flash1
September 20, 2011, 10:38pm
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from bradzmilne
Did hearn score? The speaker said he did, i thought it was coulo myself but i didnt have the clearest view

coulson got the second

rather be a codhead than a scunt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 10:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Paris Mariner
One thing that has surprised me about RS and PH is that their set plays are rubbish. I though with them coming from divisions below the Conference previously that they'd pretty hot on this as set plays are where a lot of goals come from in non-league football in general. The games I have been to this season and judging by tonight's report, Town have been poor from this point of view. That is disappointing. The criticism that Eagle gets on here seems harsh too, he got a few goals last season and has barely had a look in this year. He' only young, give him a bloomin' chance! It's almost like he's the new Bore.

But for a professional footballer to not be able to take a corner is unforgiveable and it isn't just now and again.It's every time he plays and nearly every corner he takes.

We have someone in Pearson who has a shedload of goals to his name but we never get a cross anywhere near him.Barra is right though,it seems to run right through the team,not just Eagle and it's telling to note that we scored from the two best crosses of the night.Both whipped in with pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
Meza
September 20, 2011, 10:47pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,648
Gold Stars: 50
Maybe green or artus should rake them I know artus has taken plenty of set pieces and scored in pre-season.  Green can obviously cross

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
headingly_mariner
September 20, 2011, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings

But for a professional footballer to not be able to take a corner is unforgiveable and it isn't just now and again.It's every time he plays and nearly every corner he takes.

We have someone in Pearson who has a shedload of goals to his name but we never get a cross anywhere near him.Barra is right though,it seems to run right through the team,not just Eagle and it's telling to note that we scored from the two best crosses of the night.Both whipped in with pace.

the best cross of the night was the one that eagle laid on a plate for elding to nod over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
ginnywings
September 20, 2011, 11:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from headingly_mariner

the best cross of the night was the one that eagle laid on a plate for elding to nod over.

Would have to disagree.The best cross of the night was the one Hearn put in for Elding to score from as he couldn't miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
chrisloz
September 20, 2011, 11:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +9
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Would have to disagree.The best cross of the night was the one Hearn put in for Elding to score from as he couldn't miss.

That was a shot from Hearn not a cross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
September 20, 2011, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
Not the best of games but the win made it more palatable.They were average at best and we weren't much better but did enough in patches to just about deserve the win.

Comedy defending for their goal and there were a couple of other situations when we looked a bit dodgy at the back.We are very easy to score against and teams always seem to get a goal against us somehow.

We looked at our dodgiest after each of our goals funnily enough and seemed to go on the back foot each time we scored for a few minutes.Came from behind to win though and that's a change and we now have three wins out of four,so can't complain at that.

Those asking for eagle to come back in will be pleased to know he still can't cross a football and his many corners were shocking in the main.

Good result but we will have to be a lot better to beat Wrexham and other top sides if we want to climb the league.

Thought Green was our best player and we need to get him signed.

Its all about opinions but I thought we played well,as I think we have in all the home games bar the first one v Fleetwood.

Weve already won 3 home games and slowly but surely the team is coming together.

The keeper looks good,Green very good.Church grew into the game with Disley and I thought Hearn was excellent again.

Eagle certainly provided more than Coulson has of late,albeit the set pieces were poor.

Work in progress but I am cautiously optomistic.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
Maringer
September 20, 2011, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Overly negative views on here for me.

We dominated the game - if you look at the stats, we had almost two thirds possession, forced well over a dozen corners, had twice as many shots on target as the opposition, etc etc etc.

My main worry was two or three dodgy pieces of defending which almost cost us dear but we got away with them. Kettering were big (and got bigger as they seemed to bring on increasingly larger substitutes), strong and had a lot of pace in the team. Luckily, they were lacking in guile so most of their chances came from our errors. Both Pearson and Kempson were caught out on one or two occasions but I thought the two full-backs played well for us. In the event, their goal was rather lucky as a few blocked tackles/shots kept falling straight to their players - the ball then went right into their scorer's feet and he could hardly miss. We didn't get any such luck in the box today despite all our pressure.

Makofo did well at times but would be much more threatening if he didn't dither on the ball and moved it on to other players more quickly. He also needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Eagle worked hard and kept possession quite well, though many of his crosses and set pieces were disappointing. The fact that we are just not scoring from set pieces is both disappointing and worrying. Over the past month, we seem to be averaging around ten corners a game, not to mention a number of set pieces around the box, but the delivery means that few offer any threat. That said, I thought Kettering defended set pieces very well today though they looked dodgy from open play.

Hearn looks to be playing very well at the moment but it is just unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be able to get into goalscoring positions himself. He is creating plenty of chances for others and I hope he continues to do so. Elding had his best game by a mile today. He's not a proper target man so expecting him to do that job seems unfair. I was unsurprised to see him miss the header, but I hope that the goal will give him some confidence - he looked a lot quicker today than I thought he was.

All in all, a decent enough performance for me, albeit with some worrying/disappointing aspects. I think the big problem at the moment is unrealistic expectations. We're a Conference team so we shouldn't expect miracles or even little more than competence most of the time.

The one thing that drunk me off today was some of the crowd's reaction to Kempson. He isn't a ball-playing centre-half, never was, never will be so jeering, mocking and booing him for hoofing the ball forward most of the time is pointless not to mention idiotic. His distribution was poor today but he's a Conference 'stopper' so expecting much more isn't realistic. He came into his own when they brought on their beanpole striker and they won little in the air despite their height advantage during the nail-biting last minutes.

Three wins out of four is a decent sign when we're only playing averagely well and it is nice to be winning consecutive home games for a change. Let's hope we can keep it up against tough opponents on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
petethemariner
September 20, 2011, 11:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I agree with you Maringer about Kempson - in this league he would be the first name on my teamsheet, he isn't a ball playing centre back, neither was Mark Lever or Justin Whittle  to name but two, who were fan favourites, but he will put his foot,head or whatever in  where it hurts to win the ball - the thug centre back from Fleetwood  is just a stopper, but we can never get the better of him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
barralass
September 20, 2011, 11:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / -1
At least we got the win tonight, although not convincing.
Was disappointed with the Stockport result, but that's 3 wins out of the last 4.
The big test will be against Wrexham on Saturday - can we up our game and make it 4 wins out of 5?
Although I hate to see us lose (obviously) at least we're getting the wins unlike the SCUNTS who keep drawing.
Goes without saying a few wins mixed in with a defeat, adds up to more points than to keep on drawing.
Will have a better idea of the season ahead after the next 3 games, also after seeing the Lottery results as me & the Barralad are planning a takeover (if we win £100million) - fat chance.
Keep
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.