Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,558 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
June 24, 2016, 8:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +795
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from James77

True, but the EU has helped to accelerate this shift

How? If you think it's because of cheaper wages that would have happened and does happen but to the likes of India, China, Indonesia etc not just because of the EU. At least if it is to other parts of the EU it would help keep more people in whatever country you imply took our manufacturing firms, helping reduce the Leave's campaign's exaggerated immigration issues.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 356
forza ivano
June 24, 2016, 8:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,304
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from RoboCod

Or maybe listening to the pro-Exit independent experts and voting with your instinct? There were TWO sides to this, in a Democratic vote.

You have no idea how things will go, what new initiatives can be explored, you just assume you are on the correct side and that a 100% certain rosy future has been denied you and you lash out at anyone who voted the opposite way.
It's a shame the same effort wasn't exerted by disgruntled voters when this rotten Government where elected even after we'd had over 4 years to see how awful they were.

And exactly who are these pro exit dependent experts robocod? Nigel farage? Mme. le pen? There are NO credible economists who have provided a cogent argument as to how this country could prosper outside the eu. You might call them the establishment but EVERY credible body has said that it will be bad news. You cannot name a single foreign country that thought it was a good idea for us to leave. People outside the uk who gave advice were interfering mates of Cameron who had no right to express an opinion. Let's just deal with one or two facts. The pound has plummeted.that means imports are 5-10% more expensive overnight.we import far more than we export. That means your food your cars your tools your clothes will cost more.that means inflation. You get inflation you get interest rate rises which means your mortgage goes up. That means because wages aren't going up you have less money to spend on anything but food bills mortgage etc. That means you don't spend as much money in the shops, which means the shop lays off staff or closes down. That means more people on the dole, less money coming in tax and more money spent on tax. That means the govt has to put up taxes or cut spending even more to cover the increase in benefit payments. And so it goes on. Recession strikes people get poorer crime goes up.  But don't worry we've got rid of the immigrants and the interfering Europeans  ,and we can wave our union jacks with pride. You're living in a some sort of sixties dreamworld
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 356
KingstonMariner
June 24, 2016, 8:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from James77

True, but the EU has helped to accelerate this shift

The EU merely gives business a chance to remain in Europe. If it didn't go to cheaper countries in Europe it'd end up outside the continent or disappear completely due to far eastern competition.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 356
mariner91
June 24, 2016, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,847
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from RoboCod

Or maybe listening to the pro-Exit independent experts and voting with your instinct? There were TWO sides to this, in a Democratic vote.

You have no idea how things will go, what new initiatives can be explored, you just assume you are on the correct side and that a 100% certain rosy future has been denied you and you lash out at anyone who voted the opposite way.
It's a shame the same effort wasn't exerted by disgruntled voters when this rotten Government where elected even after we'd had over 4 years to see how awful they were.

Who were? Please, genuinely, give me an example of an independent expert who said leaving would be beneficial, I'm yet to see one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 356
KingstonMariner
June 24, 2016, 9:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Boris went to Eton so you could say he is well educated and knows what he is talking about,

The trouble with being young is you do not know first hand how great this country is,

You said we had everything when we were young ,well that's a laugh,

We got what we worked for and did not have mobile phones, computers and in the early days an inside toilet,

The country had money because we did not give it away to the EU,

When the European Market started it was just for trade and that is why we joined,

BUT

They would  not let us in for years turning us down time and time again,

You have nothing to worry about if you have faith in our GREAT country,

Also you said  it will not be effecting us old ones, well I do have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren,

I voted to leave because I honestly thought it would be better for them.

Pete for someone of your mature years you can't half be naive. Boris Johnson is very well educated. He knows what he's doing. He's pulled the wool over people's eyes.

He was sitting on the fence 6 months ago. Waiting to see which way he thought people would go, then declared for 'Leave". He's a career politician. An opportunist. A highly ambitious, rich man.

Classic Old Etonian. Like his rival Dave.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 356
ginnywings
June 24, 2016, 9:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,156
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from bluerose13x

Just because you didn't get the result you wanted doesn't mean you should just claim the majority of the people that voted are suffering from  xenophobia. I read your kneejerk comments as saying that everyone who voted to Leave is a xenophobe.  I find that claim insulting. I know this result has prob shocked, surprised and prob even scared you. Take a deep breath give it a few days for the news to sink in and for the dust to settle, then come back rational and calm.

Where to begin? Firstly, i am rational and calm thank you. I'm of the older generation and have learned through experience that things don't always go the way you had hoped and getting irate about it changes nothing.

Secondly, my comments are not kneejerk as i have thought all along that if we were to leave, it would probably be the immigration issue that would settle it. I read somewhere today that the campaign was supercharged by austerity and immigration and for me those topics should have been just a sideshow to the wider issues.

Thirdly, every single person i know that voted to leave, including members of my family, used the words immigration and independence in their argument and i truly believe that the xenophobes swayed the vote to leave significantly. I never said everyone who voted to leave is a xenophobe; i'm not dumb enough to think that.

Lastly, i am not shocked, nor surprised but am a little scared if the truth be known. Not so much for me but the younger generation. I am sorry that you find my claim insulting but i frankly don't give a fook.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 356
Neilo83
June 24, 2016, 9:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Hagrid

Not at all, but in this instance the ones who will suffer most, voted for exactly the opposite. How can that be seen as fair? We have been sold down the river well and truly by older generations who havent given a second thought to the consequences of the decision they've been brainwashed into voting for

Why are you just blaming the older generation, there's plenty of young people that have voted leave aswell, and don't u think for a second that the older (more experienced) generation have done what they've done for the sake of there children/grandchildren? I know i have, i'm 33 and i voted out for the sake of my 11 year old boy and my 5 year old girl, i definitely think they will have a better future now we're out of the eu... So please get off your angry high horse..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 356
KingstonMariner
June 24, 2016, 9:12pm
Meths Drinker
This is 1979 all over again. The unions shot the Labour movement in the foot with strikes against wage caps, allowing the Tories in (backed by lots of working class voters) who promptly emasculated the unions, and manufacturing.

This time the working class has committed suicide. The poorest are the ones who'll suffer the most. Everything Maringer and Forza have said is correct.

And it's goodbye to the UK. It'll be down to the one kingdom of England (with the principality of Wales) now. So what the SNP and the IRA have failed to achieve, Nige and Boris have done for them. Far from making Britain great again, it's going to kill Britain off as a united country.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 356
forza ivano
June 24, 2016, 9:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,304
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from mariner91

Oh well if you say it's going to be alright, despite the overwhelming predictions from experts that it won't be, with no evidence of your own that it will be and no response to the myriad of problems we're going to face which have been articulately put across by more knowledgeable posters on here then that's fine then.

Hagrid was right. The older generation, such as yourself Pete, and I'm not meaning to pick entirely on you but you're the one on this thread who has made a comment which sums it up, have shafted my generation. Your (generations)belief that it will be alright despite the predictions by independent experts that it won't be is so infuriating. It encapsulates the fact that our population is leaning towards an anti-intellectual consensus summed up by Gove when he said we're "fed up of listening to experts". Well if we're not going to listen to the experts then who the fuck are we meant to listen to? How stupid must we look to the rest of the world?! From their neutral, objective stance they've seen us vote against what is commonly thought to be the best way forward which, unfortunately for them, will also impact their economies to some degree.

Your generation had cheap housing, free education, social mobility, an economy on the up and the ability to manufacture things. We've got none of that. We must be the first generation in history that is significantly worse off than the generation that left before. I hope you're all proud. And why have you sold us down the river? Because, and I quote "you can't walk 50 yards in the town without hearing a foreign language", you said that in the discussion further on the other forum. Well bra-fucking-vo, we're all very grateful that your inwards looking, xenophobic attitude came before our future prosperity. The worst thing about the over 65s clinching the Leave win is that you won't even be around to face the consequences for too long and you're all retired so won't have to suffer the hardships it's going to bring as much. Your generation got wealthy off the back of the EU. Before joining our economy was the slowest growing out of the G7 countries, it grew the quickest once we were a member. But that is something you've all denied our generation now.

Both sides in this referendum have been utterly awful. But the amount of lies, fear mongering and xenophobia from the Leave campaign has been disgusting. Even today, I have had people argue with me that we'll have £350 million a week to spend now despite the fact that many independents have shown this to be nowhere near the case. They plastered it on their bus for fuck sake and kept it even when they proved to be liars.

This referendum should have never have taken place. An issue as complex and emotive as this should have been made by the people who are elected to understand the impact a decision could have and are there to make the important decisions for us. It is extremely telling that one of the biggest differences between Remain and Leave voters is level of education and I'm sorry to say it, but that is a downside to democracy; the stupid get as much say as the intelligent. I think it was John Stuart Mill who suggested that the higher educated you are the more weight your vote should carry and certainly with something like this, where a lot of people seem to have literally no clue about the ramifications, it should have been that way.

I saw a post doing the round on social media and it struck a chord because it's very true:
"A quick note on the first three tragedies. Firstly, it was the working classes who voted for us to leave because they were economically disregarded and it is they who will suffer most in the short term from the dearth of jobs and investment. They have merely swapped one distant and unreachable elite for another one.
Secondly, the younger generation has lost the right live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of the lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debt of our predecessors.
Thirdly and perhaps most signifcantly, we now live in a post-factual democracy. When the facts met the myths they were as useless as bullets bouncing off the bodies of aliens in a HG Wells novel. When Michael Gove said "the British people are sick of experts" he was right. But can anybody tell me the last time a prevailing culture of anti-intellectualism has lead to anything other than bigotry?"

A great and pertinent post from someone who, like myself, will now suffer thanks to other generations. I am fortunate in that the qualification I'm studying for will still enable me to work in many other countries relatively easily should I choose to. The majority are not so lucky.

Scotland will leave now and the UK will break up. That will further impact the economy and be a real ballache to sort out, not to mention expensive. A dark, dark day in our history.

Probably the best post I have ever read on this board(poojahs rant was comedy gold ) I am 52 but I am so angry because it didn't need to be like this. Now the generations younger than me are going to have to deal with the consequence of this vote for years. And you are right yours is the first generation for god knows how long that is going to be poorer than their parents. And for what? For control over borders, that will let in the self same people because we still need foreigners to pick our veg, to build our houses and to be our carers. And we can proclaim that at least Europe doesn't dictate to us when in reality our industry will still have to obey all their rules and diktats in order to sell to them. You couldn't make it up
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 356
Hagrid
June 24, 2016, 9:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,527
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from Neilo83

Why are you just blaming the older generation, there's plenty of young people that have voted leave aswell, and don't u think for a second that the older (more experienced) generation have done what they've done for the sake of there children/grandchildren? I know i have, i'm 33 and i voted out for the sake of my 11 year old boy and my 5 year old girl, i definitely think they will have a better future now we're out of the eu... So please get off your angry high horse..

75%, as i stated earlier- if you bother to read other posts- of 18-24 year olds VOTED REMAIN. Yet we will bear the brunt of others decision making? You can say 25% voted to leave, but i can assure you, speak to many people in that age bracket, and you near enough get the same answer. Worry that our views have been ignored yet again, and insecurity about any future for ourselves and potential families
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.