This thread currently has 4,412 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Gilbertswand
February 13, 2024, 9:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +183
Gold Stars: 21
There was some interesting stuff on Humberside tonight with some of the ex players talking about Hull and Rosenior and how he had massive problems to start with playing out from the back, giving goals away and eventually getting it right. They were saying the system works but is down to the players making the right decisions and having the right personnel. Basically, everything Artell has been saying.  If you look at it most clubs in the premier league they play this way and if we are going to attract quality loans from higher up we need to follow this approach. You cant blame Artell for doing what he has been brought in for..They are his beliefs and the reason he was recruited. Maybe the positive away results at first clouded the view that the methods were working, but things have gone west quickly. I think it comes down to effectively managing change. Implementing a fundamental change immediately can be dangerous...It is important  to understand what you have to work with and manage the change
incrementally, so that performance is maintained... I think we will get there eventually but at the moment we have a plan A that i'snt working and no plan B so we are predictable. Just hope we do enough to stay up so he can implement this style with a preseason and the right players. UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
HerveJosse
February 13, 2024, 10:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Gilbertswand
There was some interesting stuff on Humberside tonight with some of the ex players talking about Hull and Rosenior and how he had massive problems to start with playing out from the back, giving goals away and eventually getting it right. They were saying the system works but is down to the players making the right decisions and having the right personnel. Basically, everything Artell has been saying.  If you look at it most clubs in the premier league they play this way and if we are going to attract quality loans from higher up we need to follow this approach. You cant blame Artell for doing what he has been brought in for..They are his beliefs and the reason he was recruited. Maybe the positive away results at first clouded the view that the methods were working, but things have gone west quickly. I think it comes down to effectively managing change. Implementing a fundamental change immediately can be dangerous...It is important  to understand what you have to work with and manage the change
incrementally, so that performance is maintained... I think we will get there eventually but at the moment we have a plan A that i'snt working and no plan B so we are predictable. Just hope we do enough to stay up so he can implement this style with a preseason and the right players. UTM  

But the players Rosenior has to work with at Hull are on a different level to ours .There wage bill last year was £16m ours is £3m
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
Captaincod
February 13, 2024, 10:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
Also, Hull are not in danger of being relegated from the football league for the third time in their recent history !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
Mappers
February 13, 2024, 10:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from thevera

In most of his interviews i think it is obvious he is going to stick to his way of playing and I suspect he got the job because the board also want to see the style of play he has promised.
As painful as it is now I agree with him and believe we are too good to go down mainly due to the fact there are at least two teams far worse than us
He has also said on many occassions this will take time and has warned us it might be tough at times.
He also said in one of his recent interviews it will take 3 transfer windows to get the personnel in to play the way he wants.
That will take us to the start of the 25/26 season.
If indeed we do survive this season I can see all the season ticket holders who give in after 30 mins will also not renew next year so i expect the ST sales to be well down on the last two relatively  good seasons on the field.
DA will not be going anywhere until at least the Autumn of 2025. So particularly next season when hopefully we are starting to see improvements we need to stick with the team for the full 90 minutes.
Its certainly hard being a Town fan at the moment but the board have invested in him and so will I as long as i can get up the steps to my seat.
Let's hope tonight is the first win in back to back wins for 40+ games

I'm firmly on the fence tbh

I honestly don't know or pretend to have any idea which way it will go .

My only belief is he will either be a rip roaring success or complete failure - I can't see it being dull or anywhere in between the two variables .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
FishySmithy
February 13, 2024, 11:08pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Speaking of adapting to David’s Style of play

Stats at Crewe

League Two

First season at Crewe finished -17th

Second season- 15th

Third season- 12th

Fourth season 2nd due to Covid finishing season early

League One

Fifth season - 12th

Sixth season (sacked 24th relegated)

Obviously took some time out to reflect and learn lessons so may have evolved somewhat.

In that time Crewe took some hammerings each season a few 4/6-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
Nelly GTFC
February 13, 2024, 11:48pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from FishySmithy
Speaking of adapting to David’s Style of play

In that time Crewe took some hammerings each season a few 4/6-1
I forgot Artell was in charge for this... we was 6 points off the play-offs as well lol.
Tweet 830765573839712256 will appear here...

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
MrThirsty
February 13, 2024, 11:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

That does sound about right. It kinda all merges into one at times.
If, and it is of course a massive if, DA does get this thing pulled together then I’ll be delighted if he even gets close to AB1. All he needs to do is sign an aging defender from Halifax and a European Cup winner and we’ll urine it.

What AB1 had that DA doesn’t, from memory so apologies if wrong and for any omissions, was a good keeper (Sherwood), defence (Lever, Tilson, Agnew, McDermott), midfield, (Cunnington, Cockers, Gilbert, Jobling) and forwards (Rees, big Keith, North), Most of these held their own when we got to what is now championship level. Hopefully DA can keep us up but I think he may have to be more pragmatic in the short term to achieve long term goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
rancido
February 14, 2024, 10:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MrThirsty

What AB1 had that DA doesn’t, from memory so apologies if wrong and for any omissions, was a good keeper (Sherwood), defence (Lever, Tilson, Agnew, McDermott), midfield, (Cunnington, Cockers, Gilbert, Jobling) and forwards (Rees, big Keith, North), Most of these held their own when we got to what is now championship level. Hopefully DA can keep us up but I think he may have to be more pragmatic in the short term to achieve long term goals.

Three of those players, Tilson, Cockers and Big Keith , were signed from non- league clubs and were not initially thought of as good acquisitions. Buckley came from managing a non- league club as well.The general view from fans writing to the G.E.T was that the club were signing non-league staff to prepare for non- league football.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
trickeymickey
February 14, 2024, 12:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Fishysmithy - Do you seem to be saying thaat crewe had to adapt to Artells style of play?
That wasnt necessary.  He had played for Crewe and knew Crewe's style.  He got the job and things carried on as they always have.  The style was set by others 30 years ago and Artell had to follow it.
You are correct about big defeats though.  if the kids get it right they can look a bit like Brazil but if they dont (and regularly they dont) then the inevitable happens.
He got the sack cos his recruitment to fill holes that the kids couldnt fill was abysmal.  The exact opposite of this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
HertsGTFC
February 14, 2024, 12:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Gilbertswand

You have to say that trying it with the current set of donkeys when you're near the bottom of the league is a very risky strategy and currently one that's looking like poor judgement.

Playing out isn't a bad thing, unless you come up against teams who want to press you really hard and are in your faces constantly. Feels like it's relatively easy to play against if you're willing to put the efforts out of possession.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Adapting to a Style of Play

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.