MuddyWaters
February 15, 2024, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from CSLM
The major problem we have is that the midfielders don't show for the ball or trust themselves. You can immediately see the gap left by Conteh who did both. Recruitment wise that is what we need.

I'm a bit confused about why people think we will start accruing loads of points if we try to dig in and not play football. The evidence doesn't really back that up.

I agree that Conteh is a big loss and Thompson is his replacement and looked nothing like good enough last week, but apparently was at Accrington. I just don’t see enough creativity front to back, plenty of individual talent but not the gel to bring it all together.

I was really enthused when we beat Crewe but that seems a very long time ago.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
louth_in_the_south
February 15, 2024, 5:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MarinerMal

Perhaps rugby union is more your game.

No it’s shi.te

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
oochiad
February 15, 2024, 6:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Thompson filled Contehs roll very well against Accrington, but didn’t manage it against Stockport. Let’s not write him off before we play the likes of Doncaster…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
Son of Cod
February 15, 2024, 8:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Thompson is a different sort of player to Conteh though. Nowhere near as comfortable on the ball but a savvier battler who in theory won't leave the defenders as exposed as Conteh did at times. The problem is that the style of play we're adopting needs that Conteh outlet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2024, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Son of Cod
Thompson is a different sort of player to Conteh though. Nowhere near as comfortable on the ball but a savvier battler who in theory won't leave the defenders as exposed as Conteh did at times. The problem is that the style of play we're adopting needs that Conteh outlet.

So who do we play through from the back? It’s clear he doesn’t trust Hunt and the thought of using Green in that role scares the living bejesus out of me.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
Son of Cod
February 15, 2024, 9:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So who do we play through from the back? It’s clear he doesn’t trust Hunt and the thought of using Green in that role scares the living bejesus out of me.

Yeah that's a big question that needs addressing that I suspect we're hoping we get away with for the time being. Regarding Hunt, did you listen to Pearson's pre-match? Said he's been out injured and is back in contention. Went beyond that and said no problems with his attitude in training too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
toontown
February 15, 2024, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
As regards how do we adapt our style play I'd say that one way we could help ourselves is to not be so painfully predictable, just some variation in play would be good. There was a moment against Stockport were the keeper came to collect it, Hume went running forward signalling for a ball to go on an immediate attack with. Instead, to everyone's frustration, the keeper held on to it, everybody got in their usual positions and he rolled it to a CB to start tapping around with it etc.

I can't for the life of me see why, even if you were going to play a passing out from the back style you would want to refuse opportunities to attack like that when you're behind.

Whether that's a tactical instruction from DA or an unwillingness to try something from Cartwright I see that as a weakness in us that's unjustifiable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
AncientExiledMariner
February 15, 2024, 11:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from toontown
As regards how do we adapt our style play I'd say that one way we could help ourselves is to not be so painfully predictable, just some variation in play would be good. There was a moment against Stockport were the keeper came to collect it, Hume went running forward signalling for a ball to go on an immediate attack with. Instead, to everyone's frustration, the keeper held on to it, everybody got in their usual positions and he rolled it to a CB to start tapping around with it etc.

I can't for the life of me see why, even if you were going to play a passing out from the back style you would want to refuse opportunities to attack like that when you're behind.

Whether that's a tactical instruction from DA or an unwillingness to try something from Cartwright I see that as a weakness in us that's unjustifiable.

He probably wasn't ready, and it does happen. Often runs are missed, and you go back and do it again. You see what happened for their goal when the GK tries to play a pass not on. Cartwright was probably a little scarred by the goal, and it's perfectly understandable.

With time, they get better at understanding each other and what they'll do. 1 missed opportunity doesn't mean you cannot do something or don't try.

It's perfectly justifiable. No player has 100% pass rate, and errors and mistakes is part of the game. It's making sure the positives outweigh the negatives. It's a game played by humans, not robots.

Also, you need to get the passing basics down and confidence with it before you start throwing in variation. They haven't been doing this a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 16, 2024, 7:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
It’s the slim pickings of quality that we have here for next season that worries me, and the quality of those already contracted with us (at the moment) that could/would stay. It’s hard to make a decent case, aside from half a dozen at best, that would fill you with any hope again in this league again next term.

Results are needed, and sooner rather than later. The pressure needs to be put on other teams and not on our players but, when things don’t work, everything gets questioned.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
AncientExiledMariner
February 16, 2024, 10:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It’s the slim pickings of quality that we have here for next season that worries me, and the quality of those already contracted with us (at the moment) that could/would stay. It’s hard to make a decent case, aside from half a dozen at best, that would fill you with any hope again in this league again next term.

Results are needed, and sooner rather than later. The pressure needs to be put on other teams and not on our players but, when things don’t work, everything gets questioned.

Well, the less quality we have here that expire at the end of the season give us extra budget to replace with better. Obviously it won't be a full refresh as some under contract players may not be easy to ship off, but a good summer transfer window will help more than a January one. I'm more concerned about getting it right this season. Summer will be childs play compared to the challenge we have right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Adapting to a Style of Play

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.