Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,350 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
June 24, 2016, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,816
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from grimsby pete

Of course this country is great and if you don't think so,

You can always vote to leave.

Well that is utter nonsense. What will he do? Have a Hagrid referendum? Unless you haven't noticed his ability to move abroad easily just decreased emphatically. One of the opportunities no longer afforded to our generation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 356
bluerose13x
June 24, 2016, 7:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
Quoted from Hagrid
This country isnt great, theres nothing great about it ffs! All this bullshit make it great again, its never been that! We didnt want or ask for a referendum, it was dumped on us, and our generation will suffer the most

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 22 years old. I wanted the referendum. I wanted and voted for us to leave. I feel my generation has the most to gain from leaving. My parents taught me this country was great, and once it may have been. I feel we need to look after ourselves for once, put ourselves 1st. I feel it maybe painful for a while, but hold on, get the right people making the right choices and we'll get there

There where always going to be one side that "Won" and the other side that "Lost". I'm not going to gloat, I can tell your peed off, maybe take a couple of days for the dust to settle? Come back in a few years and if we've ended up still in the excrement (I admit it feels like we're in the excrement right now) you can say you where right and that I screwed the country over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 356
mariner91
June 24, 2016, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from bluerose13x

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 22 years old. I wanted the referendum. I wanted and voted for us to leave. I feel my generation has the most to gain from leaving. My parents taught me this country was great, and once it may have been. I feel we need to look after ourselves for once, put ourselves 1st. I feel it maybe painful for a while, but hold on, get the right people making the right choices and we'll get there

There where always going to be one side that "Won" and the other side that "Lost". I'm not going to gloat, I can tell your peed off, maybe take a couple of days for the dust to settle? Come back in a few years and if we've ended up still in the excrement (I admit it feels like we're in the excrement right now) you can say you where right and that I screwed the country over.

I think that's a fair comment. Emotions have obviously run high today and there is no definitive proof that this will end well or not. Obviously we all have differing opinions as to how well this change will go. I want the UK to be great, I believe there were, and still are, many things of which we should be proud of. However, my greatest pride in this country was always how tolerant we were compared to nearly any other country and today it seems we've voted in a way that shows us in a less favourable light, at least to outsiders. I was talking to my head nurse today who is a Polish lady, who speaks perfect English and has worked for the NHS the entire 8 years she has been here. A nicer lady you couldn't wish to meet and she expressed great sadness at the result of the referendum saying it felt as though the country had voted to reject her and others like her, it was heartbreaking. But democracy, for all it's flaws, is worth persevering with and the people have spoken no matter how much I or others dislike the result. Now we have to move on and try to make the best of the hand we've been dealt.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 356
Maringer
June 24, 2016, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from grimsby pete

The older generation are not as easy fooled as you  young ones,

We have grandchildren  and great grandchildren to think about,

You forget we know what it is like when we ruled our own country,

We will still trade with the euro countries as well as the rest of the world,

The pound will drop shares will drop,

BUT

They will rise again they always do,

You might even find it easier to get on the property ladder,

Another younger member said you have no chance of getting a council house,

Again you might find it easier now.

Cheer up it might never happen.

Pete, to call you hopelessly misguided is probably about as generous as I can manage to be.

I remember when we ruled our own country. Today, yesterday and tomorrow. The EU has not ruled us - most of the regulations the Kippers were complaining about are entirely reasonable and will need to be duplicated pretty much one for one when we go through the long and expensive process of rewriting our laws. The 'red tape' nonsense the Leave campaign has gone on about is just that - nonsense. Once we're out of the single market, the paperwork and regulations required to deal with EU members will more than make up for any difference.

You state with certainty that the value of the pound will rise again as will the value of shares. What makes you think this? Here's a hint: companies often go bust and their shares become worthless. The damage done to our economy by this vote will lead many more companies to fail, costing livelihoods and damaging lives.

Most bizarre of all is the claim it will be easier to get a council house! What planet are you living on? Council houses aren't being built - the current government is even forcing housing associations to sell off their stocks at a discount! The replacement for the current government will be even more cluelessly right-wing than the current bunch Nowhere near enough houses are being built now, with a weaker economy, there will be even less housebuilding as there is neither the will or the way to set up a sensible housing policy. The shares of some of the major UK housebuilders fell 40% this morning which shows what the market thinks of our housing prospects!

The anti-intellectual stance taken by so many Brexiters is just stunning to me. If you're ill, you go and see an expert - a doctor, not some bloke in a pub. If you're building a skyscraper or a bridge, you get engineers to sort it out. With practically every economic and political expert on the planet noting that a Leave vote will be so damaging, I'm baffled that so many millions of voters just disregarded this advice!

Well, you reap what you sow and it won't be long before that brown stuff really hits the fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 356
realist
June 24, 2016, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I feel insulted to be accused of screwing things up for Hagrids pre school age group. When you grow up you will realise that through age you get improved powers of rational reasoning. I voted leave for a BETTER life for my children.
I think in reality nobody really knows the impact of this vote. I can live with that, at least we will be in control of our own demise if it goes wrong and not some unelected eu commissioner.
Lets stop being bad losers and work together for the benefit of this great country of ours and our children.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 356
mariner91
June 24, 2016, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Boris went to Eton so you could say he is well educated and knows what he is talking about,

The trouble with being young is you do not know first hand how great this country is,

You said we had everything when we were young ,well that's a laugh,

We got what we worked for and did not have mobile phones, computers and in the early days an inside toilet,

The country had money because we did not give it away to the EU,

When the European Market started it was just for trade and that is why we joined,

BUT

They would  not let us in for years turning us down time and time again,

You have nothing to worry about if you have faith in our GREAT country,

Also you said  it will not be effecting us old ones, well I do have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren,

I voted to leave because I honestly thought it would be better for them.

Boris is an opportunistic wanker who only 8 years ago was talking about how the EU must admit Turkey sooner rather than later. Weird how he's changed his opinion when the sniff of a chance to take power came about. I couldn't care less where he'd been educated as he's a morality vacuum so his opinion is guff to my mind.

You had far more opportunities than we do today. Regardless of how technology has changed you could buy a house back then for the price of a good mountain bike today. Education was completely free. Social mobility was easier. The economy was on the up. I don't doubt you worked hard but that's irrelevant to the point that even if we work hard now, most of those opportunities are no longer available to us. I will struggle to ever get on the housing market despite training in a profession that has salaries well above the national average. Partly because of the prices and partly because once I qualify I'll already be £90,000 in debt. 50 years ago I'd have graduated debt free and been able to afford a decent house within a year of working.

The country had more money once it joined the EU, that is a historical fact. The growth of the economy grew significantly from the point of joining. I agree that the EU should be mostly trade deals, although some regulations such as guaranteed paid holiday are certainly worth having. However, a remain vote wasn't a vote to stick with the status quo, I doubt you'd find anybody who wanted the EU and it's relationship with the UK to stay as it was. It was deeply flawed and I could certainly see some of the arguments to leaving. However, remaining would have given us the chance to see if we can reform, to see if the EU is capable of evolving for the better with us having a say in how it went forward. If it didn't improve, we could always leave in the future. Now we've left, that's it. It's done, it's irreversible and it's galling that the vast majority of under 50's, and particularly the under 25s voted to stay. We're the ones who will be affected most and we're the ones who didn't want this change. Where is the fairness in that?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 356
Vance Warner
June 24, 2016, 8:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from realist
I feel insulted to be accused of screwing things up for Hagrids pre school age group. When you grow up you will realise that through age you get improved powers of rational reasoning. I voted leave for a BETTER life for my children.
I think in reality nobody really knows the impact of this vote. I can live with that, at least we will be in control of our own demise if it goes wrong and not some unelected eu commissioner.
Lets stop being bad losers and work together for the benefit of this great country of ours and our children.

So ignoring the independent experts and voting for us to leave the EU when we don't know the impact is rational reasoning is it?

As for calling people bad losers, how do you expect us to react when our way of life is under threat from something our generation voted against?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 356
MarinerMal
June 24, 2016, 8:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Mariner91, what an outstanding couple of posts you've made there. Also, ignore the ones who think they know what's best for you and your generation simply because they're older. That tells you all you need to know about them.

I feel, in a way, those who wanted to remain could have done with showing a little of the passion we have been showing in defeat. However, it was always an easier argument for the Leave campaign. They just had to appeal to peoples unfounded fears on immigration and the lies the Leave campaign told about what they would do with the money.

I don't doubt some people have voted to leave because of valid understandable reasons. However, I have seen far more people stated they voted to leave for the wrong reasons. Reasons from the far right and through misinformation, spread by the leave campaign. Certainly not all and maybe not the majority but enough to have swung the vote which leads me to believe we have left the EU because of ignorance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 356
RoboCod
June 24, 2016, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Vance Warner

So ignoring the independent experts and voting for us to leave the EU when we don't know the impact is rational reasoning is it?

As for calling people bad losers, how do you expect us to react when our way of life is under threat from something our generation voted against?

Or maybe listening to the pro-Exit independent experts and voting with your instinct? There were TWO sides to this, in a Democratic vote.

You have no idea how things will go, what new initiatives can be explored, you just assume you are on the correct side and that a 100% certain rosy future has been denied you and you lash out at anyone who voted the opposite way.
It's a shame the same effort wasn't exerted by disgruntled voters when this rotten Government where elected even after we'd had over 4 years to see how awful they were.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 356
MarinerMal
June 24, 2016, 8:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RoboCod

You're getting perilously close to 'The English won't pick spuds, too lazy' so, as someone who's recently dealt with these matters and has seen first hand how this works and the money/bias involved I'm going to bow out. But for someone who's going around accusing people of ignorance you seem to be wrapped up in your own little ignorant world.

No, I'm not whatsoever, you just want it to sound that way. You were the one who said "pay enough and get local work", as if the minimum wage is below local work. If it's not minimum wage then it's illegal and should be reported. That is not the fault of the EU, look closer to home for that one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 356
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.