Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who Stays and Who Goes....
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who Stays and Who Goes....

This thread currently has 8,732 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 30, 2024, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from It Bites

Great post btw .

I agree something is wrong behind the scenes for PH to intercourse up so bad in a window . A relegated GK and Defender was never the best place to build a team from . Eisa is lazy and Gnoua and Ainley ( GWS) seemed like panick additions . I don’t think there is much money available for the team and I also think the owners won’t be devastated if we go down ?

I mean, pretty much every word of that is just daft.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
chaos33
January 30, 2024, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from ska face
I think Hurst generally overestimated his own ability to change the mindset and such a large group of players who had been recent failures elsewhere, based on the belief that they had some technical ability.

Eastwood - never done anything at 27 years old apart from making a string of catastrophic errors for a Rochdale side that were relegated to the conference last year. Persisted with him as no.1 until the day he got sacked

Rodgers - starting centre half at Accrington who finished second bottom of L1 last year

Mullarkey - relegated with Rochdale last year, only just crept over 100 matches total this season at age 28.

Glennon - not fancied by struggling Barrow, inconsistent last year

Vernam - noted chronic, less than 150 appearances at age 26/27 and mainly off the bench. Comes in - chronic.

Pyke - not fancied anywhere he’s been, inconsistent in every positions, never managed more than 5 or 6 in a season despite being signed as a centre forward

Ganouha/Wilson/Ainley all signed to play as part of this interchangeable lineup behind the striker. All inconsistent or injury prone to a certain extent.

That’s a lot of people to bring in and suddenly decide that you can change how they approach the game, turn them into a bunch of consistent, reliable winners when for most of their recent careers they have been inconsistent, unreliable losers. Might sound harsh but those are the facts.

Think he left himself too much to do and once you get into a habit of being not very good, and surrounded by players who are the same, it’s hard to drag yourself out of it.

There’s only Rose, Conteh and Eisa who have achieved anything close to the level which might’ve been expected of them.

Suppose you might make this argument about any of the players we bring in, that they’re inconsistent, but I don’t think we’ve ever set up a back 5 comprised entirely of people like that.

Completely agree.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
AncientExiledMariner
January 30, 2024, 11:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I think one problem we also have is that when the highlights in the team have gone for various reasons, we've not brought in the players that could pull up an average team.

We had Taylor (age), McAtee (contract), Waterfall (age), Smith (loan), George Lloyd (loan), Crocombe (contract), Conteh (buy out clause) at various points. This has often papered over the cracks, but when we've lost these from the team, we failed to replace them and it's getting clear how distinctly average the rest of our squad has been. Between replacing those with less good versions, and trying to replace other average players with players with just as prominent flaws, it's really put us in a bind.

Yes, we knew about some of these, and yes we've tried. But it just hasn't panned out. You buy players you think will be better, but it's always a gamble, and we've been on the losing end of this recently. Usually you hope the options you pull in are mostly better, but the good ones were needed to plug huge gaping holes.

We never really build a competent league 2 team, just had a number of players artificially inflating where we actually where. We've to some extent stuffed it with loan talent to get through (Smith, Lloyd, Emmanuel).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
diehardmariner
January 30, 2024, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ska face
I think Hurst generally overestimated his own ability to change the mindset and such a large group of players who had been recent failures elsewhere, based on the belief that they had some technical ability.

Eastwood - never done anything at 27 years old apart from making a string of catastrophic errors for a Rochdale side that were relegated to the conference last year. Persisted with him as no.1 until the day he got sacked

Rodgers - starting centre half at Accrington who finished second bottom of L1 last year

Mullarkey - relegated with Rochdale last year, only just crept over 100 matches total this season at age 28.

Vernam - noted chronic, less than 150 appearances at age 26/27 and mainly off the bench. Comes in - chronic.

Pyke - not fancied anywhere he’s been, inconsistent in every positions, never managed more than 5 or 6 in a season despite being signed as a centre forward

Ganouha/Wilson/Ainley all signed to play as part of this interchangeable lineup behind the striker. All inconsistent or injury prone to a certain extent.

That’s a lot of people to bring in and suddenly decide that you can change how they approach the game, turn them into a bunch of consistent, reliable winners when for most of their recent careers they have been inconsistent, unreliable losers. Might sound harsh but those are the facts.

Think he left himself too much to do and once you get into a habit of being not very good, and surrounded by players who are the same, it’s hard to drag yourself out of it.

There’s only Rose, Conteh and Eisa who have achieved anything close to the level which might’ve been expected of them.

Suppose you might make this argument about any of the players we bring in, that they’re inconsistent, but I don’t think we’ve ever set up a back 5 comprised entirely of people like that.

Aye, that's a really good point.  Again, it goes against type of Hurst going down a 'safe' path.

Whenever you look at Hurst's successful recruitment, it's experience that he always went with.  Every version of the team's he's built here have had it at the core. People who know how to do what they do at the level they're at, with it pulling others along with them.

Not talking just about the teams that got promotion, more about bringing in players who were effect.  Of course there's the Disley types who were proven at levels above.  But the LJL's, the Nathan Arnold's, the Carl Magnay's, the Toto's, the Andy Monkhouse's, the Richard Tait's.  Those with a pedigree of doing at that level.   Second spell, the Ryan Taylor's even Shaun Pearson's return...all about getting in those with the know-how at that level.

Last summer it just largely feels (again, with hindsight) like too much of a gamble.  Rose aside, who was a sure thing?  None of them. Too many with too much to prove perhaps?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
Mariner_09
January 30, 2024, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mayaman
We were flying quite high at the beginning with Hurt's recruited players. If we had managed games better we could have held onto three points instead of going home with one or nowt.   Even with the freefall, we wouldn't be looking over our shoulder now.  The defenders have tried to play out of the back and somehow forgotten the basics.  Surely, a fullback has to stop the ball  coming into the box.  We've let in so many soft goals - and that must demoralise the team. we even let lowly Slough put three past us. It's quite sad that I was so excited about this season but now just want to get through it.

Absolutely true, if we'd won those games against Walsall, Bradford and Crawley, Hurst would still be here.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
rancido
January 30, 2024, 2:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mariner_09

Absolutely true, if we'd won those games against Walsall, Bradford and Crawley, Hurst would still be here.

I wouldn't say we were " flying high" but those lost points were crucial to our situation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
mariner91
January 30, 2024, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from It Bites

Great post btw .

I agree something is wrong behind the scenes for PH to intercourse up so bad in a window . A relegated GK and Defender was never the best place to build a team from . Eisa is lazy and Gnoua and Ainley ( GWS) seemed like panick additions . I don’t think there is much money available for the team and I also think the owners won’t be devastated if we go down ?

Yeah I'm sure the owners will love the decrease in revenue and funding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
Limerick Mariner
January 30, 2024, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ska face

Good summary, although I’ve perhaps more reservations about Eisa, despite a great performance v Notts.

But isn’t this just Paul Hurst in nutshell - great at getting a moderately able players into a system and shape that delivers an uptick in performance and PPG. But when it comes to wholesale reshaping a squad with a bigger budget to get a major kick on in the clubs standing his shortcomings become apparent - as per Ipswich
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
nightrider
January 30, 2024, 3:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ska face

Yet all Town fans thought we'd assembled a good team  
You pay peanuts....
The writing was on the wall when we were left with the debts that Fenty left after theyd supposedly bought the club. Ah well, its going to be a long long process and Id imagine Artell wont be here to see it out. It will take a good few years to build a promotion team on a budget

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
MuddyWaters
January 30, 2024, 3:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09

Would he? The owners wanted him to play more aesthetically pleasing football.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who Stays and Who Goes....

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.