Just Back Wimbledon

This thread currently has 6,275 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 2:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from GrimPol
Whilst we wax lyrical about Cartwright's efforts against the Wombles taking the ball at full stretch and height, he is still flaky coming out and smothering the ball. I can remember on two occasions backs pointing at the ball and shouting at Cartwright for him to hesitate. Indeed when he did come off his line to smother the ball, one of ours kicked it into row Z from his hands as they were not sure of him. He did play well on Tuesday, but do remember that he might drop a clanger, and some on this site shoot him.

Hume had a tricky Neufville to contend with, and in most parts did keep him quiet, as did Rodgers.

Rose, what was he doing in the back four position? I admire his energy and tenacity, but that should be all in the opponent's third not ours.  Is this because he doesn't trust our backs yet? Maybe, just like Clifton had "verbals" with Wilson or Thompson (can't just remember which one), on positioning, when Wombles were pressing down the right.

The ball bounced awkwardly for both teams and I'm surprised Town managed it as well as Wimbledon and didn't succumb to home advantage. All around a good job, well done, lessons learnt and onto Sutton just 5 miles further South.  UTM

Early in the game I thought Neufville looked very dangerous but even when he did beat Hume (which wasn't often) his end product was poor. Fur coat and no knickers.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
mariner91
March 6, 2024, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...

I had to trawl Youtube to find this recently cause my mates didn't believe it happened. Still one of my favourite Town memories ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
TonySmith
March 6, 2024, 3:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
On Saturday I was depressed by the football while celebrating the win, but watching this game I was very pleased with the way we played despite not getting the victory. We were at least as good as Wimbledon for much of the game and the back line looked solid. Harvey Cartwright looked like a confident, experienced football league goalkeeper in this game. Long may that continue. This formula isn't pretty, but it seems to be effective, and for the rest of this season that's got to be enough. As someone else said, this was a Paul Hurst type of performance, and I mean that in a positive way. Keep it tight at the back and you've always got a chance to grab a goal or two and win some games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 6, 2024, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mappers

Loved how Danny Coyne somehow managed to make landing back first in his own goal look good

Is the referee a young Howard Webb or do all bald refs look the same?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Poojah
March 6, 2024, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Is the referee a young Howard Webb or do all bald refs look the same?

'twas:

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=434&season_id=132

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 4:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

Early in the game I thought  looked very dangerous but even when he did beat Hume (which wasn't often) his end product was poor. Fur coat and no knickers.

You're right, no knickers. Early in the first half he did look dangerous but was kept quiet for long periods. Just a good job done by our guys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
headingly_mariner
March 6, 2024, 5:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah
I think the turnaround, though only three games in so far, has been quite remarkable. Over the course of our first 6 games of this calendar year, we conceded an average of 3.5 goals per game - over the last 3 that figure has dropped to 0.33 - that’s a 95% reduction.

I had felt our problems were mostly systematic - a lack of meaningful shape and a brainless press at the heart of it, but to find something that works so well by comparison deserves some credit. We looked solid defensively and in midfield, again evidenced by the fact that their best efforts all came from 20 yards+.

Thompson in midfield is a clever player. A little on the slow side, but makes up for it through great intelligence and reading of the game. On more than one occasion did I find myself muttering “ah, class!”, following his tidy management and distribution of the ball.

Cartwright in goal was excellent. He just looked to have taken so much confidence from his clean sheet at the weekend, even if he didn’t have to work as hard for that one. He was perhaps a tad overconfident towards the end when he came about five miles from his goal line for a ball he was never going to get near, but I think that’s good to see in a goalkeeper who had been a little to timid in his own box to this point.

The only frustration is not putting the ball in the back of the net. Three excellent chances in the first-half, plus a couple of decent penalty shouts, but ultimately 2 straight clean sheets and 4 points from 2 very important games is very, very welcome. As others have pointed out, some tricky games ahead on the fixture list so another 3 points at Sutton would be advantageous, but realistically at this juncture a point wouldn’t be a disaster.

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 6:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.

Why unhappy with him? They could have been unhappy with the roles they were given or they support they were getting from other players on the pitch. Like I said in another post, we will never know all that came to the surface but it certainly has helped

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
toontown
March 6, 2024, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from rancido

Why unhappy with him? They could have been unhappy with the roles they were given or they support they were getting from other players on the pitch. Like I said in another post, we will never know all that came to the surface but it certainly has helped

Well the roles they were given would have been given by Artell. The support other players were able to offer would at least in part (perhaps mostly) be determined by decisions by Artell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
forza ivano
March 6, 2024, 7:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
cousin at the game mentioned how much work/running Thompson does from side to side, plugging gaps doing a real Stacey Coldicott. He contrasted this to Conteh who seemed to stick quite rigidly to his central role, but as a consequence left gaps everywhere else.

Personally I'm quite happy with having Thompson rather than Conteh; equally I'm far more confident in seeing Hume rather than Glennon, n Tharme is starting to remind me of a younger, better quality version of Waterfall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.