6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 10:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Not the best of games but the win made it more palatable.They were average at best and we weren't much better but did enough in patches to just about deserve the win.

Comedy defending for their goal and there were a couple of other situations when we looked a bit dodgy at the back.We are very easy to score against and teams always seem to get a goal against us somehow.

We looked at our dodgiest after each of our goals funnily enough and seemed to go on the back foot each time we scored for a few minutes.Came from behind to win though and that's a change and we now have three wins out of four,so can't complain at that.

Those asking for eagle to come back in will be pleased to know he still can't cross a football and his many corners were shocking in the main.

Good result but we will have to be a lot better to beat Wrexham and other top sides if we want to climb the league.

Thought Green was our best player and we need to get him signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
September 20, 2011, 10:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Defensively we were TERRIBLE! So sluggish and slow, for such a shite team to look dangerous on so many occasions coming forward was pretty embarrasing to be honest. Cant pick anybody else but Disley and Hearn who had good games, Serge plays like he's never watched a football game in his life, he is actually quite good but his decison making is amongst the worst i've seen in a footballer. Eagle was pretty terrible, as was Elding. Elding did get a goal but that doesn't equate to a good game, missed a flipping sitter and didn't support Hearn in the slightest, very harsh that Duffy was dropped. All in all it wasn't pretty but the 3 points is the important thing, but there were some ominous signs in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
Gtfc grassroots
September 20, 2011, 10:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -15
Quoted from pontoonlew
Defensively we were TERRIBLE! So sluggish and slow, for such a shite team to look dangerous on so many occasions coming forward was pretty embarrasing to be honest. Cant pick anybody else but Disley and Hearn who had good games, Serge plays like he's never watched a football game in his life, he is actually quite good but his decison making is amongst the worst i've seen in a footballer. Eagle was pretty terrible, as was Elding. Elding did get a goal but that doesn't equate to a good game, missed a flipping sitter and didn't support Hearn in the slightest, very harsh that Duffy was dropped. All in all it wasn't pretty but the 3 points is the important thing, but there were some ominous signs in there.

A team that has arguably one of the best strikers in the league but I admit we were poor at times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
AndyGTFC
September 20, 2011, 10:20pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
We never do things the easy way but we deserved to win. We were the better team and Kettering were really poor for the most part.

It wasn't always pretty and it wasn't a game full of quality but we played fairly well. There was a lot of effort in there and we got our reward. We still look a bit shaky defensively, it cost us the first goal and there was a horrible mix-up at the end that had me shitting it but we managed to scramble it away, thank god!

It was nice for Elding to get his first goal, nobody will complain if he can start taking his chances and scoring. Green was good again, helps to have his pace at the back and he's very good going forward. Eagle had a good game also.

Well done Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
pontoonlew
September 20, 2011, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Quoted from Gtfc grassroots

A team that has arguably one of the best strikers in the league but I admit we were poor at times

Marna wasn't all that tonight, there number 7 was much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
itsnotcoditshaddock
September 20, 2011, 10:27pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
I thought we played quite well in patches. A little more quality in the final third and we would have won comfortably. Eagle, Church, Green and Disley stand out for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
barralad
September 20, 2011, 10:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from ginnywings
Not the best of games but the win made it more palatable.They were average at best and we weren't much better but did enough in patches to just about deserve the win.

Comedy defending for their goal and there were a couple of other situations when we looked a bit dodgy at the back.We are very easy to score against and teams always seem to get a goal against us somehow.

We looked at our dodgiest after each of our goals funnily enough and seemed to go on the back foot each time we scored for a few minutes.Came from behind to win though and that's a change and we now have three wins out of four,so can't complain at that.

Those asking for eagle to come back in will be pleased to know he still can't cross a football and his many corners were shocking in the main.

Good result but we will have to be a lot better to beat Wrexham and other top sides if we want to climb the league.

It isn't just him though. Our dead ball delivery is absolutely woeful. It was pitiful on Saturday and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of corners which managed to elude the first defender.

Agree about Green. According to RH the managers may be about to offer him "something" contract-wise. I certainly hope so. It is no coincidence that our three wins in four games are the same four games he has played for us.

I felt a bit sorry for Eagle who despite H and S apparent belief otherwise clearly never has had a right foot...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
bradzmilne
September 20, 2011, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Did hearn score? The speaker said he did, i thought it was coulo myself but i didnt have the clearest view

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
Paris Mariner
September 20, 2011, 10:37pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
One thing that has surprised me about RS and PH is that their set plays are rubbish. I though with them coming from divisions below the Conference previously that they'd pretty hot on this as set plays are where a lot of goals come from in non-league football in general. The games I have been to this season and judging by tonight's report, Town have been poor from this point of view. That is disappointing. The criticism that Eagle gets on here seems harsh too, he got a few goals last season and has barely had a look in this year. He' only young, give him a bloomin' chance! It's almost like he's the new Bore.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 54
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 10:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from bradzmilne
Did hearn score? The speaker said he did, i thought it was coulo myself but i didnt have the clearest view

'Twas Coulson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
flash1
September 20, 2011, 10:38pm
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from bradzmilne

coulson got the second

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 10:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Paris Mariner
One thing that has surprised me about RS and PH is that their set plays are rubbish. I though with them coming from divisions below the Conference previously that they'd pretty hot on this as set plays are where a lot of goals come from in non-league football in general. The games I have been to this season and judging by tonight's report, Town have been poor from this point of view. That is disappointing. The criticism that Eagle gets on here seems harsh too, he got a few goals last season and has barely had a look in this year. He' only young, give him a bloomin' chance! It's almost like he's the new Bore.

But for a professional footballer to not be able to take a corner is unforgiveable and it isn't just now and again.It's every time he plays and nearly every corner he takes.

We have someone in Pearson who has a shedload of goals to his name but we never get a cross anywhere near him.Barra is right though,it seems to run right through the team,not just Eagle and it's telling to note that we scored from the two best crosses of the night.Both whipped in with pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
Meza
September 20, 2011, 10:47pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,648
Gold Stars: 50
Maybe green or artus should rake them I know artus has taken plenty of set pieces and scored in pre-season.  Green can obviously cross

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
headingly_mariner
September 20, 2011, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings

But for a professional footballer to not be able to take a corner is unforgiveable and it isn't just now and again.It's every time he plays and nearly every corner he takes.

We have someone in Pearson who has a shedload of goals to his name but we never get a cross anywhere near him.Barra is right though,it seems to run right through the team,not just Eagle and it's telling to note that we scored from the two best crosses of the night.Both whipped in with pace.

the best cross of the night was the one that eagle laid on a plate for elding to nod over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 11:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from headingly_mariner

the best cross of the night was the one that eagle laid on a plate for elding to nod over.

Would have to disagree.The best cross of the night was the one Hearn put in for Elding to score from as he couldn't miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
chrisloz
September 20, 2011, 11:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +9
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Would have to disagree.The best cross of the night was the one Hearn put in for Elding to score from as he couldn't miss.

That was a shot from Hearn not a cross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
September 20, 2011, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Its all about opinions but I thought we played well,as I think we have in all the home games bar the first one v Fleetwood.

Weve already won 3 home games and slowly but surely the team is coming together.

The keeper looks good,Green very good.Church grew into the game with Disley and I thought Hearn was excellent again.

Eagle certainly provided more than Coulson has of late,albeit the set pieces were poor.

Work in progress but I am cautiously optomistic.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
Maringer
September 20, 2011, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Overly negative views on here for me.

We dominated the game - if you look at the stats, we had almost two thirds possession, forced well over a dozen corners, had twice as many shots on target as the opposition, etc etc etc.

My main worry was two or three dodgy pieces of defending which almost cost us dear but we got away with them. Kettering were big (and got bigger as they seemed to bring on increasingly larger substitutes), strong and had a lot of pace in the team. Luckily, they were lacking in guile so most of their chances came from our errors. Both Pearson and Kempson were caught out on one or two occasions but I thought the two full-backs played well for us. In the event, their goal was rather lucky as a few blocked tackles/shots kept falling straight to their players - the ball then went right into their scorer's feet and he could hardly miss. We didn't get any such luck in the box today despite all our pressure.

Makofo did well at times but would be much more threatening if he didn't dither on the ball and moved it on to other players more quickly. He also needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Eagle worked hard and kept possession quite well, though many of his crosses and set pieces were disappointing. The fact that we are just not scoring from set pieces is both disappointing and worrying. Over the past month, we seem to be averaging around ten corners a game, not to mention a number of set pieces around the box, but the delivery means that few offer any threat. That said, I thought Kettering defended set pieces very well today though they looked dodgy from open play.

Hearn looks to be playing very well at the moment but it is just unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be able to get into goalscoring positions himself. He is creating plenty of chances for others and I hope he continues to do so. Elding had his best game by a mile today. He's not a proper target man so expecting him to do that job seems unfair. I was unsurprised to see him miss the header, but I hope that the goal will give him some confidence - he looked a lot quicker today than I thought he was.

All in all, a decent enough performance for me, albeit with some worrying/disappointing aspects. I think the big problem at the moment is unrealistic expectations. We're a Conference team so we shouldn't expect miracles or even little more than competence most of the time.

The one thing that drunk me off today was some of the crowd's reaction to Kempson. He isn't a ball-playing centre-half, never was, never will be so jeering, mocking and booing him for hoofing the ball forward most of the time is pointless not to mention idiotic. His distribution was poor today but he's a Conference 'stopper' so expecting much more isn't realistic. He came into his own when they brought on their beanpole striker and they won little in the air despite their height advantage during the nail-biting last minutes.

Three wins out of four is a decent sign when we're only playing averagely well and it is nice to be winning consecutive home games for a change. Let's hope we can keep it up against tough opponents on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
petethemariner
September 20, 2011, 11:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I agree with you Maringer about Kempson - in this league he would be the first name on my teamsheet, he isn't a ball playing centre back, neither was Mark Lever or Justin Whittle  to name but two, who were fan favourites, but he will put his foot,head or whatever in  where it hurts to win the ball - the thug centre back from Fleetwood  is just a stopper, but we can never get the better of him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
barralass
September 20, 2011, 11:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / -1
At least we got the win tonight, although not convincing.
Was disappointed with the Stockport result, but that's 3 wins out of the last 4.
The big test will be against Wrexham on Saturday - can we up our game and make it 4 wins out of 5?
Although I hate to see us lose (obviously) at least we're getting the wins unlike the SCUNTS who keep drawing.
Goes without saying a few wins mixed in with a defeat, adds up to more points than to keep on drawing.
Will have a better idea of the season ahead after the next 3 games, also after seeing the Lottery results as me & the Barralad are planning a takeover (if we win £100million) - fat chance.
Keep
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
ponnyfan
September 20, 2011, 11:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from petethemariner
I agree with you Maringer about Kempson - in this league he would be the first name on my teamsheet, he isn't a ball playing centre back, neither was Mark Lever or Justin Whittle  to name but two, who were fan favourites, but he will put his foot,head or whatever in  where it hurts to win the ball - the thug centre back from Fleetwood  is just a stopper, but we can never get the better of him!
I agree with your comments about Kempson, heart on his sleeve battler who would lay it on the line for his team.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
alvinghammariner
September 20, 2011, 11:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
second game in a row i've gone away from bp happy, shaky after we conceded but dominated the second half, i have to agree the set plays and crosses were poor, they either didnt beat the first man, or were looped in with no real conviction, which were easy to defend against.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
ponnyfan
September 21, 2011, 12:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Eagle cannot cross the ball.Give the responsibility to someone who can.Simples.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
petethemariner
September 21, 2011, 12:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
There is very little that has infuriated me more  as a player, manager and spectator than corners/freekicks
that fail to beat the first man - centre backs trudge up 60 yards and then  have to rush back the same distance to
get back in position because someone who is in the team for the purpose  of providing decent service c'ant do his job.
Doesn't matter to me if its Eagle or whoever, although Eagle seems to have become a past master at failing to beat the first defender with his kicks - S & H really do have to work on improving our set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Havelock the Dane
September 21, 2011, 8:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Best cross of the night was Green's for Coulson to score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
STB
September 21, 2011, 8:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Well done Town.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
acko338
September 21, 2011, 8:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
So many corners, so few chances ! Need a big kicker that can reach the far side of the goal or the centre spot!

Pearson won't bother running up soon - waste of energy!

On the live match thread, the other interesting note this morning is the run of times the phrase - "Hearn shot, on target, blocked", is in use!

Six times on the report as I read it this morning.

It seems to be written in advance for regular use during the games - spotted it in reports over the last few weeks!

Can we recalibrate his feet to a poor golf shot sliding the ball either side not going straight to goalies or defenders??

At a rough count up, he has been through and shot accurately within the framework of the opposition goal at least 20 times, but no goals as yet.

However, after the lack lustre display vs Stockport.. a win, yes, it's a win, not pretty, should have been by more, but it's 3 points.

With Gateshead surprisingly losing, we are still only 7 points from top place.

A run of wins + a couple of draws would put us right up there, even if we're not firing on all four cylinders.

It's going to be a really tight league as anyone can beat anyone this year.

Also think it's time for Serge to drop to sub and come on in the 2nd half to blaze past tired defenders... and practice more centres at speed in training, please !!!

If we can get Hearn scoring, we can fly.... his chances are many, currently his goals are nil!

Anyway, roll on Saturday.... UTM !! Would be good to see more supporters turning up ??????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 8:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
After a poor first half in which we hoofed the ball aimlessly, we totally and utterly dominated the second.

Still much to do (starting on Saturday) but thats 3 wins in 4, and that is (whispering) promotion form! The crowd was really bad. A 5-0 defeat sees 1500 fall off the attendance yet despite 2 consecutive home wins and a good win last time out at home, the attendance actually falls even further for last night? I don't understand, do the people of this area really want/deserve a professional football club??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
ROKERITE
September 21, 2011, 8:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Chris
After a poor first half in which we hoofed the ball aimlessly, we totally and utterly dominated the second.

Still much to do (starting on Saturday) but thats 3 wins in 4, and that is (whispering) promotion form! The crowd was really bad. A 5-0 defeat sees 1500 fall off the attendance yet despite 2 consecutive home wins and a good win last time out at home, the attendance actually falls even further for last night? I don't understand, do the people of this area really want/deserve a professional football club??

Attendances throughout The BSP were disappointing last night. Only three topped 2,000 and none reached 3,000. Lincoln had just over 1,500 and poor H&Y 209.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 8:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
I agree with your comments about Kempson, heart on his sleeve battler who would lay it on the line for his team.

He'd be on the bench (at best) in any team Id selected! Not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
gobby
September 21, 2011, 8:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Happy enough with 3 points and 3 wins from 4 games, did think we only looked decent when we stopped the hoof ball, school boy errors are costing us goals and need to be stopped. Green needs to be signed (and come out from Ridleys shadow!   For Biccys) Elding did surprise me with his pace and I think him and Hearn look the better partnership, Disley did not have his best game but was supported well by Church and crosses are bloody awful by Eagle and Mokofo. When is Garner due to be back? Wood improved on his last few performances but I thought Green deserved MOM
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Stew0_0
September 21, 2011, 9:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
A win, but not a very convincing one.

Stand out players for me were Hearn, GREEN (m.o.m.) and Churchy.  

Kempson had a poor game, especially first half when he was just lumping the ball forwards with no direction whatsoever. He was to blame for the goal IMO, challenged weakily for a 50/50 on the edge of the area and the ball spilled to the back post where the striker committed Pearson and McKeown to the ground and tapped it in.

Makofo is so frustrating too as he has the beating of his full back most times but has absolutely no end product. Can't use his left foot at all so why we are playing him left wing is beyond me.
This just makes him so one-dimensional, all the full back has to do is stop him cutting back in to his right foot and send him down the left channel knowing the worst that can happen is they conceed a corner.
Up until Coulsen coming on and Eagle switching to a natural left side, the wingers failed to make any impact at all.

I thought that Disley had his least effective game to date, too often he gave the ball away and his distribution all game was to someone 5 yards away.  His set pieces were absolutely terrible, never beating the first man.

Was glad to see Elding given a start because once he's sorted out his confidence could end up being a useful player for us. Needed a goal to help this and got it in the second half following an excellent ball from Hearn.

Generally, after a poor first half and a stern word at half time we came out in the second half and pretty much dominated the game, we need to convert this possession into chances and goals more to kill teams off though as Kettering could of sneaked an equaliser in the dying minutes.

On a final note, we have to try and sign Jamie Green on a permanent basis ASAP as he's a solid left back and offers alot of things that Ridley can't.  He has the pace and mobility to get up and down the pitch, over lapping the left midfielder and I think he could link up very well with Rob Eagle, should Rob be allowed to play in his natural position.

Hopefully now we can take alot of confidence into Saturday's game against Wrexham and record a fourth win from five with a goal or two from Liam Hearn to kickstart his season also.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
oldun
September 21, 2011, 9:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
Overly negative views on here for me.

We dominated the game - if you look at the stats, we had almost two thirds possession, forced well over a dozen corners, had twice as many shots on target as the opposition, etc etc etc.

My main worry was two or three dodgy pieces of defending which almost cost us dear but we got away with them. Kettering were big (and got bigger as they seemed to bring on increasingly larger substitutes), strong and had a lot of pace in the team. Luckily, they were lacking in guile so most of their chances came from our errors. Both Pearson and Kempson were caught out on one or two occasions but I thought the two full-backs played well for us. In the event, their goal was rather lucky as a few blocked tackles/shots kept falling straight to their players - the ball then went right into their scorer's feet and he could hardly miss. We didn't get any such luck in the box today despite all our pressure.

Makofo did well at times but would be much more threatening if he didn't dither on the ball and moved it on to other players more quickly. He also needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Eagle worked hard and kept possession quite well, though many of his crosses and set pieces were disappointing. The fact that we are just not scoring from set pieces is both disappointing and worrying. Over the past month, we seem to be averaging around ten corners a game, not to mention a number of set pieces around the box, but the delivery means that few offer any threat. That said, I thought Kettering defended set pieces very well today though they looked dodgy from open play.

Hearn looks to be playing very well at the moment but it is just unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be able to get into goalscoring positions himself. He is creating plenty of chances for others and I hope he continues to do so. Elding had his best game by a mile today. He's not a proper target man so expecting him to do that job seems unfair. I was unsurprised to see him miss the header, but I hope that the goal will give him some confidence - he looked a lot quicker today than I thought he was.

All in all, a decent enough performance for me, albeit with some worrying/disappointing aspects. I think the big problem at the moment is unrealistic expectations. We're a Conference team so we shouldn't expect miracles or even little more than competence most of the time.

The one thing that drunk me off today was some of the crowd's reaction to Kempson. He isn't a ball-playing centre-half, never was, never will be so jeering, mocking and booing him for hoofing the ball forward most of the time is pointless not to mention idiotic. His distribution was poor today but he's a Conference 'stopper' so expecting much more isn't realistic. He came into his own when they brought on their beanpole striker and they won little in the air despite their height advantage during the nail-biting last minutes.

Three wins out of four is a decent sign when we're only playing averagely well and it is nice to be winning consecutive home games for a change. Let's hope we can keep it up against tough opponents on Saturday.

These are more or less my views. When Kettering had the lead, they pulled most players back and it was going to be diffiecult to break them down. They had a couple of good defenders and also a couple of quick players to hit on the break, but I think the town perfomance was reasonably good. Yes there are things to improve on especially set plays. 16 corners tells the story of the pressure we put on but we did not make any of them count. I am sure S & H are well aware of this and will try to do something about it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
itsnotcoditshaddock
September 21, 2011, 10:07am

Pontoonite
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Quoted from Stew0_0
A win, but not a very convincing one.

I thought that Disley had his least effective game to date, too often he gave the ball away and his distribution all game was to someone 5 yards away.  His set pieces were absolutely terrible, never beating the first man.

UTM

Bit harsh on Disley, thought he did a great job breaking up the play and winning the ball back as usual. Surely that's his main job (win the ball and pass it short to someone who can play a bit more..)..? I also thought his set pieces were rubbish though, whats the point in floating the ball across for a corner? No one ever wins the header from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
RonMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralass
At least we got the win tonight, although not convincing.
Was disappointed with the Stockport result, but that's 3 wins out of the last 4.
The big test will be against Wrexham on Saturday - can we up our game and make it 4 wins out of 5?
Although I hate to see us lose (obviously) at least we're getting the wins unlike the SCUNTS who keep drawing.
Goes without saying a few wins mixed in with a defeat, adds up to more points than to keep on drawing.
Will have a better idea of the season ahead after the next 3 games, also after seeing the Lottery results as me & the Barralad are planning a takeover (if we win £100million) - fat chance.
Keep

I agree with that (apart from the lotterty win part as I think it would be better if i won.)

Big test on Saturday. If we do manage a win it will be 4 wins in 5, and a win against one of the top sides. If it happens I think we can be justified in thinking that we are serious contenders for a play off place this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
biggles9999
September 21, 2011, 11:02am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Chris

It was a Tuesday night Chris when attendances are generally lower and I cant imagine the events of the last few days help things along much.

I know quite a lot of people who cant get to games on a Tuesday evening due to other commitments and i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from biggles9999

It was a Tuesday night Chris when attendances are generally lower and I cant imagine the events of the last few days help things along much.

I know quite a lot of people who cant get to games on a Tuesday evening due to other commitments and i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.

I accept that Biggles but its still pretty depressing to see. Really hope we see an attendance over the 3,000 mark at least on Saturday because our current form really does warrant it. 3 wins in 4 is good going and a win on Saturday should really put down a marker after a disappointing start to the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Lumpsleftbreast
September 21, 2011, 11:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +24
Quoted from biggles9999

i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.

LLB falls into these categories

Gary Lump
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
mariner91
September 21, 2011, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Chris

He'd be on the bench (at best) in any team Id selected! Not good enough.

He is our best defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 12:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

He is our best defender.

We'll agree to disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
biggles9999
September 21, 2011, 12:49pm
Main Stander
Quoted from Chris

I accept that Biggles but its still pretty depressing to see. Really hope we see an attendance over the 3,000 mark at least on Saturday because our current form really does warrant it. 3 wins in 4 is good going and a win on Saturday should really put down a marker after a disappointing start to the season.

Hopefully so mate, as long as the team are performing that will bring people in slowly and you never know. Some of the adversity might bring in extra fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
we will return
September 21, 2011, 12:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted Text
Nice the Grimsby fans applauding the 41 travellers as did Anthony Elding .. who was class last night.

Taken from the Kettering forum. [url]http://www.poppynet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11803&start=180[/url]

They must be used to some fairly shocking football.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
flash1
September 21, 2011, 1:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Quoted from biggles9999

that trully isnt an excuse not to go really is it?,i,m up at 4.45 in a morning for work,but still manage to make the 60 mile round trip!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
headingly_mariner
September 21, 2011, 1:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Im with Chris, Kempson is a liability and clearly him and pearson struggle to play together, he is often out of position and he makes far to many mistakes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
0ld timer
September 21, 2011, 1:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
maybe all those who stopped going because of fenty ,, will return on sat and we will have a gate of 6,000   i dont think so tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Rodley Mariner
September 21, 2011, 1:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Quoted from we will return

Taken from the Kettering forum. [url]http://www.poppynet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11803&start=180[/url]

They must be used to some fairly shocking football.

I thought Elding had a good game. People are looking for and focusing on the poor stuff because he's started slowly and he should definitely have done better with the free header. However, thought his link up play was good, he worked hard, got into the right position to take his goal and showed some great touches. Thought it was clearly evident that he had a bit more class about him than most others on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
forza ivano
September 21, 2011, 1:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
just as an aside when did we last pick up 9 points out of 12?
that's what those good teams call 'promotion form' isn't it? not a phrase we're regularly familiar with of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
jock dock tower
September 21, 2011, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The Stockport fans around me in the main stand were giving Elding dog's abuse, from his time at Rochdale. You don't normally get that if you're a poor player?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
we will return
September 21, 2011, 2:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I thought Elding had a good game. People are looking for and focusing on the poor stuff because he's started slowly and he should definitely have done better with the free header. However, thought his link up play was good, he worked hard, got into the right position to take his goal and showed some great touches. Thought it was clearly evident that he had a bit more class about him than most others on the pitch.

Ok, to be fair he did play a lot better than he had in recent games and he showed glimpes of the good player he has proved to be in the past, but I won't agree with the Kettering fan saying he was class.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Maringer
September 21, 2011, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
It was Elding's best game for us without a doubt. Hopefully it will give him the kick up the bum to show what he is capable of at this level. He managed a goal every two games at Stevenage so I suppose that I'd have to be reasonably satisfied if he could recreate that form...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Super Clive
September 21, 2011, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Quoted from 0ld timer
maybe all those who stopped going because of fenty ,, will return on sat and we will have a gate of 6,000   i dont think so tho

Maybe but on the other Hand i'm sure quite a few will stop going because of this weeks events and who can blame them this club is a joke
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
biggles9999
September 21, 2011, 5:29pm
Main Stander
Quoted from flash1

that trully isnt an excuse not to go really is it?,i,m up at 4.45 in a morning for work,but still manage to make the 60 mile round trip!

I was thinking of some people who are up and out the door by 3 in the morning that I know however  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
upthestripes
September 21, 2011, 5:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Stimson says on BBC he didn't like what the tannoy announcer said about the 41 away fans and didn't think it was necessary.
Anyone know what was said?? Can't be a dig surely as we've had smaller groups in recent times  

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
mr viv
September 21, 2011, 6:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Jesus what do people want?? I think we played some excellent stuff from the 1st min to the last.We were sharp going forward getting the ball either wide early doors or mixing it with balls into the channels (not hoofs) for the willing and very immpressive elding.On elding he led the line superbly most of the game tiring late on but his performance fills me with optimisum.Eagle must have crossed about 25/30 balls so some of them were shite so what some were very decent.All in all a very positive performance and when we stop letting in cheap scrappy goals which i am sure we will i believe this side is looking very promising
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
RoboCod
September 21, 2011, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from upthestripes
Stimson says on BBC he didn't like what the tannoy announcer said about the 41 away fans and didn't think it was necessary.
Anyone know what was said?? Can't be a dig surely as we've had smaller groups in recent times  

Funny that, on their website they're praising the Town fans for applauding the away support when it was announced. As we do most weeks.
Methinks Stimson should lose the paranoia and get on with what he's paid to do.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.