Heisenberg
March 6, 2024, 7:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Maringer

For me, nobody can be described as Poutonesque until they have inadvertently scored an own goal from a block tackle made in the centre circle...

I remember that like it was yesterday! Not sure I ever had the heart to watch it back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
Heisenberg
March 6, 2024, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall during that conversation. Honestly, what did the players say? “We’re sorry boss, but we’re useless compared to the lot you had at Crewe….”.

For the record, I took to Artell from day 1 and still like him, and after the Donny game would have been saddened if he’d left, BUT also thoroughly thought he deserved the bullet at the same time. A weird scenario.

I’m currently really glad it’s working out for him. Still a lot of work to do, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 6, 2024, 7:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from forza ivano
cousin at the game mentioned how much work/running Thompson does from side to side, plugging gaps doing a real Stacey Coldicott. He contrasted this to Conteh who seemed to stick quite rigidly to his central role, but as a consequence left gaps everywhere else.

Personally I'm quite happy with having Thompson rather than Conteh; equally I'm far more confident in seeing Hume rather than Glennon, n Tharme is starting to remind me of a younger, better quality version of Waterfall

Watching the game on tv last night I did notice that there was, on numerous occasions, big areas of space in our half behind Gav and Andrews, it was also pretty clear how all three of our midfield players lack pace and how the two mentioned struggled to get goal side of their man once possession was lost. This was, IMO, a major factor in us conceding so many goals at home and switching to five at the back has allowed us that extra defensive cushion to challenge the opposition and buy some additional time for the midfield to get back.

Will sides like MK Dons be more adept at making use of this space to create difficulties for us or, given our success at playing them at their own game in the away fixture, would DA consider a slightly more attacking approach for this game?

I suspect if we get at least a point this formation and personnel will stay pretty much in tact but it might be nice to see how Ainlsley might perform in this formation and his experience could be a real asset for the run in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
Mappers
March 6, 2024, 8:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Watching the game on tv last night I did notice that there was, on numerous occasions, big areas of space in our half behind Gav and Andrews, it was also pretty clear how all three of our midfield players lack pace and how the two mentioned struggled to get goal side of their man once possession was lost. This was, IMO, a major factor in us conceding so many goals at home and switching to five at the back has allowed us that extra defensive cushion to challenge the opposition and buy some additional time for the midfield to get back.

Will sides like MK Dons be more adept at making use of this space to create difficulties for us or, given our success at playing them at their own game in the away fixture, would DA consider a slightly more attacking approach for this game?

I suspect if we get at least a point this formation and personnel will stay pretty much in tact but it might be nice to see how Ainlsley might perform in this formation and his experience could be a real asset for the run in.

Ben or Harriott ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
pontoonlew
March 6, 2024, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from forza ivano
cousin at the game mentioned how much work/running Thompson does from side to side, plugging gaps doing a real Stacey Coldicott. He contrasted this to Conteh who seemed to stick quite rigidly to his central role, but as a consequence left gaps everywhere else.

Personally I'm quite happy with having Thompson rather than Conteh; equally I'm far more confident in seeing Hume rather than Glennon, n Tharme is starting to remind me of a younger, better quality version of Waterfall

It’s almost like the meltdown over Artells window after seeing them play a couple of times was premature
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
GrimPol
March 6, 2024, 9:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think the owners need a bit of credit here as well. Overwhelmingly the fans wanted Artell gone and they've stuck with him. 5 points from the last 3 games could be massive for our season because we were in total free fall.

It is strange to see such a drastic change. Personnel pretty much the same as well. Artell keeps referring to the conversations he's had with the team after Donny, suggesting the players were unhappy with him.

I disagree with that statement. The fans wanted a change in direction initially as the results were getting worse, not his head. DA's rigid insistence on playing from the back, whatever the situation, and whatever the outcome backfired big time, in not only putting pressure on our defence from poor tiki-taka as they tried to move the ball about in tight spaces but also making large gaps in midfield through which opposition just poured through. The team was played like misfits and strangers. It turned sour for DA when we were getting stuffed and yet DA insisted that the Data was showing how well we were doing. I don't know if "Fan Power" triggered anything but JS comments seemed to indicate that he saw there was unrest and probably it could boil over. Perhaps the "frank discussions" held were due to fan unrest, and players questioning tactics. A player can only take so much booing.
I actually want DA to succeed, as to be honest I wanted PH to as well, even when I never warmed to him. But to not change tack when we were shipping goals as if for fun, and then tell everyone we are playing well, (as they both did) is just madness. The legacy of all this is that DA has little of fans goodwill in the bank, and the warm after glow from Tuesday will soon cool if Sutton sneaks a few past us. I don't think they will if we play like we did on Tuesday, but which of us knows which Mariners team will actually turn up and play at Sutton.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
LondonMariner43
March 6, 2024, 9:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Really enjoyed being at the game last night.  Not a lot to add from what's already been said.  Stand out performers were Cartwright, Tharme and Thompson plus the front two of Rose and Wilson.  Still trying to work out what happened when Rose won the ball off the keeper and Wilson seemed to fall over (or be fouled) rather than put the ball in the net.  Ref was terrible and we should have had at least one penalty.

Interesting to reflect how many of the players who started last night are contracted with us for next season.  The three centre backs are all here next year and if Artell sticks to 3 at the back, I can see them becoming a great unit.  Tharme seems to be an excellent signing.  If Curtis Thompsom stays fit, he could become our midfield general next season.  Interesting to see who would play alongside him in a 3.  Could Vernam play in one of those roles?  Could Alex Hunt be developed to come back into the reckoning or will he be gone in the summer?  Upfront, Rose and Wilson are contracted to next season too.

Overall, 6 of the starting 11 last night are contracted for next season.  If this formation and line up continues to do well, that's not actually a bad place to build from for next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
mariner91
March 7, 2024, 8:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Really enjoyed being at the game last night.  Not a lot to add from what's already been said.  Stand out performers were Cartwright, Tharme and Thompson plus the front two of Rose and Wilson.  Still trying to work out what happened when Rose won the ball off the keeper and Wilson seemed to fall over (or be fouled) rather than put the ball in the net.  Ref was terrible and we should have had at least one penalty.

Interesting to reflect how many of the players who started last night are contracted with us for next season.  The three centre backs are all here next year and if Artell sticks to 3 at the back, I can see them becoming a great unit.  Tharme seems to be an excellent signing.  If Curtis Thompsom stays fit, he could become our midfield general next season.  Interesting to see who would play alongside him in a 3.  Could Vernam play in one of those roles?  Could Alex Hunt be developed to come back into the reckoning or will he be gone in the summer?  Upfront, Rose and Wilson are contracted to next season too.

Overall, 6 of the starting 11 last night are contracted for next season.  If this formation and line up continues to do well, that's not actually a bad place to build from for next year.

You'd have to expect, other than Thompson, the midfield to have a complete makeover. Holohan is out of contract and I would imagine will not be offered a new one. Andrews won't be here as he's on loan and the same goes for Wood. Clifton isn't good enough in CM and I don't think he'd be first choice or at least I hope he wouldn't if he signs a new contract. Hunt can't even get in to the starting eleven at York who are near the bottom of the NL so I would imagine he may be told he can leave too. Which would leave us with Thompson and Green who I think has an option on his contract. Even then, I'm not sure if Artell would want to keep Green if the option is the club's or if he thinks he could get better in. We need to be offering good wages to get some good, experienced FL central midfielders to compliment Thompson or we'll struggle just as much this year. A lack of mobility and a lack of ability on the ball in the centre of midfield has been one of our biggest weaknesses this season and have exacerbated problems elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Maringer
March 7, 2024, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
I wouldn't want to keep Green at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, he's just too limited as a footballer. Useful for the odd blood and thunder appearance, but in the longer term, somebody who can look after possession better would achieve much more.

No doubt that midfield is where we've been weakest all season, especially since Conteh left, and it is here where the biggest changes are required. Thompson looks a good basis to start with, but I wouldn't want to see Clifton playing in the middle of the park again, though I'd be happy to see him out wide or as a utility player.

What about Ainley? Didn't he sign a deal until the end of next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
mimma
March 7, 2024, 11:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Don't forget Callum Ainley who looked a real good player before his illness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back Wimbledon

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.