6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
gobby
September 21, 2011, 8:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Happy enough with 3 points and 3 wins from 4 games, did think we only looked decent when we stopped the hoof ball, school boy errors are costing us goals and need to be stopped. Green needs to be signed (and come out from Ridleys shadow!   For Biccys) Elding did surprise me with his pace and I think him and Hearn look the better partnership, Disley did not have his best game but was supported well by Church and crosses are bloody awful by Eagle and Mokofo. When is Garner due to be back? Wood improved on his last few performances but I thought Green deserved MOM
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Stew0_0
September 21, 2011, 9:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
A win, but not a very convincing one.

Stand out players for me were Hearn, GREEN (m.o.m.) and Churchy.  

Kempson had a poor game, especially first half when he was just lumping the ball forwards with no direction whatsoever. He was to blame for the goal IMO, challenged weakily for a 50/50 on the edge of the area and the ball spilled to the back post where the striker committed Pearson and McKeown to the ground and tapped it in.

Makofo is so frustrating too as he has the beating of his full back most times but has absolutely no end product. Can't use his left foot at all so why we are playing him left wing is beyond me.
This just makes him so one-dimensional, all the full back has to do is stop him cutting back in to his right foot and send him down the left channel knowing the worst that can happen is they conceed a corner.
Up until Coulsen coming on and Eagle switching to a natural left side, the wingers failed to make any impact at all.

I thought that Disley had his least effective game to date, too often he gave the ball away and his distribution all game was to someone 5 yards away.  His set pieces were absolutely terrible, never beating the first man.

Was glad to see Elding given a start because once he's sorted out his confidence could end up being a useful player for us. Needed a goal to help this and got it in the second half following an excellent ball from Hearn.

Generally, after a poor first half and a stern word at half time we came out in the second half and pretty much dominated the game, we need to convert this possession into chances and goals more to kill teams off though as Kettering could of sneaked an equaliser in the dying minutes.

On a final note, we have to try and sign Jamie Green on a permanent basis ASAP as he's a solid left back and offers alot of things that Ridley can't.  He has the pace and mobility to get up and down the pitch, over lapping the left midfielder and I think he could link up very well with Rob Eagle, should Rob be allowed to play in his natural position.

Hopefully now we can take alot of confidence into Saturday's game against Wrexham and record a fourth win from five with a goal or two from Liam Hearn to kickstart his season also.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
oldun
September 21, 2011, 9:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
Overly negative views on here for me.

We dominated the game - if you look at the stats, we had almost two thirds possession, forced well over a dozen corners, had twice as many shots on target as the opposition, etc etc etc.

My main worry was two or three dodgy pieces of defending which almost cost us dear but we got away with them. Kettering were big (and got bigger as they seemed to bring on increasingly larger substitutes), strong and had a lot of pace in the team. Luckily, they were lacking in guile so most of their chances came from our errors. Both Pearson and Kempson were caught out on one or two occasions but I thought the two full-backs played well for us. In the event, their goal was rather lucky as a few blocked tackles/shots kept falling straight to their players - the ball then went right into their scorer's feet and he could hardly miss. We didn't get any such luck in the box today despite all our pressure.

Makofo did well at times but would be much more threatening if he didn't dither on the ball and moved it on to other players more quickly. He also needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Eagle worked hard and kept possession quite well, though many of his crosses and set pieces were disappointing. The fact that we are just not scoring from set pieces is both disappointing and worrying. Over the past month, we seem to be averaging around ten corners a game, not to mention a number of set pieces around the box, but the delivery means that few offer any threat. That said, I thought Kettering defended set pieces very well today though they looked dodgy from open play.

Hearn looks to be playing very well at the moment but it is just unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be able to get into goalscoring positions himself. He is creating plenty of chances for others and I hope he continues to do so. Elding had his best game by a mile today. He's not a proper target man so expecting him to do that job seems unfair. I was unsurprised to see him miss the header, but I hope that the goal will give him some confidence - he looked a lot quicker today than I thought he was.

All in all, a decent enough performance for me, albeit with some worrying/disappointing aspects. I think the big problem at the moment is unrealistic expectations. We're a Conference team so we shouldn't expect miracles or even little more than competence most of the time.

The one thing that drunk me off today was some of the crowd's reaction to Kempson. He isn't a ball-playing centre-half, never was, never will be so jeering, mocking and booing him for hoofing the ball forward most of the time is pointless not to mention idiotic. His distribution was poor today but he's a Conference 'stopper' so expecting much more isn't realistic. He came into his own when they brought on their beanpole striker and they won little in the air despite their height advantage during the nail-biting last minutes.

Three wins out of four is a decent sign when we're only playing averagely well and it is nice to be winning consecutive home games for a change. Let's hope we can keep it up against tough opponents on Saturday.

These are more or less my views. When Kettering had the lead, they pulled most players back and it was going to be diffiecult to break them down. They had a couple of good defenders and also a couple of quick players to hit on the break, but I think the town perfomance was reasonably good. Yes there are things to improve on especially set plays. 16 corners tells the story of the pressure we put on but we did not make any of them count. I am sure S & H are well aware of this and will try to do something about it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
itsnotcoditshaddock
September 21, 2011, 10:07am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Quoted from Stew0_0
A win, but not a very convincing one.

I thought that Disley had his least effective game to date, too often he gave the ball away and his distribution all game was to someone 5 yards away.  His set pieces were absolutely terrible, never beating the first man.

UTM

Bit harsh on Disley, thought he did a great job breaking up the play and winning the ball back as usual. Surely that's his main job (win the ball and pass it short to someone who can play a bit more..)..? I also thought his set pieces were rubbish though, whats the point in floating the ball across for a corner? No one ever wins the header from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
RonMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralass
At least we got the win tonight, although not convincing.
Was disappointed with the Stockport result, but that's 3 wins out of the last 4.
The big test will be against Wrexham on Saturday - can we up our game and make it 4 wins out of 5?
Although I hate to see us lose (obviously) at least we're getting the wins unlike the SCUNTS who keep drawing.
Goes without saying a few wins mixed in with a defeat, adds up to more points than to keep on drawing.
Will have a better idea of the season ahead after the next 3 games, also after seeing the Lottery results as me & the Barralad are planning a takeover (if we win £100million) - fat chance.
Keep

I agree with that (apart from the lotterty win part as I think it would be better if i won.)

Big test on Saturday. If we do manage a win it will be 4 wins in 5, and a win against one of the top sides. If it happens I think we can be justified in thinking that we are serious contenders for a play off place this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
biggles9999
September 21, 2011, 11:02am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Chris
After a poor first half in which we hoofed the ball aimlessly, we totally and utterly dominated the second.

Still much to do (starting on Saturday) but thats 3 wins in 4, and that is (whispering) promotion form! The crowd was really bad. A 5-0 defeat sees 1500 fall off the attendance yet despite 2 consecutive home wins and a good win last time out at home, the attendance actually falls even further for last night? I don't understand, do the people of this area really want/deserve a professional football club??

It was a Tuesday night Chris when attendances are generally lower and I cant imagine the events of the last few days help things along much.

I know quite a lot of people who cant get to games on a Tuesday evening due to other commitments and i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from biggles9999

It was a Tuesday night Chris when attendances are generally lower and I cant imagine the events of the last few days help things along much.

I know quite a lot of people who cant get to games on a Tuesday evening due to other commitments and i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.

I accept that Biggles but its still pretty depressing to see. Really hope we see an attendance over the 3,000 mark at least on Saturday because our current form really does warrant it. 3 wins in 4 is good going and a win on Saturday should really put down a marker after a disappointing start to the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Lumpsleftbreast
September 21, 2011, 11:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +24
Quoted from biggles9999

i'd imagine theres quite a few people with kids or have to be up early for work who dont go.

LLB falls into these categories

Gary Lump
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
mariner91
September 21, 2011, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Chris

He'd be on the bench (at best) in any team Id selected! Not good enough.

He is our best defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Chris
September 21, 2011, 12:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from mariner91

He is our best defender.

We'll agree to disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.