and particularly Gibraltar?   How are we going to maintain our position as a financial capital of the world? What happens to the thousands of OAP's living in Spain? What happens to Education, the NHS , social services etc when the inevitable cuts following a recession are imposed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 356
James77
June 24, 2016, 2:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

Again not because of the EU but because of UK goverments.

It's partly because of EU enabling capital and labour to move freely within its boundaries. So manufacturing industry has migrated from the UK to Eastern Europe, where wages are far lower

With horrible timing, the other half's friend was told last week that she is being made redundant. She works in the back office for a major UK travel agency. The company is moving many of its back office functions to Romania, no joke.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 356
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.