Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Credit goes to john fenty..
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 90 Guests

Credit goes to john fenty..

This thread currently has 6,588 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
for keeping his word that he would only go to a league club and to get six figures which means 100k or more is a good deal for the club for a player who clearly did not want to be here..

he could have caved in to lutons demands and took there money but has always gone on recored saying only big money and a league club would have any chance of getting alan.

now i might be the only one but john fenty you get my credit..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Steve_gtfc
July 15, 2011, 2:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -2
If we put our emotions regards the player/team to one side for a moment; it is a fantastic piece of business to sign someone fro free one summer and sell for six figures the following season.

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
Chrisblor
July 15, 2011, 2:28pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Steve_gtfc
If we put our emotions regards the player/team to one side for a moment; it is a fantastic piece of business to sign someone fro free one summer and sell for six figures the following season.

Yes, good work Neil Woods

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
Mariner_501
July 15, 2011, 2:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Connell was the only good thing to come out of Neil Woods as manager. Fenty has done well here and stuck to his word
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
Super Clive
July 15, 2011, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Lets hope Swindon have made an offer for the wrong player maybe Eagle but town just assumed it was for Connell anything can happen in football  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
Denby
July 15, 2011, 2:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -2
well done john fenty in bringing to football's attention that connell only had 1 year of his contract remaining so were open to offers.  excellent stuff.  what's more important, keeping your 30 goal a season striker or making a quick bit of cash to cover the paid up contracts of ademeno, samuels and the squillions of others paid off in recent times

fenty deserves no credit, apart from ruining our once great football club
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
biggles9999
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Fenty has stuck to his word, so fair play on that point. Decent piece of business as even if Connell was on 2k a week its 50k profit over the last year on Connell.

Hopefully 2/3rds of the money at least is given to S&H, to reinvest in 2 or 3 players maybe? I think it was always on the cards he would go so that they could bring in some more up and comings.

I know definetly wouldnt be surprised to see a full back, and a striker/winger come in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
jonnyboy82
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Super Clive
Lets hope Swindon have made an offer for the wrong player maybe Eagle but town just assumed it was for Connell anything can happen in football  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
Conference10
July 15, 2011, 2:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / -15
All this does is shows a MASSIVE LACK OF AMBITION ON JOHN FENTY'S PART.

Steve Evans didn't get promotion by selling all of the best players. He did by getting together all of the best players.

Mid table pooh for us this season..............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
RoboCod
July 15, 2011, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yep. Wait until we get a mountain of cash for jean paul marna Serge Makofo, Woods will be seen as a genius  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
lowerfindus
July 15, 2011, 2:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mariner_501
Connell was the only good thing to come out of Neil Woods as manager. Fenty has done well here and stuck to his word

Not Michael Coulson, Scott Garner, Darren Kempson, Rob Eagle,  the emergence of Bradley Wood? Boo Woods Booooooo!!

Theres nothing like blinkers.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Denby
well done john fenty in bringing to football's attention that connell only had 1 year of his contract remaining so were open to offers.  excellent stuff.  what's more important, keeping your 30 goal a season striker or making a quick bit of cash to cover the paid up contracts of ademeno, samuels and the squillions of others paid off in recent times

fenty deserves no credit, apart from ruining our once great football club

Does the transfer request and the fact alan does not want to be happy have no bearing in this then?

what would we gain from keeping an unhappy player at the club who does not want to be here?,that would rub off on his attitude and the rest of the team..

which would affect his performance and add to this he walks away for nothing next year,i dont want a player at my club which does not want to be here or is not committed to staying with us,the transfer request he made certainley shows he does not want to be here..

good deal imo.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
Tinymariner
July 15, 2011, 2:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Connell put in a transfer request, we had no real choice but to sell. Its good business sense unfortunately.

I certainly wouldn't want to stop him moving up. His heart would not have been with us if we had denied him the opportunity to play
at a higher level.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 81
psgmariner
July 15, 2011, 2:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariner_501

WHS

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 2:38pm
Guest User
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading this thread.

Did Fenty stick to his word ?

"not for sale" my @rse !

£100K woopee effing do...

All hail Fenty, the saviour of GTFC.  
Reply: 14 - 81
alvinghammariner
July 15, 2011, 2:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
A tactical masterstroke by john, keep saying you won't sell, increase optimism and season ticket sales, then just as they reach a good number, sell your best striker in years for a quick buck, bravo john!

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
Denby
July 15, 2011, 2:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Does the transfer request and the fact alan does not want to be happy have no bearing in this then?

what would we gain from keeping an unhappy player at the club who does not want to be here?,that would rub off on his attitude and the rest of the team..

which would affect his performance and add to this he walks away for nothing next year,i dont want a player at my club which does not want to be here or is not committed to staying with us,the transfer request he made certainley shows he does not want to be here..

good deal imo.

oh sorry, well done everyone at the club, we might lose best part of £1m every season but at least we've made a 10th back to help pay off disastrous signings.  excellent forward thinking.  this has all but destroyed any chance we had of returning to the football league any time soon
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
psgmariner

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Quoted from lowerfindus

Not Michael Coulson, Scott Garner, Darren Kempson, Rob Eagle,  the emergence of Bradley Wood? Boo Woods Booooooo!!

Those lot have done ok, nothing more. Given the budget his strike rate with signings is terrible.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
Steve_gtfc

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Quoted from Tinymariner
Connell put in a transfer request, we had no real choice but to sell. Its good business sense unfortunately.

I certainly wouldn't want to stop him moving up. His heart would not have been with us if we had denied him the opportunity to play
at a higher level.  

Agreed, we have had enough players just going through the motions over the years (Peter Till et al) without having another. As much as I admire Connell as a player, if he doesn't want to be here then we should let him go for a fee before he winds his contract down.

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 2:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from Denby

oh sorry, well done everyone at the club, we might lose best part of £1m every season but at least we've made a 10th back to help pay off disastrous signings.  excellent forward thinking.  this has all but destroyed any chance we had of returning to the football league any time soon

Who knows we might return but it certainly doesn't help.

Reply: 19 - 81
DocDock
July 15, 2011, 2:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from jonnyboy82

good deal imo.

Exactly. I'd argue the last time we had a player in a similar situation like this was Michael Reddy who if i'm not mistaken had interest from Luton and Bristol Rovers. That time we decided to keep him and despite him being completely knackered we still possibly missed out on a good deal for a player who had had half a good season in Division 4.

As much as i'd have liked Connell to stay i think you have to be realistic and say whenever the first half decent offer came in from a league club Fenty would accept it. Just so happens Swindon are the first to do it. Face facts, we're a non league side now and to get 100k for a 28 year old player with one good season in an otherwise patchy goal scoring career is good business for the club.

I just hope Fenty somehow hasn't copulated the deal up somewhere, it wouldn't surprise me if he had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Denby

so because alan connell has gone you have automatically say we wont go up..

alan was never on his own going to get us promoted he would have helped but not done it on his own,there are 10 other players who help toward that..

how do you know the money is not already being lined up as a replacement for alan?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 81
Denby
July 15, 2011, 2:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Who knows we might return but it certainly doesn't help.

we might, just like alfreton might, just like southport might
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
Denby
July 15, 2011, 2:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

so because alan connell has gone you have automatically say we wont go up..

alan was never on his own going to get us promoted he would have helped but not done it on his own,there are 10 other players who help toward that..

how do you know the money is not already being lined up as a replacement for alan?

when you lose your best player it makes your team worse than it previously was, and last season we were 11th best in the division.  maybe we'll sign an awesome replacement in the next month, or maybe we'll use half of the cash to pay off rob duffy
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 81
Perkins
July 15, 2011, 2:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Great bit of business, getting 150k (alleged) for a player who obviously did not want to stay. Just cos he scored all those goals last season doesn't mean he would have done next. If he had stayed and only scored a handfull, Fenty would have been criticised for not accepting the offer when we had the chance. Anyway, the players S&H have brought in hardly make me think that Connell figured in their plans anyway. Good luck to Connell, and thanks for the cash Swindon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Denby

when you lose your best player it makes your team worse than it previously was, and last season we were 11th best in the division.  maybe we'll sign an awesome replacement in the next month, or maybe we'll use half of the cash to pay off rob duffy

or maybe he wont be that missed with liam hearn already signed and another striker coming in..

if fenty would have turned this down and connell does not score for his first few games i wonder if you would suddenly change your mood and "say we should have sold him its clear he does not want to be here"

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
Wrawby_Mariner
July 15, 2011, 2:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
At the end of the day its a good deal all round. . .Before he signed for us he was scoring four or five goals a season. We have made a profit on a player in his prime. Rather sell him now for a fee than let him leave for sod all
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 26 - 81
Denby
July 15, 2011, 2:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

or maybe he wont be that missed with liam hearn already signed and another striker coming in..

if fenty would have turned this down and connell does not score for his first few games i wonder if you would suddenly change your mood and "say we should have sold him its clear he does not want to be here"

connell's ability, at this level, is without doubt.  perhaps he first thought about leaving when those new managers of ours starting substituting him when he was our only goal threat
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 2:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Perkins
Great bit of business, getting 150k

Now we're making up the numbers are we ?
Reply: 28 - 81
Stew0_0
July 15, 2011, 2:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Think what most posters, who are slagging us off for not keeping Alan here, are not considering is that Connell handed in a transfer request as soon as he found out Swindon were interested. Had we denied a move away for him then this would in turn unsettle the player and cause a dip in form. After all he stated as soon as the season ended that he wanted a return to the Football League.

What we have done in a sense is bump up the final fee we received for him by turning down £50k and other 'derisory' fees and I believe to get six figures for a player in the BSP is good business. All that needs to happen now is Fenty needs to hand a cut of that over to Sco-Hurst to find a replacement.

Sorry to see you go Alan, but not gutted.  Onwards and Upwards and Goodbye.  Issue over (thank god)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
maxfox44
July 15, 2011, 2:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Is it just possible that S&H didn't think that AC fitted into their team anyway?  I get the impression that nobody will be bigger than the team this year.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Denby

connell's ability, at this level, is without doubt.  perhaps he first thought about leaving when those new managers of ours starting substituting him when he was our only goal threat

so now it is the managers fault as alan was invincible to being substituted..

the managers clearly wanted to look at different things in a match and they certainly should not be afraid to sub a player incase that sparks off a player wanting to leave..

he wanted to leave as he stated this in the press,he has gone and i think it is a good deal,you might disagree but we were never going to get promoted by him alone.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Super Clive
July 15, 2011, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lowerfindus

Compared to 25 match winless run, relegation the the BSP for the first time in 100 years?

Losses to chasetown and bath, record low attendances, The Makofo Scandal(alleged)

Mid table shite BSP team couldn't put more than 2 victory's together?

Positives for me Mansfield and Histon games and Mr Connell
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
jonnyboy82
July 15, 2011, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think what most posters, who are slagging us off for not keeping Alan here, are not considering is that Connell handed in a transfer request as soon as he found out Swindon were interested. Had we denied a move away for him then this would in turn unsettle the player and cause a dip in form. After all he stated as soon as the season ended that he wanted a return to the Football League.

What we have done in a sense is bump up the final fee we received for him by turning down £50k and other 'derisory' fees and I believe to get six figures for a player in the BSP is good business. All that needs to happen now is Fenty needs to hand a cut of that over to Sco-Hurst to find a replacement.

Sorry to see you go Alan, but not gutted.  Onwards and Upwards and Goodbye.  Issue over (thank god)

totally agree

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
Mariner88
July 15, 2011, 3:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from Stew0_0

Agree with this. Personally, I think Fenty's done well to hold off bids and wait for six-figures from a league club.

Dislike Fenty if you want, yes it's largely his fault we're in the BSP, but letting a player leave who wanted to go and getting a good fee for him is good business anyway you look at it.

We'll still go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
LH
July 15, 2011, 3:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,590
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from Super Clive

Compared to 25 match winless run, relegation the the BSP for the first time in 100 years?

Losses to chasetown and bath, record low attendances, The Makofo Scandal(alleged)

Mansfield and Histon were consecutive wins. Agree with you though.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
maxfox44
July 15, 2011, 3:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
If any employee isn't 100% behind the company/team then let them go.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
ticker_1610
July 15, 2011, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Got it right this time, well done JF! Player wanted out, wanted to go nearer home n family n wanted league footy, both parties have got the best outcome! We now have his wage freed up which in itself should pay for a decent player and a decent wedge in the coffers .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
mariner91
July 15, 2011, 3:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Denby

One player does not make a team. Our team will be fitter, quicker and more competitive than last year and we may even have a midfield. Yes Connell is undoubtedly a good player for this league but we have a good replacement in Hearn and there is no reason we can't sign another good player as well. Personally I'd like to see Jamie Vardy here from Halifax.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think what most posters, who are slagging us off for not keeping Alan here, are not considering is that Connell handed in a transfer request as soon as he found out Swindon were interested.

You must think the fans were born yesterday !  

By the way, no-one is slagging "us" off because those who wanted Connell to stay are Grimsby Town supporters just as much if not more !

If the club go into admin in a few years time, I predict there will still be people on here praising Fenty to high heaven.

Quoted from Stew0_0
All that needs to happen now is Fenty needs to hand a cut of that over to Sco-Hurst to find a replacement.

Are you having a laugh ?  
Reply: 39 - 81
Perkins
July 15, 2011, 3:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Quoted from 1600

Read it again !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:18pm
Guest User
"Allegedly" by posters on where who have made up their own imaginary figure, that's my point !!!
Reply: 41 - 81
Mariner88
July 15, 2011, 3:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from 1600

You must think the fans were born yesterday !  

By the way, no-one is slagging "us" off because those who wanted Connell to stay are Grimsby Town supporters just as much if not more !

If the club go into admin in a few years time, I predict there will still be people on here praising Fenty to high heaven.

Are you having a laugh ?  

As if Fenty would hand any cash over. Oh, hang on ... Hearn, Pearson and Church have all come for fees. It's easy to spend someone else's money.

Re: Admin. If we did go into admin in a few years then no doubt some people would say "I wonder what would have happened if we'd taken six-figures for Connell."

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

If he's doing that bad a job, then why don't you offer to take the club off him because I would imagine he'd be happy to talk about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
Mariner_501
July 15, 2011, 3:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Super Clive

What Wellsy said!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner88

As if Fenty would hand any cash over. Oh, hang on ... Hearn, Pearson and Church have all come for fees. It's easy to spend someone else's money.

I wasn't suggesting we wouldn't pay a fee.
I just find it ironic we would release a proven goalscorer for a fee only to re-invest a proportion of the money elsewhere for a player unlikely to be anywhere near Connell's stature.
Personally I wouldn't hold your breath for any (big) names.

Quoted from Mariner88
Re: Admin. If we did go into admin in a few years then no doubt some people would say "I wonder what would have happened if we'd taken six-figures for Connell."

You've lost me.

Quoted from Mariner88
If he's doing that bad a job, then why don't you offer to take the club off him because I would imagine he'd be happy to talk about that.

After the Mike Parker saga, I'm not completely convinced about that either.
Reply: 44 - 81
Devonmatt
July 15, 2011, 3:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from 1600

Well unless someone actually knows the exact figure then everyone of us commenting on the rights and wrongs of the transfer is in effect 'making up the numbers'.  I really don't get your point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
upthestripes
July 15, 2011, 3:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from Mariner88

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

It's true

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 3:32pm
Main Stander
Quoted from psgmariner

Those lot have done ok, nothing more. Given the budget his strike rate with signings is terrible.

I'd argue it was about 50/50 split between good and poor, which I struggle to find many managers hitting much higher.

Anyway i'm no going back to a Wood's good/bad thread. We've made a decent profit on Connell and provided 2/3rds is reinvested in a couple of players I wont be too disappointed in all honesty. Spencer Weir-Daley anyone  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
Mariner_501
July 15, 2011, 3:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
I think Fenty has no clue of how to run a football club, has ruined us etc. I hate him as much as the next town fan yet even I can still see that this was a good decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
lowerfindus
July 15, 2011, 3:45pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Super Clive

We can go back over the Neil Woods issue if you like, was it Neils fault he inherited a dire squad? No, that was Mike "Viva la Revolution" Newells classy bunch of drinkers. 25 game winless run, that just happened to Lincoln and a experienced manager many people on here would have been pleased to appoint. You cant polish a turd. With regards to the cup losses look at our cup record in the last few years, we have been truely woeful. Maybe, as some people predicted prior to our first non-league season, being a mid-table team and building for the future is something we should have expected. 17 drawn games suggest a team that was not too far away from being a decent side. Instead too many people then, and now, still think we have some god given right not to be in this division.

In my earlier post I was simply pointing out that Neil Woods signed more than one good player as a previous poster had implied.

Our demise lies only at the feet of one man, John Fenty. While he is here we will not get the sucess WE ALL crave. His dedication to the Fentydome is all down to land he owns at Great Coates and his desire to do things on the cheap. In this instance it was right to sell Connell but we know his previous decisions on selling players (Reddy) have been disasterous. Credit to John Fenty? For being a local man that invests in his local club yes. For his decision making? No way.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
Super Clive
July 15, 2011, 3:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501

What Wellsy said!

WWS

Can see it catching on  

What male masturbator said also  
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:49pm
Guest User
Quoted from Devonmatt

Well unless someone actually knows the exact figure then everyone of us commenting on the rights and wrongs of the transfer is in effect 'making up the numbers'.  I really don't get your point.

People are banding about this £150,000 figure without a grain of evidence, it's not rocket science.
Reply: 51 - 81
July 15, 2011, 3:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_501
I think Fenty has no clue of how to run a football club, has ruined us etc. I hate him as much as the next town fan yet even I can still see that this was a good decision.

I don't hate Fenty, but I've been critical of plenty of things he's done (I like to think fairly   ). But I agree with you he's got this one right IMO. Maybe JF's getting the hang of this football chairman lark - surprised to read myself writing that!
Reply: 52 - 81
Devonmatt
July 15, 2011, 3:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

People are banding about this £150,000 figure without a grain of evidence, it's not rocket science.

As my post clearly states, unless you actually know what the figure is, accusing people of making up the figure is a complete waste of time.  They are just as likely to be correct as you are when deriding their belief - it's not rocket science!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:59pm
Guest User
I don't hate Fenty but I've hated seeing all his poor decisions drag the club down over the years.
Reply: 54 - 81
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 4:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from Devonmatt

As my post clearly states, unless you actually know what the figure is, accusing people of making up the figure is a complete waste of time.  They are just as likely to be correct as you are when deriding their belief - it's not rocket science!  

There's no need to accuse them of anything, it's a fact that they HAVE made up the figure.
You're talking a load of bull.
Reply: 55 - 81
Devonmatt
July 15, 2011, 4:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

There's no need to accuse them of anything, it's a fact that they HAVE made up the figure.

I'm not going to get into a long running argument about this but if you can't understand that in a situation where YOU don't know what the actual figure agreed is then accusing somebody else of making that figure up is rather churlish and completely pointless.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
The Grim Reaper
July 15, 2011, 4:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
IF A PLAYER HANDS IN A TRANSFER REQUEST YOU CANT KEEP HIM. END OF

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Chrisblor
July 15, 2011, 4:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
IF A PLAYER HANDS IN A TRANSFER REQUEST YOU CANT KEEP HIM. END OF

Except you can?!

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 4:14pm
Main Stander
Quoted from 1600

I didnt know Rafa Benitez posted on here?

How is it a fact that theyve made up the figure. Yes some of the people quoting 150k are not exactly reliable, but unless you know for a FACT that we havent agreed a 150k fee then you cant say for certain that it is made up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
Tommy
July 15, 2011, 4:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82
for keeping his word that he would only go to a league club and to get six figures which means 100k or more is a good deal for the club for a player who clearly did not want to be here..

he could have caved in to lutons demands and took there money but has always gone on recored saying only big money and a league club would have any chance of getting alan.

now i might be the only one but john fenty you get my credit..

Good post which I agree with. Can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
1mickylyons
July 15, 2011, 4:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Aye they will be dancing in the streets around BP at the news
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
BIGChris
July 15, 2011, 4:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Stew0_0

WHS.

Connell did well for GTFC but I'd also say that GTFC did well for Connell too. Been trundling around the lower divisions with Bournemouth, Hereford, Brentford but never REALLY setting the world on fire. Given a chance at GTFC to boost his careers and boost his confidence. He takes it and may have kick started his career again, certainly got himself back into League football and I guess on a decent wage.

IF it hadnt got well here AC would have been finished.

All the best AC, i really enjoyed the quality of your finishes.

The King is dead, long live the King!

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
Mighty_Mariner
July 15, 2011, 5:17pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Denby

Do me a favour mate and fool off!!!!!! I'm sick to flipping death off all this negativity surrounding the club at the
Minute! Here's a crazybthought..... How about we try and get behind the new managers and team for a change! So we've sold 1 player.... That's right as good a player he was he's not bigger than the club!

Look at when Man Utd sold Ronaldo... They went and won the league the next year!!! It's not all doom and flipping gloom!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
Garth
July 15, 2011, 5:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Conference10
All this does is shows a MASSIVE LACK OF AMBITION ON JOHN FENTY'S PART.

Steve Evans didn't get promotion by selling all of the best players. He did by getting together all of the best players.

Mid table pooh for us this season..............

Difference is his best players were either bought in or satisfied to stay and play, Alan wanted away to further his opportunities of playing in a higher league, and rubbing shoulders with a higher class of players, good luck to him life go`s on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
Chris
July 15, 2011, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Quoted from Chrisblor

Agreed, but also agree with the thread author in that Mr Fenty has done some good business regarding Connell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
Claudius Tiberius Smith
July 15, 2011, 6:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3
Quoted from Denby

oh sorry, well done everyone at the club, we might lose best part of £1m every season but at least we've made a 10th back to help pay off disastrous signings.  excellent forward thinking. this has all but destroyed any chance we had of returning to the football league any time soon

Yes I agree, no chance of getting out of this league if you are going to sell your best players everytime they ask for a transfer. In any case if he had stayed until the Jan. transfer window & scored 10+ goals then he would have fetched a far better fee, & could be sold if Town weren't in the running.
I.M.O. to replace a 25+ goals a season striker a fee of at least £200,000 would be needed, & in any case 25+ strikers will not drop down to play in the BSP, I could not believe that the silver tongued Woods was able to sign him last year, & I think more should have been done to keep him. I doubt that Marks & Spencer will be able to sign an adaquate replacement that will hit the deck running........Not exceptionally happy!!  

Proud to be a Pleb!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
scrumble
July 15, 2011, 7:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +986
In any case if he had stayed until the Jan. transfer window & scored 10+ goals then he would have fetched a far better fee, & could be sold if Town weren't in the running.

But with only six months left on his contract, a want away striker at club going nowhere would have actually been worth less.

Quoted Text
in any case 25+ strikers will not drop down to play in the BSP,

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Connell dropped down from the league he wasn't a 20+ goal a season striker.

What we have done though is bring in a young eager striker moving up the leagues. A gamble, yes, but so was a downward spiral striker dropping out the league.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Claudius Tiberius Smith
July 15, 2011, 7:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from scrumble

But with only six months left on his contract, a want away striker at club going nowhere would have actually been worth less.

Not if a few goals would keep your team up, or get you up to the next level!

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Connell dropped down from the league he wasn't a 20+ goal a season striker.

Agreed, but he has always been a capable player at L1 & L2 levels.

What we have done though is bring in a young eager striker moving up the leagues. A gamble, yes, but so was a downward spiral striker dropping out the league.

I think that A.C. believed that Town would go straight back up, & was promissed that he would be selected to play in his favoured position as striker,  describing him as a "downward sprial striker" is a bit harsh I.M.O..

My point is that more should have been done to try & keep him, you can't rebuild a team if you lose your better players at the end of each season!, as a previous poster commented, it is unlikely that Steve Evans would have let his better players go without a fight.

Proud to be a Pleb!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
mariner2000
July 15, 2011, 7:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 3
To be fair I think it was a good deal but I must be honest I nearly posted on the last connell thread.

Being cynical was the club trying to engineer a move?  

No bids, no player comment and then Fenty saying NOT GOING TO LUTON and NOWHERE as NO BIDS unless SOMEONE BIDS BIG.

Then low and behold the next day the managers Saying NO ISSUES, DON'T WANT TO LOSE player etc. keeping his name in the press and raising the suggestion in public that maybe the player wants to go....

A cynic may think that they were pushing to get rid in order to finish rebuilding the team with their players....who comes in will be interesting!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 69 - 81
Claudius Tiberius Smith
July 15, 2011, 8:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner2000
To be fair I think it was a good deal but I must be honest I nearly posted on the last connell thread.

Being cynical was the club trying to engineer a move?  

No bids, no player comment and then Fenty saying NOT GOING TO LUTON and NOWHERE as NO BIDS unless SOMEONE BIDS BIG.

Then low and behold the next day the managers Saying NO ISSUES, DON'T WANT TO LOSE player etc. keeping his name in the press and raising the suggestion in public that maybe the player wants to go....

A cynic may think that they were pushing to get rid in order to finish rebuilding the team with their players....who comes in will be interesting!

Yes, I see what you are saying but why would you wish to lose an experienced striker who has just scored 25+ ?  Managers that move to a new club do like to bring in some of their own players, but don't normally flog "the crown jewels" to do it!

Proud to be a Pleb!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
acko338
July 15, 2011, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Thank you, Alan Connell, for scoring goals in a poor team - you have earnt your move back to a league team and no one has the right not to let an unhappy player go.  End of.... !!

He wants to go, we want the best deal..... £100,000 + ANYTHING IS EXCELLENT BUSINESS FOR GRIMSBY TOWN FOR SOMEONE WHO MIGHT HAVE TURNED OFF THIS SEASON!

MOVE ON - UP THE MARINERS !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
0ld timer
July 15, 2011, 8:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +9 / -2
to many posters on here with great chips on there shoulders  talking a load of sxxt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
Kris2
July 15, 2011, 8:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Best striker we've had in a really long time but when somebody is scoring that many goals in a season they become very hard to keep and by the sounds of it he didn't particularly want to stay either if he had the chance to make a decent move. He likely came here as a way to reignite his career and it seems to have done that for him and he made a decent transfer move.

Some people are going to whinge at Fenty but he did what he needed to do. The player wanted to go so there's no point blocking off interest from clubs in higher leagues. Fenty said he won't be going to a club in this league which is fine by me. Not happy about losing a good player but if he doesn't want to play for us then i don't want him pulling on a Town shirt. I want players who want to be here in the team.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
samg
July 15, 2011, 8:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Quoted from Kris2
Best striker we've had in a really long time but when somebody is scoring that many goals in a season they become very hard to keep and by the sounds of it he didn't particularly want to stay either if he had the chance to make a decent move. He likely came here as a way to reignite his career and it seems to have done that for him and he made a decent transfer move.

Some people are going to whinge at Fenty but he did what he needed to do. The player wanted to go so there's no point blocking off interest from clubs in higher leagues. Fenty said he won't be going to a club in this league which is fine by me. Not happy about losing a good player but if he doesn't want to play for us then i don't want him pulling on a Town shirt. I want players who want to be here in the team.

Well said mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
Abdul19
July 15, 2011, 8:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Look at when Man Utd sold Ronaldo... They went and won the league the next year!!! It's not all doom and flipping gloom!

They came second  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
Mighty_Mariner
July 15, 2011, 9:22pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from Abdul19

They came second  

Ssssshhhhhhh nobody else noticed the glaring error!!! And besides everyone knows you don't let facts get in the way of a good story! British tabloids have been making millions every year using this ethos!!!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Abdul19
July 15, 2011, 9:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Ssssshhhhhhh nobody else noticed the glaring error!!! And besides everyone knows you don't let facts get in the way of a good story! British tabloids have been making millions every year using this ethos!!!!

Are you trying to say they lie?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
Mighty_Mariner
July 16, 2011, 8:15am
Pontoonite
Quoted from Abdul19

Are you trying to say they lie?  

God no..... That would be unheard of!!!!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
STB
July 16, 2011, 8:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Brilliant business by Fenty, we've only lost around 800K in a season now.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
mariner91
July 16, 2011, 8:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from lowerfindus

We can go back over the Neil Woods issue if you like, was it Neils fault he inherited a dire squad? No, that was Mike "Viva la Revolution" Newells classy bunch of drinkers. 25 game winless run, that just happened to Lincoln and a experienced manager many people on here would have been pleased to appoint. You cant polish a turd. With regards to the cup losses look at our cup record in the last few years, we have been truely woeful. Maybe, as some people predicted prior to our first non-league season, being a mid-table team and building for the future is something we should have expected. 17 drawn games suggest a team that was not too far away from being a decent side. Instead too many people then, and now, still think we have some god given right not to be in this division.

In my earlier post I was simply pointing out that Neil Woods signed more than one good player as a previous poster had implied.

Our demise lies only at the feet of one man, John Fenty. While he is here we will not get the sucess WE ALL crave. His dedication to the Fentydome is all down to land he owns at Great Coates and his desire to do things on the cheap. In this instance it was right to sell Connell but we know his previous decisions on selling players (Reddy) have been disasterous. Credit to John Fenty? For being a local man that invests in his local club yes. For his decision making? No way.

That is just simply untrue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 81
cod.gtfc
July 16, 2011, 9:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Well done Fenty, great piece of business, would have been better if he was still here, but you can't down 6 figures for a 28 year old BSP striker thats had one good season in his career, after hes handed in a transfer request.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Credit goes to john fenty..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.