This thread currently has 4,072 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Nantwichmariner
February 16, 2024, 3:04am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 1
Just picked up on this thread ,so back to Michee last night! Watched the 2nd half Ross C v Rangers and he was unrecognisable.. so composed and knew his role.  Always knew he had something about him…strength, pace going forward etc but clearly with us had those moments when he froze and lost the plot. He played left side of a back 3 and left CB when they went to a 4 and I swear he was organising the back line at times. He’s in front of a full house at Ibrox playing for a Dog and Duck team but looked great.
We have to ask seriously ourselves ….is it the toxic  atmosphere at BP that’s stopping these guys playing to their potential?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
February 16, 2024, 6:21am
Guest User
Quoted from Nantwichmariner
Just picked up on this thread ,so back to Michee last night! Watched the 2nd half Ross C v Rangers and he was unrecognisable.. so composed and knew his role.  Always knew he had something about him…strength, pace going forward etc but clearly with us had those moments when he froze and lost the plot. He played left side of a back 3 and left CB when they went to a 4 and I swear he was organising the back line at times. He’s in front of a full house at Ibrox playing for a Dog and Duck team but looked great.
We have to ask seriously ourselves ….is it the toxic  atmosphere at BP that’s stopping these guys playing to their potential?

Good post.

You tend to hear things like "he's a professional footballer - he should be able to handle it'.

I don't buy that at all. Whatever job you do, do you think being told, every other time you turn up for work, that you're the worst
plumber/teacher/accountant/shelf-stacker/bus driver/whatever in the world will enhance your work performance?
And the abuse from football "fans"/"supporters" can be worse than that.

Not only the players - some of the big-mouth small-brain abuse from the Main Stand directed at the manager is way out-of-order.

I wouldn't last long if appointed Town manager - I'd be "doing a Cantona". (as a younger man, not now at my age)
Reply: 21 - 43
ginnywings
February 16, 2024, 8:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
We are not 'toxic' fans any more than any other club.

We just keep seeing the same under performing squads year on year; manager after manager, and that turns to anger and frustration.

As SP said yesterday, it's down to the players to get the fans on board and he doesn't mind a bit of needle from the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2024, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 137

Good post.

You tend to hear things like "he's a professional footballer - he should be able to handle it'.

I don't buy that at all. Whatever job you do, do you think being told, every other time you turn up for work, that you're the worst
plumber/teacher/accountant/shelf-stacker/bus driver/whatever in the world will enhance your work performance?

Not only the players - some of the big-mouth small-brain abuse from the Main Stand directed at the manager is way out-of-order.

I wouldn't last long if appointed Town manager - I'd be "doing a Cantona". (as a younger man, not now at my age)

No you couldn't be a manager as this sort of thing happens at every ground when things aren't going well. Conversely you are a hero when things are going well so it's swings and roundabouts.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
ska face
February 16, 2024, 8:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,665
Gold Stars: 847
Never fails to amaze me, this board.

The lad comes on as a sub in a home defeat in front of less than 3k fans - probably about right. A week later he’s playing in a massive stadium through sheer fluke and suddenly he’s Franco Baresi and WE’RE to blame for this not being discovered earlier.

Unreal.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
toontown
February 16, 2024, 9:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face
Never fails to amaze me, this board.

The lad comes on as a sub in a home defeat in front of less than 3k fans - probably about right. A week later he’s playing in a massive stadium through sheer fluke and suddenly he’s Franco Baresi and WE’RE to blame for this not being discovered earlier.

Unreal.

Aye he was probably standing out in that side because its so dire, Scottish football is in the doldrums. He is a player who never played above NLN level before us, so the fan base can hardly be blamed for holding him back - he's been on an upward trajectory all of his time with us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
Poojah
February 16, 2024, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,609
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from toontown

Aye he was probably standing out in that side because its so dire, Scottish football is in the doldrums. He is a player who never played above NLN level before us, so the fan base can hardly be blamed for holding him back - he's been on an upward trajectory all of his time with us!

Not to split hairs but he was already playing in the National League for Wealdstone the season before we signed him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
Mayaman
February 16, 2024, 9:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 137

Good post.

It certainly has an affect.  I would say that I'm quite thick skinned but my current work place never acknowledges any good work but constantly wants to berate us for any single mistake. I work more hours and during those hours harder then others and eventually, you think what's the point?  It's a subconscious decision at times. Can't see it getting better , so the only way is out.  Ross County here I come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
forza ivano
February 16, 2024, 10:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
Going to put yourself in the shop window more easily in the SPL than NL, plus, if they pick the right manager theres a decent chance of European footie
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Maringer
February 16, 2024, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
He's always been pretty decent defensively, but wasn't up to much going forward most of the time, got caught out positionally against some wingers and his passing was never the best. Playing in a back three is probably just about the best position for him as his pace and aerial strength ought to benefit him in that role, without him being exposed out wide too often.

We never really played with a back three in recent seasons, that I can remember (not saying much, these days). He's no world-beater, but an honest professional so good to see him doing well so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.