This thread currently has 6,272 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincspoacher
March 5, 2024, 11:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Just back home after train from Earlsfield to Kingston.

Well done guys, a battling and stoic performance.

Played well first half and much the better side. Also much better ball retention than Saturday and was unlucky not to go in ahead.

Thompson looked much more mobile and Andrew’s had a good half as well.

Defensively, the back 5 were solid and Wilson seemed to be following Rose’s lead and really worked hard as well.

It was a giver that the home side came out the second half with a flea in their ear and they were much sharper and stretched us well.

We really didn’t threaten at all but the 3 centre backs were outstanding and Cartwright had his best game in a Town shirt by some distance.

A good point and I have to observe that ironically, this was the most Hurst like performance I have seen in a long time.

In fact, it was more Hursty like in its solid set up than many games Hurst presided over!

Being hard to beat is a good omen for staying up and having the summer to rebuild his own squad for next year.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Limerick Mariner
March 5, 2024, 11:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
…on the train to Grantham…well that was a best of Hurst like performance, only missing sneaking a goal from a pen or defensive lapse ( from the opposition for a change). Grafters all round and Harvey was dominant in the area. Don’t really look like scoring but neither did they.

Now for part 4 on Saturday…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
Son of Cod
March 5, 2024, 11:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Not sure what's going on with the Just Back threads but thought that was a decent point. Cartwright MOTM for me, came for and caught everything. What a difference having a solid defence in front of a young keeper makes.

Thompson will be a real asset next season, if only we could get him playing full matches.

Decent support, felt like there were more than 453 of us. Still took the entirety of half time to get served like it did last season when there were 1000+ of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
CSLM
March 5, 2024, 11:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Another decent point. We were unlucky on occasions but they could've easily scored from one of those headers from six yards out.

Seem to remember Artell being compared to David Brent but I'd say he is more like Andy Millman from extras at this point. He is getting success recently but not in the way he really wants to deep down and it will keep niggling him.

Pleased that the narrative seems to have changed but I still think it's clear that there is a lot of work to do to get us anywhere near the other end of the table. At least there has been a big improvement in the players who are contracted in to next season, I like the look of Thompson.

Things looking better than after the Doncaster game that is for sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
jimgtfc
March 6, 2024, 6:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Really liking the look of the Rose and Wilson partnership in the last two games. Wilson has impressed me since coming back into the side, his work rate and hold up play in particular are areas of his game I didn’t really think he had. He’s also taken a bit of weight off Danny’s shoulders in terms of covering full backs and chasing down clearances. That’s also freed Rose up to drop a little deeper in terms of both link up play and closing down deeper lying opposition midfielders. Hopefully it’s a partnership that can be given a few games and get some goals as well.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
bradzmilne
March 6, 2024, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
An industrial performance & a great point.

Agree with above, Cartwright MOTM.

Thought we shaded the first half but could have lost the second half.

The new system is working. However, we do be a little bit more proactive with substitutions in the midfield - three games on the trot now, the midfield have been dead on their feet and the delay in substitutions have nearly cost us.

With that said, if that’s all we’re moaning about, that’s a different stratosphere to where we were post-Doncaster.

Saturday is now an interesting one. It’s probably Sutton’s equivalent of FGR at home (well, more important in reality) & make no bones about it, still a big game for us. We look tired, games will continue to come thick and fast… Hopefully the boys can keep rallying!

UTM  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
Marinerdan
March 6, 2024, 8:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from bradzmilne
An industrial performance & a great point.

Agree with above, Cartwright MOTM.

Thought we shaded the first half but could have lost the second half.

The new system is working. However, we do be a little bit more proactive with substitutions in the midfield - three games on the trot now, the midfield have been dead on their feet and the delay in substitutions have nearly cost us.

With that said, if that’s all we’re moaning about, that’s a different stratosphere to where we were post-Doncaster.

Saturday is now an interesting one. It’s probably Sutton’s equivalent of FGR at home (well, more important in reality) & make no bones about it, still a big game for us. We look tired, games will continue to come thick and fast… Hopefully the boys can keep rallying!

UTM  

Agree about the Sutton game. After Sutton we have 4 really tough games (MK Dons, Gillingham, Wrexham and Barrow) so we need 3 points on Saturday to keep the confidence up.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
golfer
March 6, 2024, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Although no goals this for me was a very exciting game. A game of 2 halves. Our midfield ran their guts off in the first half - no wonder they were knackered in the second. Cartwright absolutely brilliant in every aspect of his game. If we keep this up there will be no danger whatsoever of us going down. The fans were also absolutely great again. Roll on.- games starting to look more enjoyable now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 9:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
The rockets they gave each other in that 'clear the air ' meeting has clearly done something .

Proud of the lads last night - win , lose or draw with that application , desire and togetherness I will happy .

Weirdly even if we lost to Sutton I wouldn't be too worried as I see us gaining enough points relatively easily to survive providing we stick to the same style and level of performance .

The team now looks a standard league 2 one , a relatively decent one at that . Wimbledon are a top 10 team but you couldn't honestly say they were much better than us if at all really imo. The lad on the right looked handy but apart from that they didn't offer much of a threat at all to my eye .

I think getting in Wilson's ear about staying on must be a priority ? he looks such a good foil for Rose and would leave the need for striker being a priority position relatively low imo - it's a shame he hasn't got onto the pitch more often as he has a real predators instinct , can run in behind and is also a decent physical threat ; in the market we will be operating in will we be able to attract better ? if it's borderline we MUST do everything to make him happy and retain ; we have been through this before .

Hume is one who looks above the level at times , especially going forward a very good player .

The back 5 were excellent Tharme probably the standout for me but the whole unit operated well .

Cartwright MOTM imo but it could have been a good few .

Not sure how Holahan missed that chance first half?

The ref seemed a bit sketchy for both teams, some of them give very strange decisions at this level .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
RonMariner
March 6, 2024, 9:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
Great to see so much positivity on here. It has been toxic at times but that was a reaction to what we were seeing on the pitch.

I haven’t seen any of the recent games but it seems the 5-3-2 formation, if that is what it is, is making the most of the players we have available right now.

Could someone clarify for me exactly where the three centre backs are playing, i.e. who is dead centre, who is left and who is right of the three?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.