8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
March 16, 2024, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
For me, it’s only worth going week by week. Another game ticked off today. We’ve advanced another point on FGR, and held our ground on Colchester. We’ve gained a point on Salford and Swindon and we’ve conceded 2 points to Sutton, but with minimal impact due to their deficit. All in all, a good Saturday, and a good week and another game chalked off.

Next Saturday is winnable but the value of the result, whatever it is, can only be judged by what the other 3 or 4 teams do. In that regard, I don’t really see the point in trying to speculate on where 3 points might come from and how it might move us either closer to safety or nearer to peril. All of our rivals have hard looking fixtures next Saturday, bar Swindon who don’t play. 3 points or a draw for us next Saturday could be massive, or we could lose, along with all our rivals, and we’d still call it as ok as we’d lost no ground. Game by game is the only show in town really, with regard to judging the relative importance of a result.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
Heisenberg
March 16, 2024, 8:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from chaos33
For me, it’s only worth going week by week. Another game ticked off today. We’ve advanced another point on FGR, and held our ground on Colchester. We’ve gained a point on Salford and Swindon and we’ve conceded 2 points to Sutton, but with minimal impact due to their deficit. All in all, a good Saturday, and a good week and another game chalked off.

Next Saturday is winnable but the value of the result, whatever it is, can only be judged by what the other 3 or 4 teams do. In that regard, I don’t really see the point in trying to speculate on where 3 points might come from and how it might move us either closer to safety or nearer to peril. All of our rivals have hard looking fixtures next Saturday, bar Swindon who don’t play. 3 points or a draw for us next Saturday could be massive, or we could lose, along with all our rivals, and we’d still call it as ok as we’d lost no ground. Game by game is the only show in town really, with regard to judging the relative importance of a result.

Mansfield v Colchester is an early KO, so we might be a bit more relaxed than usual before the Wrexham game. Hope so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
Mappers
March 16, 2024, 8:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,343
Gold Stars: 119
We don't look like losing (maybe today we got a tad fortunate)and that will do for me .

I'm not sure we are now even in the conversation for the drop - if we are so are Salford & Swindon maybe even more so than us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
grimps
March 16, 2024, 8:28pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,130
Gold Stars: 46
Realistically FGR need 3 more wins than us , they keep losing to relegation rivals and have some top teams hungry for points to play .
They’ll be more worried then us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
chaos33
March 16, 2024, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
And you’d be justified in expecting Mansfield to tonk Colchester, with the form book also suggesting that Donny won’t lose to the vegans. If that’s what transpires, the fact that it’s another game ticked off would matter more than the actual result of our game. I’m grateful for that, and we’ve earned that  from our recent impressive unbeaten run.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
ska face
March 16, 2024, 8:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,668
Gold Stars: 847
On the face of it, FGR have the hardest run in of the bottom 4. Looking at the average position of opponents, along with the average points difference between the teams (on today’s table), shows -

GTFC:
Average Position - 11.5
Average Pts Difference - 14.3 pts ahead of us

Colchester:
Average Position - 10.2
Average Pts Difference - 23.1 pts ahead of Col U

FGR:
Average Position - 7.5 (ooooof)
Average Pts Difference - 27.6 pts ahead of FGR

Sutton:
Average Position - 12th
Average Pts Difference - 23.5 pts ahead of Sutton

We all know what can happen on any given matchday, and there are a million different factors that come into it. Home v Away, oppo with nothing to play for, injuries, etc.

I’m still erring on the side of having soiled duds, but FGR will be looking at 1pt from three games against us, Col U & Sutton in the last 6 weeks and must be thinking they’ve made it much harder for themselves.

Sutton have the best run in but even just 1 point in our 2 in hand would put us 10 clear of them with 7 to play. A single win and we’re 12 clear with a much better GD.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
Heisenberg
March 16, 2024, 9:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from ska face
On the face of it, FGR have the hardest run in of the bottom 4. Looking at the average position of opponents, along with the average points difference between the teams (on today’s table), shows -

GTFC:
Average Position - 11.5
Average Pts Difference - 14.3 pts ahead of us

Colchester:
Average Position - 10.2
Average Pts Difference - 23.1 pts ahead of Col U

FGR:
Average Position - 7.5 (ooooof)
Average Pts Difference - 27.6 pts ahead of FGR

Sutton:
Average Position - 12th
Average Pts Difference - 23.5 pts ahead of Sutton

We all know what can happen on any given matchday, and there are a million different factors that come into it. Home v Away, oppo with nothing to play for, injuries, etc.

I’m still erring on the side of having soiled duds, but FGR will be looking at 1pt from three games against us, Col U & Sutton in the last 6 weeks and must be thinking they’ve made it much harder for themselves.

Sutton have the best run in but even just 1 point in our 2 in hand would put us 10 clear of them with 7 to play. A single win and we’re 12 clear with a much better GD.

This is such a relief for me; I thought I was the only person left in town who used the word ‘duds’!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
Grimal
March 16, 2024, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from The Yard Dog

We started our difficult run two games ago and we have already taken 4 points from them, we a different team to the one which lost to Doncaster. On a unbeaten run which will give the team confidence going into the next home game against Wrexham, who are having a bit of a wobble.

Lets pack out the park next week and put a spanner in Wrexham's promotion charge, a win next week will be a massive step towards securing our league status.

UTM

We'll beat Wrexham,unless they're allowed to bring their own match officials.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
GrimRob
March 16, 2024, 9:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,424
Gold Stars: 113
I ran the calculator and was not generous to us, we did ok, in fact we have enough points already in its forecast

https://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=4

21     Grimsby     46     -29     42
22     Colchester     46     -27     40
23     Forest Green     46     -34     36
24     Sutton Utd     46     -33     35

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 74
hampshiremariner
March 16, 2024, 9:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from RonMariner

You really think we will struggle to get six points?  

Look at our recent away record. Draws at the teams currently in 7th, 9th and 12th.

And a home win against the team in 4th. I certainly think we can beat Swindon and Bradford at home and get a few away points too. It would not surprise me at all if we beat Wrexham next weekend.

I would LOVE IT, LOVE IT if we beat Hollywood FC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › FGR Run In

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.