Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 146 Guests

Who have you played football with /  against .

This thread currently has 5,603 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 7, 2023, 10:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
At school played against a lot of Grimsby schools for De Aston but definitely played against Martin Young, who I believe played for Winteringham, and Terry Donovan at Mathew Humberstone.

In Lincs League played with Brian Hill for Market Rasen and Jimmy Fell played for Ross Sports, Appleby Frodingham had about six or seven ex Scunny players in their team including Geoff Barnard, Duncan Welbourne and David Sloan, Messingham had Graham Rusling also ex Scunny. Later on Boyle, Stuart Gray, Clive Wiggington and Mick Czuzman all played in Lincs League and Clive also played for Ferryboat in Lincoln Sunday League.

In mid-nineties played in a regional over35’s league which included a team of ex-professionals and in our first year they were Sheffield based players and their team was captained by Emlyn Hughes and had Ronnie Glavin, Stuart Barraclough and Ernie Moss in their team but can’t remember the others and in year two we had a Nottingham based side which had McGovern and Gemmell in their line up.

Struggle now to kick the bloody ball twenty yards!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 7, 2023, 11:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
Gold Stars: 15
Can’t remember what his name was but we used to go on caravan holidays to France in the late 90’s and early 00’s. All the British dads and lads would drive into a town called St Gilles and have a full on game. There was a Senegalese chap already on the field in full Nantes training kit, turned out he was one of their players or at least part of their squad or on trial and he was training on his own trying to get a bit of fitness. He ended up playing with us, had a photo with him but forgot his name.

I went to school with a lad called Phil Bolton. Was a good mate growing up and he was a keeper for our school team. He went on to be a pro Rugby Union player with Leicester, Bedford etc and had a pretty solid career.

Living over Lincoln way I briefly played Sunday league about 14 years ago and played with a lad called Jonny Bell who played for Lincoln City, think he ended up at Stamford. He was decent.,

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Heisenberg
May 7, 2023, 11:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Played Yarborough Utd for Bryn Jones from Under 13 to Under 16

Then played Vauxhall League Div 2 1988\89 whilst at Uni for Malden Vale for £20 per game and against Gordon Hill and Efan Okeki

Then Sutton Utd and Corinthian Casuals in Conference and Isthmian League

You played for Sutton in what is now the NL?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
SouthLakesMariner
May 8, 2023, 1:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +941
Gold Stars: 21
Played with Paul Wilkinson at school - I wasn’t good enough for the Toll Bar first team but Wilky was in my class and we played together in inter-form competitions.

Played with Bernard Manning’s son Bernard Jnr (Barney) for the Red Lion Withington in the Manchester Publicity Sunday league.

I can also remember playing for the Red Lion on the pitch next to one where Timperley Big Shorts FC were playing with Frank Sidebottom lining up for them in full papier mache head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
Mappers
May 8, 2023, 1:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,475
Gold Stars: 119
Somebody jogged my memory with Steve Sherwood .

I was a proud member of the 'Steve Sherwood goalkeeping school' which took place every Saturday morning behind Scartho baths between the mid 90's and about 2000 .

I think a couple of the lads signed up with Town Scott Drury , Paul ''Fraz' Fraser and of course on occasion his assistant,as he was known back then  by Steve  'little Steve ' Croudson (quite ironic now ).

Steve's introduction to newbie wannabe keepers 'was hi I am Steve , I used to be a goalkeeper ' (Looking back I think he was selling himself a bit short as  he was a very decent keeper and played in an FA cup final!)

Steve liked the sessions to operate with a relatively large group , with a wide range of age between them (about 7 to 16 ) so there were all sizes and abilities involved .

Steves sessions were great , but one of his ideas seemed a bit sketchy as it involved small sided games with 2 keepers in nets with the others as outfielders which was a recipe for disaster (see above paragraph ) so we would invariably see on more than one occasion a younger youngster take a tumble with tears and given some magic spray .

Steve had one thing he was serious about 'the golden mars bar ' which would be given out for 'performance of the day' which unfortunately was not always given out for that but to smooth things over with whatever kid had been crashed into in  the mentioned game above , apart from that it was process of elimination but it rarely made that stage .

Steve's son regularly came down as an innocent bystander (so we thought ) and then one day we reached the end of our session ,Steve starts checking his bag to find the days mars bar and it's gone !for the first and only time Steve seemed less than laid back , he was not happy ! It's safe to say the culprit was in his car and he always seemed to carry extra mars bars after that .

Top bloke Steve
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
promotion plaice
May 8, 2023, 1:17am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 200

As a junior we lost 13-0 to that vicars French sounding team at Sussex Wreck, any chance of playing for Town was over after that.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
DB
May 8, 2023, 5:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,053
Gold Stars: 391
I use to play hockey and went to a festival on the Isle of Man. We were drawn against an Irish team called Ollies Transvestites who turn up dressed as women.

Half time we were 8-0 down and wondering what hit us, they were out of this world compared to us. One of them came over with a crate of Guinness for us, one of many they had. It turned out that about 8 of their team played for the Irish National team and the others for the Irish national 2nd eleven.

They took pity on us in the 2nd half and only scored a further 4 goals, making it a 12 - 0 rout. Regrettably, yours truly was the keeper that day.

I also played against Steve Wharton ( ex Scunny owner ) who use to turn up in his Jensen Interceptor.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Ruston AT
May 8, 2023, 7:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from rancido
I was in a team and George McClean used to train us. He was very hard and physical.

Hardest player I played against, kicked me, elbowed me all over the place then at the end of the game congratulate an eighteen year old....what a gent.

The fastest player was Viv Anderson when town juniors played notts forrest, he was eighteen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 8, 2023, 7:48am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Mappers
Somebody jogged my memory with Steve Sherwood .

I was a proud member of the 'Steve Sherwood goalkeeping school' which took place every Saturday morning behind Scartho baths between the mid 90's and about 2000 .

I think a couple of the lads signed up with Town Scott Drury , Paul ''Fraz' Fraser and of course on occasion his assistant,as he was known back then  by Steve  'little Steve ' Croudson (quite ironic now ).

Steve's introduction to newbie wannabe keepers 'was hi I am Steve , I used to be a goalkeeper ' (Looking back I think he was selling himself a bit short as  he was a very decent keeper and played in an FA cup final!)

Steve liked the sessions to operate with a relatively large group , with a wide range of age between them (about 7 to 16 ) so there were all sizes and abilities involved .

Steves sessions were great , but one of his ideas seemed a bit sketchy as it involved small sided games with 2 keepers in nets with the others as outfielders which was a recipe for disaster (see above paragraph ) so we would invariably see on more than one occasion a younger youngster take a tumble with tears and given some magic spray .

Steve had one thing he was serious about 'the golden mars bar ' which would be given out for 'performance of the day' which unfortunately was not always given out for that but to smooth things over with whatever kid had been crashed into in  the mentioned game above , apart from that it was process of elimination but it rarely made that stage .

Steve's son regularly came down as an innocent bystander (so we thought ) and then one day we reached the end of our session ,Steve starts checking his bag to find the days mars bar and it's gone !for the first and only time Steve seemed less than laid back , he was not happy ! It's safe to say the culprit was in his car and he always seemed to carry extra mars bars after that .

Top bloke Steve

Funny old world ain't it, I went to a similar thing in Gainsborough around the same time but it was ran by ex Leeds and Barnsley player Glynn Snodin, at the time both him and Steve Sherwood were playing for Gainsborough Trinity I recall.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
Meza
May 8, 2023, 8:06am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,648
Gold Stars: 50
Mate lived next door to Steve Stout (think he played for Lincoln then) lives in Scartho we had a kick about.  

Played against Bridge I can't remember the division maybe Div 4, who had Tommy Watson and Mike Brolley who i had the undoubting pleasure of sending him for a sausage (in other words megged him), they also had my ex PE teacher in goal, Mr Todd (or Toddy).

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.