Mappers
February 16, 2024, 11:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mayaman

It certainly has an affect.  I would say that I'm quite thick skinned but my current work place never acknowledges any good work but constantly wants to berate us for any single mistake. I work more hours and during those hours harder then others and eventually, you think what's the point?  It's a subconscious decision at times. Can't see it getting better , so the only way is out.  Ross County here I come.

Oops I'm 'one of those others'

Spending  far too much time on The Fishy while Nigel picks up the slack atm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
HerveJosse
February 16, 2024, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ska face
Never fails to amaze me, this board.

The lad comes on as a sub in a home defeat in front of less than 3k fans - probably about right. A week later he’s playing in a massive stadium through sheer fluke and suddenly he’s Franco Baresi and WE’RE to blame for this not being discovered earlier.

Unreal.

Baresi wasn’t as quick as Michee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Zmariner
February 16, 2024, 2:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
In my opinion, Michee was a competent L2 fullback displaced by a less competent one. Because we had signed Mullarkey, the managers felt compelled to play him.

In my opinion, this was not on merit, neither perfect but I know who I preferred utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
rancido
February 16, 2024, 3:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HerveJosse

Baresi wasn’t as quick as Michee

But Michee didn't know what to do with his speed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Mariner_09
February 16, 2024, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from rancido

But Michee didn't know what to do with his speed.

If Michee could have improved his final ball, just a bit, and run forward more than he did, just a bit, he'd be one of our best players.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
February 16, 2024, 6:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
We are not 'toxic' fans any more than any other club.

We just keep seeing the same under performing squads year on year; manager after manager, and that turns to anger and frustration.

As SP said yesterday, it's down to the players to get the fans on board and he doesn't mind a bit of needle from the fans.

SP was blowing smoke up the fans bottom. After the comment DA said which was carefully worded, there was a full blown thread about it. SP knows how sensitive fans are about a perceived slight. To change the culture, you've got to accept that things need to improve. To distance yourself from those toxic elements, or you're enabling, and supporting it.

You defend by saying we're no worse than other fans, and ultimately, there is always someone worse, so that sort of statement justifies even the worst of behaviour.

There is a reason teams often have better home form, it's because it's easier to recover and build yourself up with support than being in a hostile environment. Sometimes the hostile environment becomes home games, and players end up looking a shell of themselves.

You may think players should have a thick skin, but they often don't. Even Wayne Rooney commented on drinking due to the pressure and if top players have that issue, what do you think of players that don't have the hype? If you saw some 40 year old berating a 23 year old working in a shop, you'd probably be shocked, annoyed and angry. However, in football, there is some acceptance of the abuse. I'm sure it feels satisfying to berate players or feels comforting and safe to stay quiet when others do, but it takes bigger balls to stand up and cheer on a struggling player low on confidence when they do something good.

Do you have the balls to do that? Or are testicles reserved for professional footballers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
ginnywings
February 16, 2024, 7:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548

SP was blowing smoke up the fans bottom. After the comment DA said which was carefully worded, there was a full blown thread about it. SP knows how sensitive fans are about a perceived slight. To change the culture, you've got to accept that things need to improve. To distance yourself from those toxic elements, or you're enabling, and supporting it.

You defend by saying we're no worse than other fans, and ultimately, there is always someone worse, so that sort of statement justifies even the worst of behaviour.

There is a reason teams often have better home form, it's because it's easier to recover and build yourself up with support than being in a hostile environment. Sometimes the hostile environment becomes home games, and players end up looking a shell of themselves.

You may think players should have a thick skin, but they often don't. Even Wayne Rooney commented on drinking due to the pressure and if top players have that issue, what do you think of players that don't have the hype? If you saw some 40 year old berating a 23 year old working in a shop, you'd probably be shocked, annoyed and angry. However, in football, there is some acceptance of the abuse. I'm sure it feels satisfying to berate players or feels comforting and safe to stay quiet when others do, but it takes bigger balls to stand up and cheer on a struggling player low on confidence when they do something good.

Do you have the balls to do that? Or are testicles reserved for professional footballers?

Chill out!

I'm not supporting or defending anything, just pointing out that all footy fans are basically the same, and if you think they are not, then fine, carry on with that belief.

I personally have never, and will never berate any player or manager at the ground, as it's not the way I am, but will have a pop on here now and again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Hagrid
February 16, 2024, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,402
Gold Stars: 534
Idk we’ve got some real bellends in our fan base

Its been referred to on here before, away at Halifax few years back under Hursty ive never been more ashamed to be part of a crowd. The abuse that man got was absolutely disgusting
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
February 16, 2024, 10:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Chill out!

I'm not supporting or defending anything, just pointing out that all footy fans are basically the same, and if you think they are not, then fine, carry on with that belief.

I personally have never, and will never berate any player or manager at the ground, as it's not the way I am, but will have a pop on here now and again.

Re-read your post again. You're clearly defending those taking out on the players as they're "frustrated" from their "anger".

Does sounds like you meekly sit on your hands when players get excrement and won't stand up and encourage those players. What a retired coach says and a young lad of 24 feel are 2 different things.

I'm very chill, but I'm going to call you out when you defend toxicity. As much as you'd prefer to change the topic and pretend it didn't happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
ginnywings
February 16, 2024, 11:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548

Re-read your post again. You're clearly defending those taking out on the players as they're "frustrated" from their "anger".

Does sounds like you meekly sit on your hands when players get excrement and won't stand up and encourage those players. What a retired coach says and a young lad of 24 feel are 2 different things.

I'm very chill, but I'm going to call you out when you defend toxicity. As much as you'd prefer to change the topic and pretend it didn't happen.

Righto!

That's me told.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.