Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 77 Guests

Who have you played football with /  against .

This thread currently has 5,599 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
May 8, 2023, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Yeah Lees still a friend of mine and no I have no rumours..

I used to think Philpott was brilliant, often the scourge of Town’s backline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
livosnose
May 8, 2023, 3:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,179
Gold Stars: 15
I once played against private Lee Clegg the soldier that shot the joy rider in NI . He was really good !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
ska face
May 8, 2023, 3:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Mappers
Somebody jogged my memory with Steve Sherwood .

I was a proud member of the 'Steve Sherwood goalkeeping school' which took place every Saturday morning behind Scartho baths between the mid 90's and about 2000 .

I think a couple of the lads signed up with Town Scott Drury , Paul ''Fraz' Fraser and of course on occasion his assistant,as he was known back then  by Steve  'little Steve ' Croudson (quite ironic now ).

Steve's introduction to newbie wannabe keepers 'was hi I am Steve , I used to be a goalkeeper ' (Looking back I think he was selling himself a bit short as  he was a very decent keeper and played in an FA cup final!)

Steve liked the sessions to operate with a relatively large group , with a wide range of age between them (about 7 to 16 ) so there were all sizes and abilities involved .

Steves sessions were great , but one of his ideas seemed a bit sketchy as it involved small sided games with 2 keepers in nets with the others as outfielders which was a recipe for disaster (see above paragraph ) so we would invariably see on more than one occasion a younger youngster take a tumble with tears and given some magic spray .

Steve had one thing he was serious about 'the golden mars bar ' which would be given out for 'performance of the day' which unfortunately was not always given out for that but to smooth things over with whatever kid had been crashed into in  the mentioned game above , apart from that it was process of elimination but it rarely made that stage .

Steve's son regularly came down as an innocent bystander (so we thought ) and then one day we reached the end of our session ,Steve starts checking his bag to find the days mars bar and it's gone !for the first and only time Steve seemed less than laid back , he was not happy ! It's safe to say the culprit was in his car and he always seemed to carry extra mars bars after that .

Top bloke Steve

Wonder if I know you then as I used to go down to those sessions about the same time, maybe a bit later - 99 to 2001sh.

There was a kid who used to go called Spider and he was the best keeper I’ve ever seen, no idea what happened to him. Kid called Wacker (think his name was Warman?) too, another great keeper. Think most who went down to those sessions ended up at GY Boro or a similar level at some point, apart from me as I was absolute dogger.

Best drill was when he set up a little square out of 4 cones, each side was a goal with someone in it and 4 lads stood around the outside trying to score in any goal, or straight through two for double points.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
Gaffer58
May 8, 2023, 4:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Scunthorpe Sunday league against Ian Botham, he lived in Epworth in them days and played for one of the village pubs, he was an absolute animal and would go for every ball, I suppose you could see his winning mentality, in the late seventies played against Terry Donovan so whenever Keelie is on Look North doing the weather always say I nearly got close to her dad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
Teestogreen
May 8, 2023, 4:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Bizarrely against 2 Northern Ireland international wingers.
David Sloan at Ashbyville, Scunthorpe and many years later against the late Noel Brotherston at Blackburn

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
Lincspoacher
May 8, 2023, 11:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Heisenberg

You played for Sutton in what is now the NL?!

Yes - was in Vauxhall League 1 then. Best part was playing in the midweek Capital League for the reserves if picked for them as played Palace, Brentford away etc against their reserves in great grounds

Sutton now in our league and really come on well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2023, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A lot of our recruitment seems to go through players under his guidance, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players from this list join this summer.

[url]https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lpm-football-agents-ltd-/beraterfirma/berater/4283[/url]

Paddy madden anyone???

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
diehardmariner
May 9, 2023, 1:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
To be honest I spent a lot of my teenage years playing with myself.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 9, 2023, 3:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
I was in the same team as Paul Wilkinson at Toll Bar.

I played against John Robertson in a Sunday League match in Nottingham - I marked him and was expecting to get absolutely roasted but he was on the pop and was bloody awful. I got man of the match.

At University I was roasted by one of the Butterworth brothers who played for Leeds, but I can't remember which one. It's probably PTSD.

My university team was peppered with lads who had played for England schoolboys, including the former England schoolboys captain. My role was to tackle hard and pass the ball to a player who was far better than me.

I played for Arnold Town in the Central Midlands League and our striker was flogged to Mansfield but I can't for the life of me remember his name.

All of this was in the era of very tight shorts, permed mullets and the Kickers and jeans combo that required your jeans to be cut at the seams.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
OddShapedBalls
May 9, 2023, 3:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Living over Lincoln way I briefly played Sunday league about 14 years ago and played with a lad called Jonny Bell who played for Lincoln City, think he ended up at Stamford. He was decent.,

Was that for FV Jerusalem? I drink in the Plough at Skellingthorpe with Jonny’s dad and Jon, painter & Decorator now, comes in most weekends and runs the pubs pool team.[/quote]

The Plough?  Do they know of your true allegiance to town?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.