5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
February 15, 2024, 12:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
As a comparison, Chelsea let a certain  Kevin de Bruyne go, think he’s done ok since.Even the big boys don’t always get it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Meza
February 15, 2024, 6:05pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Gaffer58
As a comparison, Chelsea let a certain  Kevin de Bruyne go, think he’s done ok since.Even the big boys don’t always get it right.

And Salah.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 8:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Poojah

It’s a tough league to put into a bucket. If you use attendances as a barometer, Celtic and Rangers are Premier League sized clubs, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are lower Championship / upper League One sized, and then everyone else land somewhere between League Two and the National League.

It’s a strange league really, when you look at it like that. I think it’s a decent move for Efete personally; the likes of Craig Clay and Richard Tait did alright out of their respective moves to Motherwell. If Ross County can stay in the SPL, and it looks like they’ll have to win a relegation play-off to do so, I’d say it’s preferable to dropping into the National League, which was presumably his only other likely destination.

That’s harsh to the Old Firm - they wouldn’t just be Premier League sized clubs, they’d be Top 6, size-wise. They would dwarf clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth…..a big list, in fact.

I heard Kieran Maguire say the other day that in the year before the Prem was established, Man United had the highest income of all the British clubs - second was Glasgow Rangers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s harsh to the Old Firm - they wouldn’t just be Premier League sized clubs, they’d be Top 6, size-wise. They would dwarf clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth…..a big list, in fact.

I heard Kieran Maguire say the other day that in the year before the Prem was established, Man United had the highest income of all the British clubs - second was Glasgow Rangers.

I was just going off attendances. Celtic and Rangers would currently rank 5th and 8th respectively in the Premier League, though there’s an argument their crowds could be bigger if they had the capacity. You could probably level that at a handful of other top flight clubs too, mind.

All that said, wasn’t doubting that they’re big clubs. Of course they are.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 9:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I was just going off attendances. Celtic and Rangers would currently rank 5th and 8th respectively in the Premier League, though there’s an argument their crowds could be bigger if they had the capacity. You could probably level that at a handful of other top flight clubs too, mind.

All that said, wasn’t doubting that they’re big clubs. Of course they are.

Yeah, I know that, Poojah, you know your football.

Celtic and Rangers would be incredible additions to the EPL, but there’s no way it’d get ratified. They’ll perpetually rot in the SPL, I’m afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
IlkleyMariner
February 15, 2024, 9:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Heisenberg

Celtic and Rangers would be incredible additions to the EPL, but there’s no way it’d get ratified. They’ll perpetually rot in the SPL, I’m afraid.

Hope so. Well Celtic at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
RonMariner
February 15, 2024, 9:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,731
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Heisenberg

And of course it would be much tougher for either of them to qualify for the champions league from the English prem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 9:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Hope so. Well Celtic at least

I’m with you on that one, 100%.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Heisenberg

I seem to recall there were tentative plans to introduce them to the English league system in the late 90s / early noughties. The proposal was to let them start in the second tier, with the two smallest clubs at that level at the time being paid off to accept a relegation in order to accommodate them. At that moment in time, that would have been us and Crewe.

I can only find obscure references to this, but I’m reasonably confident that was the plan. I don’t think it ever got close to getting off the ground, and I don’t think it ever will.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 9:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I seem to recall there were tentative plans to introduce them to the English league system in the late 90s / early noughties. The proposal was to let them start in the second tier, with the two smallest clubs at that level at the time being paid off to accept a relegation in order to accommodate them. At that moment in time, that would have been us and Crewe.

I can only find obscure references to this, but I’m reasonably confident that was the plan. I don’t think it ever got close to getting off the ground, and I don’t think it ever will.

That’s fascinating - I’m a bit older than you and I don’t remember that link to us at all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.