6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
February 13, 2024, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,690
Gold Stars: 96
The one thing that needed doing when DA came in was to steady the ship , get a few draws and wins in the bag to build the team’s confidence. Make us hard to beat . This obsession with changing the style of play overnight was really naive and has proved to be even more damaging in terms of morale by the looks of it in terms of players body language and decision making. Too much too soon with the options available to him now .
I’ll always hope a corner will be turned and things will click but I’m not overly confident . It’s some seriously good man management that’s needed now , not a fancy tactics .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 59
1mickylyons
February 13, 2024, 1:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
All of this noise around our style of play at the moment seems very reminiscent of AB1. Were we not right near the bottom of the league by late October of his first season as the players took time to adapt? I’m sure we then went on a bit of a run leading to a decent finish with promotion the following season. (My memory may be a little muddled here)
Point I’m making is if we do allow the process to work then the potential riches are there. It’s taking a huge leap of faith to stay with it though as everyone knows quite how shite the alternative outcome is.

Think we finished 9th?
I remember losing 0-4 to Rotherham at home possibly 0-4 at  HT and other than Spurs 0-3 and West Ham 1-5 the only time I recall the Town players getting a standing ovation for a pasting. We battered Rotherham from memory but couldn't score they had 4 chances and took them and went on to win the league. We had a decent cup run as well not sure if that was 1st or 2nd season losing to Wimbledon 3-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 59
chaos33
February 13, 2024, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Poojah
Maybe. It’s possible that what we’ve witnessed lately is merely the ugly chrysalis that has to go before our metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly. But there’s also a little bit of Sir Alex’s law about this supposition - that because Ferguson struggled and was almost sacked before going onto achieve wonders at Man Yoo, that all other struggling managers will do the same, if given the time. It’s hard to know when you’ve got a Ferguson or Buckley on your hands, but they are incredibly rare entities.

I prefer the theory of Occam’s Razor - that if you have two competing ideas to explain the same phenomenon, you should prefer the simpler one. If it looks like it’s not working, then it’s probably because it’s not working.

What worries me, is that Artell started well. That performance at MK Dons, after just a single training session, was night and day compared to anything we had seen either this season or last, at least in terms of the playing style. That was followed by a good performance away at Oxford in the cup, and then another solid win against Crewe. But then, with the exception of a win against a very, very poor Salford and our forward play against Notts County, it’s not been great, and it’s not looked very good for the most part.

Artell’s preferred style of play can be very difficult to combat when you’re exceptional at it, but an absolute doddle to deal with when you’re not quite on it, as Stockport demonstrated with consummate ease at the weekend. My worry is that teams have worked us out, and that’s the main reason for this barren spell of 1 win in 9 games. And that’s a genuinely concerning record. We went down under Woods not because we lost a lot, but because we couldn’t win.

Artell doesn’t have the luxury of time. If he can’t find a way to counter what teams are doing to stop us playing out, or find another way to play entirely, then I don’t think this willl end well for him.

We’ll learn a little bit more in a few hours time.

All of which makes me think that you start on this and bed it in and evolve it once you’re safe. Full pre-season and maybe even a handful of games at the end of this season if we’ve got security, but I’d prefer a more refined, pragmatic and perhaps compromised style to grind out results, get us out of the sh1t, and outside of the relegation death threat. Clearly he won’t do that, he says,  and he knows more about the game and his players than I do, so I’m probably wrong. The additional point for me though would be, that I would’ve thought you could only really confidently implement your model once you’re confident you have the players with the right and full range of attributes. Now, my eyesight ain’t that good, but everyone can see that we’ve got a lot of players who can’t do a lot of fairly rudimentary things with any consistent degree of competency. For me then, ploughing on regardless, when 3rd bottom and disregarding the judgement on players you can pick, is very, very high risk in this specific context.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 59
Mappers
February 13, 2024, 1:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from chaos33

All of which makes me think that you start on this and bed it in and evolve it once you’re safe. Full pre-season and maybe even a handful of games at the end of this season if we’ve got security, but I’d prefer a more refined, pragmatic and perhaps compromised style to grind out results, get us out of the sh1t, and outside of the relegation death threat. Clearly he won’t do that, he says,  and he knows more about the game and his players than I do, so I’m probably wrong. The additional point for me though would be, that I would’ve thought you could only really confidently implement your model once you’re confident you have the players with the right and full range of attributes. Now, my eyesight ain’t that good, but everyone can see that we’ve got a lot of players who can’t do a lot of fairly rudimentary things with any consistent degree of competency. For me then, ploughing on regardless, when 3rd bottom and disregarding the judgement on players you can pick, is very, very high risk in this specific context.

He won't change I'm certain of that

It's his way or bust

Glory or his last job in football league management

Brave or foolish ?

Time will tell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 59
DB
February 13, 2024, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,007
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from GrimRob
It will all work out in the end  

I think you've been dreaming.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 59
1mickylyons
February 13, 2024, 2:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from DB

I think you've been dreaming.

Black-and-white white bear dressed as a traffic cone ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 59
thevera
February 13, 2024, 2:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Mappers

He won't change I'm certain of that

It's his way or bust

Glory or his last job in football league management

Brave or foolish ?

Time will tell

In most of his interviews i think it is obvious he is going to stick to his way of playing and I suspect he got the job because the board also want to see the style of play he has promised.
As painful as it is now I agree with him and believe we are too good to go down mainly due to the fact there are at least two teams far worse than us
He has also said on many occassions this will take time and has warned us it might be tough at times.
He also said in one of his recent interviews it will take 3 transfer windows to get the personnel in to play the way he wants.
That will take us to the start of the 25/26 season.
If indeed we do survive this season I can see all the season ticket holders who give in after 30 mins will also not renew next year so i expect the ST sales to be well down on the last two relatively  good seasons on the field.
DA will not be going anywhere until at least the Autumn of 2025. So particularly next season when hopefully we are starting to see improvements we need to stick with the team for the full 90 minutes.
Its certainly hard being a Town fan at the moment but the board have invested in him and so will I as long as i can get up the steps to my seat.
Let's hope tonight is the first win in back to back wins for 40+ games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 59
Theimperialcoroner
February 13, 2024, 2:40pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Think we finished 9th?
I remember losing 0-4 to Rotherham at home possibly 0-4 at  HT and other than Spurs 0-3 and West Ham 1-5 the only time I recall the Town players getting a standing ovation for a pasting. We battered Rotherham from memory but couldn't score they had 4 chances and took them and went on to win the league. We had a decent cup run as well not sure if that was 1st or 2nd season losing to Wimbledon 3-1

That does sound about right. It kinda all merges into one at times.
If, and it is of course a massive if, DA does get this thing pulled together then I’ll be delighted if he even gets close to AB1. All he needs to do is sign an aging defender from Halifax and a European Cup winner and we’ll urine it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 59
Gaffer58
February 13, 2024, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I’ve said it before, AB1 was quite unique in his style at that time, the British way was to lump it forward to a big centre forward and hope to win the knock downs, even the national team played that way, but AB saw a new way so once in his second season the players had learnt what was expected opposing teams could be played off the pitch, but today the majority of teams try to play possession football so to be successful you need to be better at it then the opposition, that’s probably where we have a problem.Maybe, and I am a supporter of possession football, a team that plays the long ball with big physical players could succeed at our level because it’s different to what everyone else is playing, but it’s obvious the higher up the football pyramid you go possession style will be more successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 59
louth_in_the_south
February 13, 2024, 7:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,690
Gold Stars: 96
I’d be interested to see how a team like the late 80s -early 90s Wimbledon would fare in the PL now. Ultra physical and fit with a direct style would probably devastate some teams now . Finishing with 11 men on the pitch would be unlikely however, which would mean it was less successful.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Adapting to a Style of Play

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.