chaos33
March 17, 2024, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from forza ivano
i might bump this thread on Saturday night if we've lost and the veggies an col u have picked up wins!!

would be quite happy for every game for the rest of this season was a turgid, chanceless, boring, awful 0-0 draw

This is a really strong point. If we lose and the Vegetabalists and Colchester have both won, the complexion shifts hugely and the picture becomes anxiety-inducing once again. This is the point about game by game….Saturday night could make us look almost safe, holding our ground, or, in deep sh1t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
RonMariner
March 17, 2024, 2:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,727
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from chaos33

This is a really strong point. If we lose and the Vegetabalists and Colchester have both won, the complexion shifts hugely and the picture becomes anxiety-inducing once again. This is the point about game by game….Saturday night could make us look almost safe, holding our ground, or, in deep sh1t.

I'm not sure about that. Even if results go against us like that, we would still be three points clear of FGR with a game in hand, better goal difference, and a far easier run in.

I posted a week ago that I thought 4 points from our next four games would be ok. We have already got them from the first two. Anything else is a bonus. But the April fixture list is heavily in our favour verses FGR.    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
Poojah
March 17, 2024, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
You can also add to that Colchester getting anything out of an away fixture at champions elect Mansfield is highly, highly unlikely. We’ll know the outcome of that one before we kick-off, at least.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
pontoonlew
March 17, 2024, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
FGR need to overturn 7 points on us in just 8 games, I think in reality we’ll probably need as little as 5 points from our remaining 9 games which I think we’ll do with relative ease.

With the fixtures each side have, I think we’ll be safe with 2-3 games left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
chaos33
March 17, 2024, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from RonMariner

I'm not sure about that. Even if results go against us like that, we would still be three points clear of FGR with a game in hand, better goal difference, and a far easier run in.

I posted a week ago that I thought 4 points from our next four games would be ok. We have already got them from the first two. Anything else is a bonus. But the April fixture list is heavily in our favour verses FGR.    

If you’re not feeling anxious with us 3 points off second bottom you’re a better, calmer man than I.

However….it won’t happen because they ain’t getting anything other than beaten at Mansfield.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
buckstown
March 17, 2024, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
Well I’m very nervous and will be until my calculator says we’re definitely staying up
Even then I’ll be checking it a few times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
TownSNAFU5
March 17, 2024, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Salford lead 1-0 at HT.  They have had 12 shots compared to 1.

Don’t the top teams want to get promoted??§
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
ginnywings
March 17, 2024, 3:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
No point trying to second guess results in football matches, as you invariably get results you didn't think possible. Our win over MKD being a prime example after they had previously out-footballed and beaten the very good footballing side Mansfield on their own patch.

Who would have thought that FGR would lose at home to Sutton after seeing off the form team Walsall the previous weekend?

You have to look at the bigger picture. When PH was sacked, we were 1 point above FGR having played a game more, and now we are 6 points ahead having played a game less, and have another point cushion with our superior goal difference. Sutton were 4 behind us but are now 9 behind. Colchester were 2 above us having played a game less and are now 6 behind, also with a worse goal difference. There are a lot of positives, and the only negative for me over the last 6 games is not turning a couple of away draws into wins, especially the Sutton game, but we are at the bottom end for a reason.

There have been 20 games since that day at Doncaster and although we are still in the same place in the league, we have a bigger cushion and the games are running out, adding pressure on the chasing pack.

Speaking of Doncaster, they themselves were taking some right batterings. Losing regularly by 3's 4's and a couple of 5's, before they got their act together and are now doing well. Tranmere have also turned it around in recent months, and hopefully, we are showing the same roots of recovery displayed by those two. Newport are another side who were struggling early on but are now working their way up the league. It can be done.

The upshot is that we are in the driving seat with our current position, and have kept FGR and Sutton in the rear view mirror over a lengthy period, and seen Colchester drop below us in the process. The teams immediately above us are still in our sights too, when it looked at one stage that the bottom four were being cut adrift.

Still plenty of twists and turns to come yet, but if we blow it from here, we deserve to go down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
HertsGTFC
March 17, 2024, 3:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from buckstown
Well I’m very nervous and will be until my calculator says we’re definitely staying up
Even then I’ll be checking it a few times

Same TBH, but since the Donny debacle we seem to have lost some of the traits you see in a relegation side.

Firstly we’ve not lost a game, everyone is together & pulling in the same direction for each other.

We’re defending really well & not conceding loads of goals followed by recriminations & finger pointing.

Yeah maybe we should have turned at least one of the draws into wins but we’ve ground out & earnt every point.

Im sure the unbeaten run will end before we’re mathematically safe, hopefully not this Saturday against Wrexham though, I’d just “love it if we beat them”’ as someone once said.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
TownSNAFU5
March 17, 2024, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Salford 3 Morecambe 1 FT.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › FGR Run In

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.