6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
March 6, 2024, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
The next improvement I'd like to see Artell make is passing accuracy when we attack. We broke well and got ourselves into some positions with real potential but the final pass was often poor, either not finding the player's feet, going behind him or not hitting the right space for him to run on to. A couple of times players in good positions made their feelings clear when the ball to them was poor (as they should).

It's easy to fix: Rose, Donovan and Clifton should be telling the rest of the team where/how they want the ball and they should be practicing 'hitting them' at pace and under pressure.

Artell can't make the players passing better - only the players themselves can do that. He can coach, instruct and attempt to train them but only the players can achieve that. If they want to improve themselves then surely that is something they should aspire to.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
Poojah
March 6, 2024, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Maringer

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...

What a goal that was.

Tweet 1313000615312863233 will appear here...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from rancido

Artell can't make the players passing better - only the players themselves can do that. He can coach, instruct and attempt to train them but only the players can achieve that. If they want to improve themselves then surely that is something they should aspire to.

But he can create the environment and opportunity for them to find those answers for themselves. Also, practicing leads to forming habits and it can become a habit for midfielders to hit the area Rose or Wilson want the ball to be in. You don't become great at something by accident.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 6, 2024, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Maringer

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...

I'll be happy for him to ascend to the pantheon of greats next season.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
It's funny how memory works. Until I saw Poojah's video, I had remembered it as the goal going in the Pontoon end! I've always sat in the Upper Findus so you'd think I would have got it right. Long time ago now, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

What a goal that was.

Tweet 1313000615312863233 will appear here...

Loved how Danny Coyne somehow managed to make landing back first in his own goal look good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
louth_in_the_south
March 6, 2024, 11:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Quoted from Maringer
It's funny how memory works. Until I saw Poojah's video, I had remembered it as the goal going in the Pontoon end! I've always sat in the Upper Findus so you'd think I would have got it right. Long time ago now, however.

I think he also did that at the pontoon end except it was simply a misplaced back pass over the keeper. Unless I’m imagining things , quite possibly.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
Marinerdeano
March 6, 2024, 11:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I'm beginning to get the predicament Artell was in to begin with. If he had tried more of the same with the group of players akin to Hurstesque pragmatism, he would have been slated. He perhaps went too far the other way but understandable that he wanted to demonstrate he was different and has a style. Kudos also for accepting that he needed to change things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
rancido
March 6, 2024, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572

But he can create the environment and opportunity for them to find those answers for themselves. Also, practicing leads to forming habits and it can become a habit for midfielders to hit the area Rose or Wilson want the ball to be in. You don't become great at something by accident.

I would be completely surprised if the environment and opportunity isn't there for the players to better themselves. I remember reading about David Beckham when he was a youth trainee. Apparently when the training sessions were finished here would stay behind and practice crossing the ball for another hour or so. That is the kind of example that leads to acquiring better skills and regardless of how you feel about him , David Beckham was an excellent crosser of a ball. I'm 100% sure that if any town player approached the coaching staff and wanted to put in extra time to acquire better passing or crossing skills then they would support him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Whilst we wax lyrical about Cartwright's efforts against the Wombles taking the ball at full stretch and height, he is still flaky coming out and smothering the ball. I can remember on two occasions backs pointing at the ball and shouting at Cartwright for him to hesitate. Indeed when he did come off his line to smother the ball, one of ours kicked it into row Z from his hands as they were not sure of him. He did play well on Tuesday, but do remember that he might drop a clanger, and some on this site shoot him.

Hume had a tricky Neufville to contend with, and in most parts did keep him quiet, as did Rodgers.

Rose, what was he doing in the back four position? I admire his energy and tenacity, but that should be all in the opponent's third not ours.  Is this because he doesn't trust our backs yet? Maybe, just like Clifton had "verbals" with Wilson or Thompson (can't just remember which one), on positioning, when Wombles were pressing down the right.

The ball bounced awkwardly for both teams and I'm surprised Town managed it as well as Wimbledon and didn't succumb to home advantage. All around a good job, well done, lessons learnt and onto Sutton just 5 miles further South.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.