This thread currently has 6,277 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Lincspoacher
March 5, 2024, 11:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Just back home after train from Earlsfield to Kingston.

Well done guys, a battling and stoic performance.

Played well first half and much the better side. Also much better ball retention than Saturday and was unlucky not to go in ahead.

Thompson looked much more mobile and Andrew’s had a good half as well.

Defensively, the back 5 were solid and Wilson seemed to be following Rose’s lead and really worked hard as well.

It was a giver that the home side came out the second half with a flea in their ear and they were much sharper and stretched us well.

We really didn’t threaten at all but the 3 centre backs were outstanding and Cartwright had his best game in a Town shirt by some distance.

A good point and I have to observe that ironically, this was the most Hurst like performance I have seen in a long time.

In fact, it was more Hursty like in its solid set up than many games Hurst presided over!

Being hard to beat is a good omen for staying up and having the summer to rebuild his own squad for next year.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Limerick Mariner
March 5, 2024, 11:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
…on the train to Grantham…well that was a best of Hurst like performance, only missing sneaking a goal from a pen or defensive lapse ( from the opposition for a change). Grafters all round and Harvey was dominant in the area. Don’t really look like scoring but neither did they.

Now for part 4 on Saturday…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
Son of Cod
March 5, 2024, 11:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Not sure what's going on with the Just Back threads but thought that was a decent point. Cartwright MOTM for me, came for and caught everything. What a difference having a solid defence in front of a young keeper makes.

Thompson will be a real asset next season, if only we could get him playing full matches.

Decent support, felt like there were more than 453 of us. Still took the entirety of half time to get served like it did last season when there were 1000+ of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
CSLM
March 5, 2024, 11:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Another decent point. We were unlucky on occasions but they could've easily scored from one of those headers from six yards out.

Seem to remember Artell being compared to David Brent but I'd say he is more like Andy Millman from extras at this point. He is getting success recently but not in the way he really wants to deep down and it will keep niggling him.

Pleased that the narrative seems to have changed but I still think it's clear that there is a lot of work to do to get us anywhere near the other end of the table. At least there has been a big improvement in the players who are contracted in to next season, I like the look of Thompson.

Things looking better than after the Doncaster game that is for sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
jimgtfc
March 6, 2024, 6:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Really liking the look of the Rose and Wilson partnership in the last two games. Wilson has impressed me since coming back into the side, his work rate and hold up play in particular are areas of his game I didn’t really think he had. He’s also taken a bit of weight off Danny’s shoulders in terms of covering full backs and chasing down clearances. That’s also freed Rose up to drop a little deeper in terms of both link up play and closing down deeper lying opposition midfielders. Hopefully it’s a partnership that can be given a few games and get some goals as well.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
bradzmilne
March 6, 2024, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427
Gold Stars: 30
An industrial performance & a great point.

Agree with above, Cartwright MOTM.

Thought we shaded the first half but could have lost the second half.

The new system is working. However, we do be a little bit more proactive with substitutions in the midfield - three games on the trot now, the midfield have been dead on their feet and the delay in substitutions have nearly cost us.

With that said, if that’s all we’re moaning about, that’s a different stratosphere to where we were post-Doncaster.

Saturday is now an interesting one. It’s probably Sutton’s equivalent of FGR at home (well, more important in reality) & make no bones about it, still a big game for us. We look tired, games will continue to come thick and fast… Hopefully the boys can keep rallying!

UTM  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
Marinerdan
March 6, 2024, 8:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from bradzmilne
An industrial performance & a great point.

Agree with above, Cartwright MOTM.

Thought we shaded the first half but could have lost the second half.

The new system is working. However, we do be a little bit more proactive with substitutions in the midfield - three games on the trot now, the midfield have been dead on their feet and the delay in substitutions have nearly cost us.

With that said, if that’s all we’re moaning about, that’s a different stratosphere to where we were post-Doncaster.

Saturday is now an interesting one. It’s probably Sutton’s equivalent of FGR at home (well, more important in reality) & make no bones about it, still a big game for us. We look tired, games will continue to come thick and fast… Hopefully the boys can keep rallying!

UTM  

Agree about the Sutton game. After Sutton we have 4 really tough games (MK Dons, Gillingham, Wrexham and Barrow) so we need 3 points on Saturday to keep the confidence up.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
golfer
March 6, 2024, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Although no goals this for me was a very exciting game. A game of 2 halves. Our midfield ran their guts off in the first half - no wonder they were knackered in the second. Cartwright absolutely brilliant in every aspect of his game. If we keep this up there will be no danger whatsoever of us going down. The fans were also absolutely great again. Roll on.- games starting to look more enjoyable now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 9:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
The rockets they gave each other in that 'clear the air ' meeting has clearly done something .

Proud of the lads last night - win , lose or draw with that application , desire and togetherness I will happy .

Weirdly even if we lost to Sutton I wouldn't be too worried as I see us gaining enough points relatively easily to survive providing we stick to the same style and level of performance .

The team now looks a standard league 2 one , a relatively decent one at that . Wimbledon are a top 10 team but you couldn't honestly say they were much better than us if at all really imo. The lad on the right looked handy but apart from that they didn't offer much of a threat at all to my eye .

I think getting in Wilson's ear about staying on must be a priority ? he looks such a good foil for Rose and would leave the need for striker being a priority position relatively low imo - it's a shame he hasn't got onto the pitch more often as he has a real predators instinct , can run in behind and is also a decent physical threat ; in the market we will be operating in will we be able to attract better ? if it's borderline we MUST do everything to make him happy and retain ; we have been through this before .

Hume is one who looks above the level at times , especially going forward a very good player .

The back 5 were excellent Tharme probably the standout for me but the whole unit operated well .

Cartwright MOTM imo but it could have been a good few .

Not sure how Holahan missed that chance first half?

The ref seemed a bit sketchy for both teams, some of them give very strange decisions at this level .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
RonMariner
March 6, 2024, 9:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,730
Gold Stars: 226
Great to see so much positivity on here. It has been toxic at times but that was a reaction to what we were seeing on the pitch.

I haven’t seen any of the recent games but it seems the 5-3-2 formation, if that is what it is, is making the most of the players we have available right now.

Could someone clarify for me exactly where the three centre backs are playing, i.e. who is dead centre, who is left and who is right of the three?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 9:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,281
Gold Stars: 306
Agree with all the assessments above. Here's some different observations:

The midfield is much better, we are making challenges much more often and more successfully. Early in the season we had big gaps that opponents could move into with ease, they have now closed and opponents get little time on the ball before a challenge arrives. Much of this is down to Thompson...

Thompson...god what a difference he makes. He is absolutely everywhere and reads the game and danger so much better than others. It's no surprise he's knackered, he never stops. But he played nearly 80 mins last night, his match fitness is getting better. Say this quietly...there's something Poutonesque about him.

The referee was bloody awful. So bad in fact that he had both sets of fans chanting 'you don't know what you're doing'. He never made a tough call preferring to take the path of least resistance every time. We could have had 2 penalties; Wilson was wrestled over in a melee but the free kick was given to them and Rose was clattered by their centre half but he stopped the game because the clattering produced both players nursing a head injury...the centre half clattered into Rose and was nowhere near the ball. That's a penalty.

Wilson was excellent, worked hard and made a right nuisance of himself. I bet the lad marking him is knackered this morning. We look a lot better with him partnering Rose and Rose looks a lot less frustrated having someone to work off.

If Rose stays he could become a Grimsby great, at times he looked like our best defender let alone our best striker. And that is not because the defence was poor. He works so hard, he leads and does an all round great job.

Tharme makes a big difference, his positioning is good and he clears up the bits and pieces that were leading to scoring opportunities previously. He also passes sensibly and looks very comfortable on the ball.

I've been critical of Artell and would not have been bothered if he'd been sacked after Doncaster but he appears to have sorted out the huge problems we've had and found a togetherness, some grit and battle. We've gone from getting hammered by 5s and 6s to looking difficult to beat and he should be recognised for that.

I have seldom left a ground happier that Town got a point and it was telling that none of the Wimbledon fans said they were robbed or we were sh*t, they just seemed to accept it.

UTM

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 59
Hagrid
March 6, 2024, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Mappers
The rockets they gave each other in that 'clear the air ' meeting has clearly done something .

Proud of the lads last night - win , lose or draw with that application , desire and togetherness I will happy .

Weirdly even if we lost to Sutton I wouldn't be too worried as I see us gaining enough points relatively easily to survive providing we stick to the same style and level of performance .

The team now looks a standard league 2 one , a relatively decent one at that . Wimbledon are a top 10 team but you couldn't honestly say they were much better than us if at all really imo. The lad on the right looked handy but apart from that they didn't offer much of a threat at all to my eye .

I think getting in Wilson's ear about staying on must be a priority ? he looks such a good foil for Rose and would leave the need for striker being a priority position relatively low imo - it's a shame he hasn't got onto the pitch more often as he has a real predators instinct , can run in behind and is also a decent physical threat ; in the market we will be operating in will we be able to attract better ? if it's borderline we MUST do everything to make him happy and retain ; we have been through this before .

Hume is one who looks above the level at times , especially going forward a very good player .

The back 5 were excellent Tharme probably the standout for me but the whole unit operated well .

Cartwright MOTM imo but it could have been a good few .

Not sure how Holahan missed that chance first half?

The ref seemed a bit sketchy for both teams, some of them give very strange decisions at this level .

It was Rose, Gav played the ball to him, Tondeur confuses everyone by screaming about it being Holohan

Ball just got stuck under his feet slightly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 9:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
I think DA deserves a lot of credit for the last two performances. He took a lot of stick when things were wrong and justifiably so. The " clear the air" meeting has been the catalyst to focus the players and coaching staff minds on how best to proceed with what we have available. It's easy to say it was all down to DA's approach but it's like he said " he wished the players and staff had voiced their views weeks earlier". We will never fully know all that was said but IMO our lack of cohesion was " 6 of one and half a dozen of another". The important thing is that it has resulted in an improved playing format , a willingness for the players to perform  better and an improved team spirit. I know we are not out of the woods yet but, especially after last nights performance, I feel a lot more hopeful about our football league future.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 59
diehardmariner
March 6, 2024, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,636
Gold Stars: 539
Really enjoyed that game and performance.  Spirted doesn't do it justice as we played some really good stuff at times.

Two strikers makes the world of difference too.  Can't believe it's taken us this long to use Wilson as the No 9 type striker.  His hold up play is absolutely outstanding.  I think as we get a bit more confident and see Rose more alongside him as opposed to dropping into midfield we could see an exciting partnership there.

Thompson adds a calmness and extra tenacity in the middle and after getting a lot of criticism of late, I thought Andrews had a very good game.

Cartwright showed what he can do and it's amazing what a boost of confidence will do for a goalkeeper.  Long time since I've seen a Town goalkeeper command their area in such a way.  

3 games undefeated.  Back-to-back clean sheets (last time we did that was early March 23 with wins over Rochdale and Sutton, if we discount the last and first games of seasons against AFC Wimbledon that is).  Very positive and encouraging.  Barring another defensive meltdown, our goal difference give us a 8 point buffer now.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 59
The Caterham Mariner
March 6, 2024, 10:09am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Happy  to see Town with my own eyes last night. Highlights and commentary's are not the same as being part of the 453 fans.
So yes we could be turning a corner play wise/ team structure/ motivation etc.
For me abit more faith in DA and where he is taking us.
Harvey Cartright came out of his shell and proved worthy of the shirt ,He can kick a ball up the field and chucked himself around to keep the goal attempts away from the back of the net.
And  the word of the match = INCONSISTENTLY..a town fan shouts at the exploits of the man in the middle , requiring revision & retraining!!
Sutton on Saturday then some hard games to follow,which i hope dont lead to a downhill spiral.
One happy "Caterham Mariner" to walk away with a point / same league table position BUT could  have a goal i feel.
Harvey Cartright's night
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 59
Poojah
March 6, 2024, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,607
Gold Stars: 1,503
I think the turnaround, though only three games in so far, has been quite remarkable. Over the course of our first 6 games of this calendar year, we conceded an average of 3.5 goals per game - over the last 3 that figure has dropped to 0.33 - that’s a 95% reduction.

I had felt our problems were mostly systematic - a lack of meaningful shape and a brainless press at the heart of it, but to find something that works so well by comparison deserves some credit. We looked solid defensively and in midfield, again evidenced by the fact that their best efforts all came from 20 yards+.

Thompson in midfield is a clever player. A little on the slow side, but makes up for it through great intelligence and reading of the game. On more than one occasion did I find myself muttering “ah, class!”, following his tidy management and distribution of the ball.

Cartwright in goal was excellent. He just looked to have taken so much confidence from his clean sheet at the weekend, even if he didn’t have to work as hard for that one. He was perhaps a tad overconfident towards the end when he came about five miles from his goal line for a ball he was never going to get near, but I think that’s good to see in a goalkeeper who had been a little to timid in his own box to this point.

The only frustration is not putting the ball in the back of the net. Three excellent chances in the first-half, plus a couple of decent penalty shouts, but ultimately 2 straight clean sheets and 4 points from 2 very important games is very, very welcome. As others have pointed out, some tricky games ahead on the fixture list so another 3 points at Sutton would be advantageous, but realistically at this juncture a point wouldn’t be a disaster.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 10:39am
Champagne Drinker
The next improvement I'd like to see Artell make is passing accuracy when we attack. We broke well and got ourselves into some positions with real potential but the final pass was often poor, either not finding the player's feet, going behind him or not hitting the right space for him to run on to. A couple of times players in good positions made their feelings clear when the ball to them was poor (as they should).

It's easy to fix: Rose, Donovan and Clifton should be telling the rest of the team where/how they want the ball and they should be practicing 'hitting them' at pace and under pressure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 59
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185

Thompson...god what a difference he makes. He is absolutely everywhere and reads the game and danger so much better than others. It's no surprise he's knackered, he never stops. But he played nearly 80 mins last night, his match fitness is getting better. Say this quietly...there's something Poutonesque about him.

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 59
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Two strikers makes the world of difference too.  Can't believe it's taken us this long to use Wilson as the No 9 type striker.  His hold up play is absolutely outstanding.  I think as we get a bit more confident and see Rose more alongside him as opposed to dropping into midfield we could see an exciting partnership there.

When we signed Wilson, the Sutton fan we know told us that he was really strong on the ball when under challenge but we hadn't really seen that until the past couple of games. A very useful trait in a striker, especially away from home, as you'd hope he'll win a few free-kicks when the bigger defenders are all over him trying to get to the ball. This relies on competent refereeing, of course, which could be the issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 59
TownSNAFU5
March 6, 2024, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Football does not work like this but these are the results over 4 days:

Sat:
Wimbledon beat MK Dons (the latter are in the playoffs).

We best FGR in a 6 pointer.

Last night:
We get a very creditable draw at Wimbledon.  (Wimbledon aiming for the playoffs).

MK Dons win away at the leaders Mansfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
The next improvement I'd like to see Artell make is passing accuracy when we attack. We broke well and got ourselves into some positions with real potential but the final pass was often poor, either not finding the player's feet, going behind him or not hitting the right space for him to run on to. A couple of times players in good positions made their feelings clear when the ball to them was poor (as they should).

It's easy to fix: Rose, Donovan and Clifton should be telling the rest of the team where/how they want the ball and they should be practicing 'hitting them' at pace and under pressure.

Artell can't make the players passing better - only the players themselves can do that. He can coach, instruct and attempt to train them but only the players can achieve that. If they want to improve themselves then surely that is something they should aspire to.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
Poojah
March 6, 2024, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...

What a goal that was.

Tweet 1313000615312863233 will appear here...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Artell can't make the players passing better - only the players themselves can do that. He can coach, instruct and attempt to train them but only the players can achieve that. If they want to improve themselves then surely that is something they should aspire to.

But he can create the environment and opportunity for them to find those answers for themselves. Also, practicing leads to forming habits and it can become a habit for midfielders to hit the area Rose or Wilson want the ball to be in. You don't become great at something by accident.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I'll be happy for him to ascend to the pantheon of greats next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
It's funny how memory works. Until I saw Poojah's video, I had remembered it as the goal going in the Pontoon end! I've always sat in the Upper Findus so you'd think I would have got it right. Long time ago now, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

What a goal that was.

Tweet 1313000615312863233 will appear here...

Loved how Danny Coyne somehow managed to make landing back first in his own goal look good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
louth_in_the_south
March 6, 2024, 11:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Quoted from Maringer
It's funny how memory works. Until I saw Poojah's video, I had remembered it as the goal going in the Pontoon end! I've always sat in the Upper Findus so you'd think I would have got it right. Long time ago now, however.

I think he also did that at the pontoon end except it was simply a misplaced back pass over the keeper. Unless I’m imagining things , quite possibly.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
Marinerdeano
March 6, 2024, 11:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I'm beginning to get the predicament Artell was in to begin with. If he had tried more of the same with the group of players akin to Hurstesque pragmatism, he would have been slated. He perhaps went too far the other way but understandable that he wanted to demonstrate he was different and has a style. Kudos also for accepting that he needed to change things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker

But he can create the environment and opportunity for them to find those answers for themselves. Also, practicing leads to forming habits and it can become a habit for midfielders to hit the area Rose or Wilson want the ball to be in. You don't become great at something by accident.

I would be completely surprised if the environment and opportunity isn't there for the players to better themselves. I remember reading about David Beckham when he was a youth trainee. Apparently when the training sessions were finished here would stay behind and practice crossing the ball for another hour or so. That is the kind of example that leads to acquiring better skills and regardless of how you feel about him , David Beckham was an excellent crosser of a ball. I'm 100% sure that if any town player approached the coaching staff and wanted to put in extra time to acquire better passing or crossing skills then they would support him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -678
Gold Stars: 69
Whilst we wax lyrical about Cartwright's efforts against the Wombles taking the ball at full stretch and height, he is still flaky coming out and smothering the ball. I can remember on two occasions backs pointing at the ball and shouting at Cartwright for him to hesitate. Indeed when he did come off his line to smother the ball, one of ours kicked it into row Z from his hands as they were not sure of him. He did play well on Tuesday, but do remember that he might drop a clanger, and some on this site shoot him.

Hume had a tricky Neufville to contend with, and in most parts did keep him quiet, as did Rodgers.

Rose, what was he doing in the back four position? I admire his energy and tenacity, but that should be all in the opponent's third not ours.  Is this because he doesn't trust our backs yet? Maybe, just like Clifton had "verbals" with Wilson or Thompson (can't just remember which one), on positioning, when Wombles were pressing down the right.

The ball bounced awkwardly for both teams and I'm surprised Town managed it as well as Wimbledon and didn't succumb to home advantage. All around a good job, well done, lessons learnt and onto Sutton just 5 miles further South.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 2:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol
Whilst we wax lyrical about Cartwright's efforts against the Wombles taking the ball at full stretch and height, he is still flaky coming out and smothering the ball. I can remember on two occasions backs pointing at the ball and shouting at Cartwright for him to hesitate. Indeed when he did come off his line to smother the ball, one of ours kicked it into row Z from his hands as they were not sure of him. He did play well on Tuesday, but do remember that he might drop a clanger, and some on this site shoot him.

Hume had a tricky Neufville to contend with, and in most parts did keep him quiet, as did Rodgers.

Rose, what was he doing in the back four position? I admire his energy and tenacity, but that should be all in the opponent's third not ours.  Is this because he doesn't trust our backs yet? Maybe, just like Clifton had "verbals" with Wilson or Thompson (can't just remember which one), on positioning, when Wombles were pressing down the right.

The ball bounced awkwardly for both teams and I'm surprised Town managed it as well as Wimbledon and didn't succumb to home advantage. All around a good job, well done, lessons learnt and onto Sutton just 5 miles further South.  UTM

Early in the game I thought Neufville looked very dangerous but even when he did beat Hume (which wasn't often) his end product was poor. Fur coat and no knickers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
mariner91
March 6, 2024, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer

I had to trawl Youtube to find this recently cause my mates didn't believe it happened. Still one of my favourite Town memories ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
TonySmith
March 6, 2024, 3:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
On Saturday I was depressed by the football while celebrating the win, but watching this game I was very pleased with the way we played despite not getting the victory. We were at least as good as Wimbledon for much of the game and the back line looked solid. Harvey Cartwright looked like a confident, experienced football league goalkeeper in this game. Long may that continue. This formula isn't pretty, but it seems to be effective, and for the rest of this season that's got to be enough. As someone else said, this was a Paul Hurst type of performance, and I mean that in a positive way. Keep it tight at the back and you've always got a chance to grab a goal or two and win some games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 6, 2024, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mappers

Loved how Danny Coyne somehow managed to make landing back first in his own goal look good

Is the referee a young Howard Webb or do all bald refs look the same?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Poojah
March 6, 2024, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Is the referee a young Howard Webb or do all bald refs look the same?

'twas:

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=434&season_id=132

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 4:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Early in the game I thought  looked very dangerous but even when he did beat Hume (which wasn't often) his end product was poor. Fur coat and no knickers.

You're right, no knickers. Early in the first half he did look dangerous but was kept quiet for long periods. Just a good job done by our guys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
headingly_mariner
March 6, 2024, 5:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,381
Quoted from Poojah
I think the turnaround, though only three games in so far, has been quite remarkable. Over the course of our first 6 games of this calendar year, we conceded an average of 3.5 goals per game - over the last 3 that figure has dropped to 0.33 - that’s a 95% reduction.

I had felt our problems were mostly systematic - a lack of meaningful shape and a brainless press at the heart of it, but to find something that works so well by comparison deserves some credit. We looked solid defensively and in midfield, again evidenced by the fact that their best efforts all came from 20 yards+.

Thompson in midfield is a clever player. A little on the slow side, but makes up for it through great intelligence and reading of the game. On more than one occasion did I find myself muttering “ah, class!”, following his tidy management and distribution of the ball.

Cartwright in goal was excellent. He just looked to have taken so much confidence from his clean sheet at the weekend, even if he didn’t have to work as hard for that one. He was perhaps a tad overconfident towards the end when he came about five miles from his goal line for a ball he was never going to get near, but I think that’s good to see in a goalkeeper who had been a little to timid in his own box to this point.

The only frustration is not putting the ball in the back of the net. Three excellent chances in the first-half, plus a couple of decent penalty shouts, but ultimately 2 straight clean sheets and 4 points from 2 very important games is very, very welcome. As others have pointed out, some tricky games ahead on the fixture list so another 3 points at Sutton would be advantageous, but realistically at this juncture a point wouldn’t be a disaster.

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 6:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.

Why unhappy with him? They could have been unhappy with the roles they were given or they support they were getting from other players on the pitch. Like I said in another post, we will never know all that came to the surface but it certainly has helped

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
toontown
March 6, 2024, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from rancido

Why unhappy with him? They could have been unhappy with the roles they were given or they support they were getting from other players on the pitch. Like I said in another post, we will never know all that came to the surface but it certainly has helped

Well the roles they were given would have been given by Artell. The support other players were able to offer would at least in part (perhaps mostly) be determined by decisions by Artell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
forza ivano
March 6, 2024, 7:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
cousin at the game mentioned how much work/running Thompson does from side to side, plugging gaps doing a real Stacey Coldicott. He contrasted this to Conteh who seemed to stick quite rigidly to his central role, but as a consequence left gaps everywhere else.

Personally I'm quite happy with having Thompson rather than Conteh; equally I'm far more confident in seeing Hume rather than Glennon, n Tharme is starting to remind me of a younger, better quality version of Waterfall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
Heisenberg
March 6, 2024, 7:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Maringer

I remember that like it was yesterday! Not sure I ever had the heart to watch it back.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
Heisenberg
March 6, 2024, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93

Oh, to be a fly on the wall during that conversation. Honestly, what did the players say? “We’re sorry boss, but we’re useless compared to the lot you had at Crewe….”.

For the record, I took to Artell from day 1 and still like him, and after the Donny game would have been saddened if he’d left, BUT also thoroughly thought he deserved the bullet at the same time. A weird scenario.

I’m currently really glad it’s working out for him. Still a lot of work to do, though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 6, 2024, 7:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from forza ivano
cousin at the game mentioned how much work/running Thompson does from side to side, plugging gaps doing a real Stacey Coldicott. He contrasted this to Conteh who seemed to stick quite rigidly to his central role, but as a consequence left gaps everywhere else.

Personally I'm quite happy with having Thompson rather than Conteh; equally I'm far more confident in seeing Hume rather than Glennon, n Tharme is starting to remind me of a younger, better quality version of Waterfall

Watching the game on tv last night I did notice that there was, on numerous occasions, big areas of space in our half behind Gav and Andrews, it was also pretty clear how all three of our midfield players lack pace and how the two mentioned struggled to get goal side of their man once possession was lost. This was, IMO, a major factor in us conceding so many goals at home and switching to five at the back has allowed us that extra defensive cushion to challenge the opposition and buy some additional time for the midfield to get back.

Will sides like MK Dons be more adept at making use of this space to create difficulties for us or, given our success at playing them at their own game in the away fixture, would DA consider a slightly more attacking approach for this game?

I suspect if we get at least a point this formation and personnel will stay pretty much in tact but it might be nice to see how Ainlsley might perform in this formation and his experience could be a real asset for the run in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 8:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Watching the game on tv last night I did notice that there was, on numerous occasions, big areas of space in our half behind Gav and Andrews, it was also pretty clear how all three of our midfield players lack pace and how the two mentioned struggled to get goal side of their man once possession was lost. This was, IMO, a major factor in us conceding so many goals at home and switching to five at the back has allowed us that extra defensive cushion to challenge the opposition and buy some additional time for the midfield to get back.

Will sides like MK Dons be more adept at making use of this space to create difficulties for us or, given our success at playing them at their own game in the away fixture, would DA consider a slightly more attacking approach for this game?

I suspect if we get at least a point this formation and personnel will stay pretty much in tact but it might be nice to see how Ainlsley might perform in this formation and his experience could be a real asset for the run in.

Ben or Harriott ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
pontoonlew
March 6, 2024, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from forza ivano

It’s almost like the meltdown over Artells window after seeing them play a couple of times was premature
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 9:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I disagree with that statement. The fans wanted a change in direction initially as the results were getting worse, not his head. DA's rigid insistence on playing from the back, whatever the situation, and whatever the outcome backfired big time, in not only putting pressure on our defence from poor tiki-taka as they tried to move the ball about in tight spaces but also making large gaps in midfield through which opposition just poured through. The team was played like misfits and strangers. It turned sour for DA when we were getting stuffed and yet DA insisted that the Data was showing how well we were doing. I don't know if "Fan Power" triggered anything but JS comments seemed to indicate that he saw there was unrest and probably it could boil over. Perhaps the "frank discussions" held were due to fan unrest, and players questioning tactics. A player can only take so much booing.
I actually want DA to succeed, as to be honest I wanted PH to as well, even when I never warmed to him. But to not change tack when we were shipping goals as if for fun, and then tell everyone we are playing well, (as they both did) is just madness. The legacy of all this is that DA has little of fans goodwill in the bank, and the warm after glow from Tuesday will soon cool if Sutton sneaks a few past us. I don't think they will if we play like we did on Tuesday, but which of us knows which Mariners team will actually turn up and play at Sutton.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
LondonMariner43
March 6, 2024, 9:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,957
Gold Stars: 64
Really enjoyed being at the game last night.  Not a lot to add from what's already been said.  Stand out performers were Cartwright, Tharme and Thompson plus the front two of Rose and Wilson.  Still trying to work out what happened when Rose won the ball off the keeper and Wilson seemed to fall over (or be fouled) rather than put the ball in the net.  Ref was terrible and we should have had at least one penalty.

Interesting to reflect how many of the players who started last night are contracted with us for next season.  The three centre backs are all here next year and if Artell sticks to 3 at the back, I can see them becoming a great unit.  Tharme seems to be an excellent signing.  If Curtis Thompsom stays fit, he could become our midfield general next season.  Interesting to see who would play alongside him in a 3.  Could Vernam play in one of those roles?  Could Alex Hunt be developed to come back into the reckoning or will he be gone in the summer?  Upfront, Rose and Wilson are contracted to next season too.

Overall, 6 of the starting 11 last night are contracted for next season.  If this formation and line up continues to do well, that's not actually a bad place to build from for next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
mariner91
March 7, 2024, 8:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Really enjoyed being at the game last night.  Not a lot to add from what's already been said.  Stand out performers were Cartwright, Tharme and Thompson plus the front two of Rose and Wilson.  Still trying to work out what happened when Rose won the ball off the keeper and Wilson seemed to fall over (or be fouled) rather than put the ball in the net.  Ref was terrible and we should have had at least one penalty.

Interesting to reflect how many of the players who started last night are contracted with us for next season.  The three centre backs are all here next year and if Artell sticks to 3 at the back, I can see them becoming a great unit.  Tharme seems to be an excellent signing.  If Curtis Thompsom stays fit, he could become our midfield general next season.  Interesting to see who would play alongside him in a 3.  Could Vernam play in one of those roles?  Could Alex Hunt be developed to come back into the reckoning or will he be gone in the summer?  Upfront, Rose and Wilson are contracted to next season too.

Overall, 6 of the starting 11 last night are contracted for next season.  If this formation and line up continues to do well, that's not actually a bad place to build from for next year.

You'd have to expect, other than Thompson, the midfield to have a complete makeover. Holohan is out of contract and I would imagine will not be offered a new one. Andrews won't be here as he's on loan and the same goes for Wood. Clifton isn't good enough in CM and I don't think he'd be first choice or at least I hope he wouldn't if he signs a new contract. Hunt can't even get in to the starting eleven at York who are near the bottom of the NL so I would imagine he may be told he can leave too. Which would leave us with Thompson and Green who I think has an option on his contract. Even then, I'm not sure if Artell would want to keep Green if the option is the club's or if he thinks he could get better in. We need to be offering good wages to get some good, experienced FL central midfielders to compliment Thompson or we'll struggle just as much this year. A lack of mobility and a lack of ability on the ball in the centre of midfield has been one of our biggest weaknesses this season and have exacerbated problems elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Maringer
March 7, 2024, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
I wouldn't want to keep Green at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, he's just too limited as a footballer. Useful for the odd blood and thunder appearance, but in the longer term, somebody who can look after possession better would achieve much more.

No doubt that midfield is where we've been weakest all season, especially since Conteh left, and it is here where the biggest changes are required. Thompson looks a good basis to start with, but I wouldn't want to see Clifton playing in the middle of the park again, though I'd be happy to see him out wide or as a utility player.

What about Ainley? Didn't he sign a deal until the end of next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
mimma
March 7, 2024, 11:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Don't forget Callum Ainley who looked a real good player before his illness.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Don't forget Callum Ainley who looked a real good player before his illness.

He barely kicked a ball for us...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
Mariner_09
March 7, 2024, 12:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
I wouldn't want to keep Green at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, he's just too limited as a footballer. Useful for the odd blood and thunder appearance, but in the longer term, somebody who can look after possession better would achieve much more.

No doubt that midfield is where we've been weakest all season, especially since Conteh left, and it is here where the biggest changes are required. Thompson looks a good basis to start with, but I wouldn't want to see Clifton playing in the middle of the park again, though I'd be happy to see him out wide or as a utility player.

What about Ainley? Didn't he sign a deal until the end of next season?

I think generally speaking we'll be starting from scratch next season.

Cartwright is only on loan and Eastwood simply isn't up to it.

We've got Mullarkey and Rodgers for next season, and although they've looked better in recent weeks, I'd be thoroughly disappointed if we couldn't do better than those two, but they might survive as rotation options. Tharme looks decent but he can't be alone. Maher will be released, he's been really poor this season. Glennon and Amos will almost certainly be released, probably Smith as well as he's picking Harry over him at wing back. Hume might get a move back to L1 if he carries on.

Clifton's worth keeping as a utility player who always gives 100% but he cannot be a starter in a L2 side, he played above himself last season but he is limited on the ball. Agree otherwise on the midfield.

Rose is contracted but may want to go elsewhere, if someone better comes in for him. If we could keep Wilson fit, he's a real asset. I've liked what little I've seen of Pyke but injuries are probably going to define his time here and I wouldn't be surprised if he left for a Conference club. Abo's a 1 in 3 player, probably be released. Otis will be released. Chaz has two years left.

So, if I get my way and release/ship out what I've said, we're probably looking at 14 new players minimum.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Ainley's proven at this level (and above), only 26 and with nearly 300 appearances under his belt.  If he's fit I don't think we need to see any more of him to know he would be an asset.

He is only contracted until the end of the season but seeing how the club in recent years have stuck by both Evan Khouri and Sean Scannell with new contracts despite injuries, I can't for the life of me see us not offering Ainley something in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Only contracted players beyond June are Eastwood, Mullarkey, Rodgers, Tharme, Hunt, Khouri, Thompson, Vernam, Gardner, Pyke, Wilson, Rose.

A full team of established professionals who are out of contract and struggling to see many of them staying. Add to that a handful of loanees and young lads.

Lot of scope for Artell to build his own side in the summer.  Also not the worst foundations to build it on.  Key for me will be bringing in midfielders who are mobile and comfortable in possession in addition to a goalkeeper.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Cartwright spend another season on loan here, be it as first choice or competing with AN Other.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
Northbank Mariner
March 7, 2024, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,495
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Hagrid

He barely kicked a ball for us...

Poor lad couldn't help getting cancer pal. When he did get a run out (pre his diagnosis) he did look handy, quite powerful with good ball retention.
When he was in the midfield at Crewe(before a nasty injury) he absolutely bossed it, get the lad fit and he's a real asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Poor lad couldn't help getting cancer pal. When he did get a run out (pre his diagnosis) he did look handy, quite powerful with good ball retention.
When he was in the midfield at Crewe(before a nasty injury) he absolutely bossed it, get the lad fit and he's a real asset.

Not saying he could, but he got injured almost as soon as he joined, played at Milton Keynes, and then had the cancer diagnosis.

To say he looked good is absurd, he’s not been on the pitch for more than 30 mins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
Mappers
March 7, 2024, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Funny how opinions vary .

If we were to continue playing as we are now I would keep more of them as they would probably be capable of a top half finish imo playing 5-3-2  with a basic league 2 style .

But he will want to play Artell-ball won't he (what he was brought here for ) which is going to take a complete overhaul and either extremely cute recruitment or a lot of £££££ to get the players that fit - he hasn't got the conveyor belt of talent he had at Crewe here .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
forza ivano
March 7, 2024, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
I wonder whether Andrew's is just keeping his spot 'warm' ,waiting for Ainley to get match fit.
Btw thought Andrew's was ok on Tuesday, but also agree there arent any other options with khouri n ainley unfit. Wood was bloody awful when he came on , almost to the level of the legendary Mikey O'Neill !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
diehardmariner
March 8, 2024, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Wood is a funny one.  

Debut was obviously spectacular.  Then he looked completely lost next game against Tranmere and rightly dropped.

10 minute cameo against Morecambe and I thought he looked like our best player in that spell.  Picking the ball up and running at teams, then Tuesday I'm not sure he even touched the ball.  Just wandered about aimlessly as if he had no idea how football works.

The lad's got something about him but not convinced he's built for central midfield yet, maybe be more effective as a withdrawn striker but so far he's looked no less impactful than two lads we've let go on loan in Khan and Hunt in that role.

Options are a bit limited for Artell in that position really.  Last two games he's gone with the 3 of Thompson, Andrews and Holohan.  None of whom can last the full 90 without blowing.  He's only got 2 options to replace with.   Thompson did well to last until 86 but you could tell he was feeling it.  Holohan was on empty for the last 15 and I half expected Smith to come on for him with Clifton moving back inside.

Hopefully Khouri and Ainley are soon back in contention because I think they'll definitely add something extra that we've really not got at the minute.  Harsh reality is Thompson aside, I'm not really keen on any of our midfield options starting at the minute.  I think the current 3 are doing ok but it's more the best of a bad bunch type scenario.  That it's only Thompson of the current 5 options that are under contract post June is a bit of a blessing.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
Nutsy
March 8, 2024, 10:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
A midfield of Thompson, Ainley and another is quite a solid top end league two midfield when all fit in my opinion

I also think Wilson and Rose as a partnership or as Rose in behind (akin to Thomas Muller) does look very promising.

I also echo the praise for Hume, I think he looks a very competent LB at this level. Need to reflect the same at RB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.