Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 108 Guests

Who have you played football with /  against .

This thread currently has 5,602 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
May 8, 2023, 10:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Did not play against him but had the pleasure of talking to Ted Buck. one after noon while my lads was decorating his bungalow in Humberston.

It must have lasted over an hour and he told me so many things about town being near the top of the then premiere league.

We would have been in Europe if they had the cups in those days.

One thing that stuck in my mind was Ginger Hall worked as a joiner on building sites and he used to ride his bike from work Saturday dinner when we played at home.stopped at the Imp. for a pint then went into ground to play Division one football.
All for a pittance these premiere players nowadays don't know they are born.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
Son of Cod
May 8, 2023, 10:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Once played against Bryn Law when I lived in Leeds, always thought he was an ex-pro up until then but after five mins of being on the same pitch as him I realised he couldn't have possibly played professionally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
TwoLeftFeet
May 8, 2023, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Played with ex Leicester and Cambridge winger Lee Philpott as kids..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 8, 2023, 11:01am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Living over Lincoln way I briefly played Sunday league about 14 years ago and played with a lad called Jonny Bell who played for Lincoln City, think he ended up at Stamford. He was decent.,

Was that for FV Jerusalem? I drink in the Plough at Skellingthorpe with Jonny’s dad and Jon, painter & Decorator now, comes in most weekends and runs the pubs pool team.[/quote]

Yep, still got him on social media and worked with him for a short while. Yeah it was for FVA, he convinced me to join up although I played a single game for them and came off injured, it was the last time I played football. I wasn't a bad little player when I was 15/16/17 but even by 2010 in my mid twenties I was crocked and didn't have anything left to give. Used to play Wednesday nights with him down at Rustons around the same time, you could tell with his first touch and control he'd played been signed on with a professional team.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 8, 2023, 11:05am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah it is mate , I am not a big thinker of the past but someone mentioning Steve brought back memories , they were good times when you just played for enjoyment  .

I have only been to Gainsborough once in my life and it was for our 'big school trip' around the same time to 'Gainsborough old hall' is that still there ?

The Old Hall is yep, although I left Gainsborough a good 15 years ago, rarely go back these days. Only kept the username on here because it was what I had on the old fishy.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
TownSNAFU5
May 8, 2023, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
You did ask.  I played football with my RAF mate Derek Priestly in Germany.  Just in friendly knock about games as neither of were any good.

He was worse after I accidentally broke his leg!  He was not impressed as he had booked to go to the Euro football championships in Italy soon (1980).  He went on crutches and got hassled by the police for no reason.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
jamesgtfc
May 8, 2023, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Played with ex Leicester and Cambridge winger Lee Philpott as kids..

Now a football agent to players such as:

Luke Waterfall
Niall Maher
Brendan Kiernan
Nathan Pond
Connor Jennings
Joe Grayson
Elliott Whitehouse
Andrew Boyce
Joey Jones

He is also agent to Paul Hurst.

In terms of looking towards the future, Billy Chadwick and Nick Haughton are clients of his agency...

Scott Brown works for the agency in Player Service too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
ginnywings
May 8, 2023, 11:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Can’t remember what his name was but we used to go on caravan holidays to France in the late 90’s and early 00’s. All the British dads and lads would drive into a town called St Gilles and have a full on game. There was a Senegalese chap already on the field in full Nantes training kit, turned out he was one of their players or at least part of their squad or on trial and he was training on his own trying to get a bit of fitness. He ended up playing with us, had a photo with him but forgot his name.

I went to school with a lad called Phil Bolton. Was a good mate growing up and he was a keeper for our school team. He went on to be a pro Rugby Union player with Leicester, Bedford etc and had a pretty solid career.

Living over Lincoln way I briefly played Sunday league about 14 years ago and played with a lad called Jonny Bell who played for Lincoln City, think he ended up at Stamford. He was decent.,

I've stayed on a campsite outside St Gilles and was surprised to find a full on footy stadium locally, which I was told was a community facility. It's not exactly a Metropolis there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
TwoLeftFeet
May 8, 2023, 3:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Now a football agent to players such as:

Luke Waterfall
Niall Maher
Brendan Kiernan
Nathan Pond
Connor Jennings
Joe Grayson
Elliott Whitehouse
Andrew Boyce
Joey Jones

He is also agent to Paul Hurst.

In terms of looking towards the future, Billy Chadwick and Nick Haughton are clients of his agency...

Scott Brown works for the agency in Player Service too.

Yeah Lees still a friend of mine and no I have no rumours..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
jamesgtfc
May 8, 2023, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Yeah Lees still a friend of mine and no I have no rumours..

A lot of our recruitment seems to go through players under his guidance, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players from this list join this summer.

[url]https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lpm-football-agents-ltd-/beraterfirma/berater/4283[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who have you played football with /  against .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.