5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
February 14, 2024, 10:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Not good enough for a team 4th bottom of English fourth tier.

Plays tonight in front of about 50,000 at Rangers.

Is it a case of how strong GTFC and league 4 are in England or how crap Scottish Premiership is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
AncientExiledMariner
February 15, 2024, 12:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
He's moved on. We chose to move him on to free up wages to go in a different direction.

I really like the guy so good luck to him. I hope he succeeds.

I'd hope we can stop looking for every opportunity to "I told you so" and just be happy for him. I personally would have kept him, but I'm not a manager and it's not my responsibility to turn this around. I will respect Artell's right to make different calls from me and I hope he proves me wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
Kris2
February 15, 2024, 1:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Is it a case of how strong GTFC and league 4 are in England or how crap Scottish Premiership is?

It's Ross County, it's not like he signed for Celtic, Rangers or Hearts. They still operate like a non league team and have a ground capacity of 6500. I'm not sure playing his football in Dingwall is a massive step up.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
Spurn boy
February 15, 2024, 7:37am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Good luck to him and I hope he succeeds wherever he plays, I was sorry to see him leave but he’s gone hope he enjoyed playing for town.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
1mickylyons
February 15, 2024, 7:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Just seen the goals and it looked like he switched off for one of them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
toontown
February 15, 2024, 9:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Very much the latter!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
Hagrid
February 15, 2024, 9:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,431
Gold Stars: 535
cold up there. Good Luck to him, I was a fan of his, and hope he has a good career
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Just seen the goals on SSN. Looked like he was playing as a left-sided centre back.

I’ve often felt his best performances for us, post non-league, were on the right of a three.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 15, 2024, 11:59am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Not sure if going to Ross County is a backwards step or a sidewards step. My money would be, apart from the annual games vs Celtic and Rangers that Grimsby is a) a bigger club and it may have been better for him to b) stay in the English league system. The SPL is the pits.

Still, we wish him well....wouldn't fancy being in the 2nd division of Scottish football....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Not sure if going to Ross County is a backwards step or a sidewards step. My money would be, apart from the annual games vs Celtic and Rangers that Grimsby is a) a bigger club and it may have been better for him to b) stay in the English league system. The SPL is the pits.

Still, we wish him well....wouldn't fancy being in the 2nd division of Scottish football....

It’s a tough league to put into a bucket. If you use attendances as a barometer, Celtic and Rangers are Premier League sized clubs, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are lower Championship / upper League One sized, and then everyone else land somewhere between League Two and the National League.

It’s a strange league really, when you look at it like that. I think it’s a decent move for Efete personally; the likes of Craig Clay and Richard Tait did alright out of their respective moves to Motherwell. If Ross County can stay in the SPL, and it looks like they’ll have to win a relegation play-off to do so, I’d say it’s preferable to dropping into the National League, which was presumably his only other likely destination.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.