This thread currently has 4,408 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 13, 2024, 10:35am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
All of this noise around our style of play at the moment seems very reminiscent of AB1. Were we not right near the bottom of the league by late October of his first season as the players took time to adapt? I’m sure we then went on a bit of a run leading to a decent finish with promotion the following season. (My memory may be a little muddled here)
Point I’m making is if we do allow the process to work then the potential riches are there. It’s taking a huge leap of faith to stay with it though as everyone knows quite how shite the alternative outcome is.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
JK47
February 13, 2024, 10:58am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Does the style of play not allow for adaptation to circumstances though?  If it is as predictable as the Stockport manager was suggesting then we are making a rod for our own back.  There has to be room for players to express themselves within an otherwise, overly-rigid system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
ska face
February 13, 2024, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
The defenders are free to express themselves by winning a few headers, marking players and making challenges. There are no circumstances where the style of play restricts them from doing that.

The midfielders have more scope to express themselves, which they could do if they showed a bit more willingness to get on the ball and then a bit more quality in keeping hold of it.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
Poojah
February 13, 2024, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500
Maybe. It’s possible that what we’ve witnessed lately is merely the ugly chrysalis that has to go before our metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly. But there’s also a little bit of Sir Alex’s law about this supposition - that because Ferguson struggled and was almost sacked before going onto achieve wonders at Man Yoo, that all other struggling managers will do the same, if given the time. It’s hard to know when you’ve got a Ferguson or Buckley on your hands, but they are incredibly rare entities.

I prefer the theory of Occam’s Razor - that if you have two competing ideas to explain the same phenomenon, you should prefer the simpler one. If it looks like it’s not working, then it’s probably because it’s not working.

What worries me, is that Artell started well. That performance at MK Dons, after just a single training session, was night and day compared to anything we had seen either this season or last, at least in terms of the playing style. That was followed by a good performance away at Oxford in the cup, and then another solid win against Crewe. But then, with the exception of a win against a very, very poor Salford and our forward play against Notts County, it’s not been great, and it’s not looked very good for the most part.

Artell’s preferred style of play can be very difficult to combat when you’re exceptional at it, but an absolute doddle to deal with when you’re not quite on it, as Stockport demonstrated with consummate ease at the weekend. My worry is that teams have worked us out, and that’s the main reason for this barren spell of 1 win in 9 games. And that’s a genuinely concerning record. We went down under Woods not because we lost a lot, but because we couldn’t win.

Artell doesn’t have the luxury of time. If he can’t find a way to counter what teams are doing to stop us playing out, or find another way to play entirely, then I don’t think this willl end well for him.

We’ll learn a little bit more in a few hours time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 13, 2024, 12:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
I've said this before and nothing has dissuaded me from my view:

You sign players who can play to a system or you play a system based around the players you've got.

I have a suspicion that DA is caught between 2 stools at the moment. I wouldn't have a problem if he forgot all about it and turned us into an ugly football team who are difficult to beat until we are guaranteed safety and then he can work on passing all he wants.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
GrimRob
February 13, 2024, 12:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
It will all work out in the end  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 59
arryarryarry
February 13, 2024, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116

You sign players who can play to a system or you play a system based around the players you've got.

I have a suspicion that DA is caught between 2 stools at the moment. I wouldn't have a problem if he forgot all about it and turned us into an ugly football team who are difficult to beat until we are guaranteed safety and then he can work on passing all he wants.

If we lose tonight I will post him another stool nicely wrapped.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
Roast Em Bobby
February 13, 2024, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44

We started the season off playing possession based passing football, then reverted to PH's more standard style of play and then back to a passing style under DA. In all scenarios we've generally been crap, which makes me think its got nothing to do with what system/style we play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
JK47
February 13, 2024, 1:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from ska face
The defenders are free to express themselves by winning a few headers, marking players and making challenges. There are no circumstances where the style of play restricts them from doing that.

The midfielders have more scope to express themselves, which they could do if they showed a bit more willingness to get on the ball and then a bit more quality in keeping hold of it.

Our first goal conceded against Stockport reminded me (and by the reaction of the crowd, a fair number of others) of those games on the park where a game of kids with the unpopular fat kid in goal who passes it to the opposition and then concedes a goal.  The groans from the Pontoon sounded just like the rest of the fat kids team-mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
Mariner_501
February 13, 2024, 1:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
What’s the point in trying to get these players to play a specific way when they’re all shiiit and will be leaving at the end of the season. Just stay up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Adapting to a Style of Play

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.