Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from mimma
Don't forget Callum Ainley who looked a real good player before his illness.

He barely kicked a ball for us...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
Mariner_09
March 7, 2024, 12:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
I wouldn't want to keep Green at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, he's just too limited as a footballer. Useful for the odd blood and thunder appearance, but in the longer term, somebody who can look after possession better would achieve much more.

No doubt that midfield is where we've been weakest all season, especially since Conteh left, and it is here where the biggest changes are required. Thompson looks a good basis to start with, but I wouldn't want to see Clifton playing in the middle of the park again, though I'd be happy to see him out wide or as a utility player.

What about Ainley? Didn't he sign a deal until the end of next season?

I think generally speaking we'll be starting from scratch next season.

Cartwright is only on loan and Eastwood simply isn't up to it.

We've got Mullarkey and Rodgers for next season, and although they've looked better in recent weeks, I'd be thoroughly disappointed if we couldn't do better than those two, but they might survive as rotation options. Tharme looks decent but he can't be alone. Maher will be released, he's been really poor this season. Glennon and Amos will almost certainly be released, probably Smith as well as he's picking Harry over him at wing back. Hume might get a move back to L1 if he carries on.

Clifton's worth keeping as a utility player who always gives 100% but he cannot be a starter in a L2 side, he played above himself last season but he is limited on the ball. Agree otherwise on the midfield.

Rose is contracted but may want to go elsewhere, if someone better comes in for him. If we could keep Wilson fit, he's a real asset. I've liked what little I've seen of Pyke but injuries are probably going to define his time here and I wouldn't be surprised if he left for a Conference club. Abo's a 1 in 3 player, probably be released. Otis will be released. Chaz has two years left.

So, if I get my way and release/ship out what I've said, we're probably looking at 14 new players minimum.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
Ainley's proven at this level (and above), only 26 and with nearly 300 appearances under his belt.  If he's fit I don't think we need to see any more of him to know he would be an asset.

He is only contracted until the end of the season but seeing how the club in recent years have stuck by both Evan Khouri and Sean Scannell with new contracts despite injuries, I can't for the life of me see us not offering Ainley something in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Only contracted players beyond June are Eastwood, Mullarkey, Rodgers, Tharme, Hunt, Khouri, Thompson, Vernam, Gardner, Pyke, Wilson, Rose.

A full team of established professionals who are out of contract and struggling to see many of them staying. Add to that a handful of loanees and young lads.

Lot of scope for Artell to build his own side in the summer.  Also not the worst foundations to build it on.  Key for me will be bringing in midfielders who are mobile and comfortable in possession in addition to a goalkeeper.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Cartwright spend another season on loan here, be it as first choice or competing with AN Other.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
Northbank Mariner
March 7, 2024, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,497
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Hagrid

He barely kicked a ball for us...

Poor lad couldn't help getting cancer pal. When he did get a run out (pre his diagnosis) he did look handy, quite powerful with good ball retention.
When he was in the midfield at Crewe(before a nasty injury) he absolutely bossed it, get the lad fit and he's a real asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Poor lad couldn't help getting cancer pal. When he did get a run out (pre his diagnosis) he did look handy, quite powerful with good ball retention.
When he was in the midfield at Crewe(before a nasty injury) he absolutely bossed it, get the lad fit and he's a real asset.

Not saying he could, but he got injured almost as soon as he joined, played at Milton Keynes, and then had the cancer diagnosis.

To say he looked good is absurd, he’s not been on the pitch for more than 30 mins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
Mappers
March 7, 2024, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Funny how opinions vary .

If we were to continue playing as we are now I would keep more of them as they would probably be capable of a top half finish imo playing 5-3-2  with a basic league 2 style .

But he will want to play Artell-ball won't he (what he was brought here for ) which is going to take a complete overhaul and either extremely cute recruitment or a lot of £££££ to get the players that fit - he hasn't got the conveyor belt of talent he had at Crewe here .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
forza ivano
March 7, 2024, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,210
Gold Stars: 265
I wonder whether Andrew's is just keeping his spot 'warm' ,waiting for Ainley to get match fit.
Btw thought Andrew's was ok on Tuesday, but also agree there arent any other options with khouri n ainley unfit. Wood was bloody awful when he came on , almost to the level of the legendary Mikey O'Neill !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
diehardmariner
March 8, 2024, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Wood is a funny one.  

Debut was obviously spectacular.  Then he looked completely lost next game against Tranmere and rightly dropped.

10 minute cameo against Morecambe and I thought he looked like our best player in that spell.  Picking the ball up and running at teams, then Tuesday I'm not sure he even touched the ball.  Just wandered about aimlessly as if he had no idea how football works.

The lad's got something about him but not convinced he's built for central midfield yet, maybe be more effective as a withdrawn striker but so far he's looked no less impactful than two lads we've let go on loan in Khan and Hunt in that role.

Options are a bit limited for Artell in that position really.  Last two games he's gone with the 3 of Thompson, Andrews and Holohan.  None of whom can last the full 90 without blowing.  He's only got 2 options to replace with.   Thompson did well to last until 86 but you could tell he was feeling it.  Holohan was on empty for the last 15 and I half expected Smith to come on for him with Clifton moving back inside.

Hopefully Khouri and Ainley are soon back in contention because I think they'll definitely add something extra that we've really not got at the minute.  Harsh reality is Thompson aside, I'm not really keen on any of our midfield options starting at the minute.  I think the current 3 are doing ok but it's more the best of a bad bunch type scenario.  That it's only Thompson of the current 5 options that are under contract post June is a bit of a blessing.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
Nutsy
March 8, 2024, 10:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
A midfield of Thompson, Ainley and another is quite a solid top end league two midfield when all fit in my opinion

I also think Wilson and Rose as a partnership or as Rose in behind (akin to Thomas Muller) does look very promising.

I also echo the praise for Hume, I think he looks a very competent LB at this level. Need to reflect the same at RB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.