Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who Stays and Who Goes....
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who Stays and Who Goes....

This thread currently has 8,729 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
male private Nale
January 28, 2024, 6:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Corkyefes
I think we will just starve off relegation this season, as I think there will be two worse teams (We HAVE to beat Donny, Forest Green and Sutton).
But looking at the list of players, its absoultely frightenning the amount of players I would let go, or look to offload at the end of the season.

I think thats a big task for any manager and I think the owners need to get in their minds now, that the close season may cost them more money than they envisaged!

Is this the worst squad we've seen from Town in the last ten years? - Potentially is.

Goalkeepers              
Harvey Cartwright - Think gets unfair critistim. Kept us in games and most goals havent been his fault. Would sign as backup.
Jake Eastwood - Not good enough. Offload.

Defenders              
Danny Amos - Not good enough. Offload.
Michee Efete - Not good enough. Offload.
Anthony Glennon - Defensively very poor and a massive portion of goals conceeded have come down his side. Offload.
Niall Maher - Should only be kept as backup.
Toby Mullarkey - Defensively very poor and a massive portion of goals conceeded have come down his side. Offload.
Harvey Rodgers - One of the worst defenders I've seen.
Doug Tharme - Too early to judge.

Midfielders              
Callum Ainley - No comment except get well soon.
Jamie Andrews - Goes absent in games too many times. Don't attempt to sign.
Aaron Braithwaite - No comment
Jamie Bramwell - No comment
Harry Clifton - Not the same player as last couple of seasons. Unfortunatley it was maybe time for him to move on last summer when we had 'rumoured' interest.
Kieran Green - Not good enough. Offload.
Gavan Holohan - Unfortunatley offload at the end of the season. Been a good player but now becoming to inconsistant.
Alex Hunt - Not good enough. Offload.
Otis Khan - Not good enough. Let contract run out.
Evan Khouri - Needs a 6 month loan to see how he gets on.
Charles Vernam - He needs to prove what he can offer towards end of the season.
Harry Wood - To early to assess, but IF it was just based on yesterday, i would'nt attempt to sign.
Arthur Gnahoua - Not good enough. Offload.

Forwards                    
Abo Eisa - Offer a new 1 year contact, but needs to be more consistant.
Edwin Essel - No comment, but assume he will be released.
Cameron Gardner - No comment, but I dont see him breaking into the team this season.
Justin Obikwu - Too early to judge.
Rekeil Pyke - Hardly available. Offload.
Danny Rose - Keep. The only shining light of a poor season.
Harvey Tomlinson - No comment, but assume he will be released.
Donovan Wilson - Hardly available. Offload.

Probably the most verbose post of the season. Hats off

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
Corkyefes
January 28, 2024, 7:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7

I think the only things I would change is I'd keep Gav and maybe Arthur as a back ups and I wouldn't send Khouri out on loan I'd keep him because before he got this lkng term injury he was looking good.

Maybe agree with you on keeping Gav as backup, but for Gnahoua I would have to disagree with you completely.
0 goals and 1 assist in 19 league games (averaging 58 minutes playing time per game), is absolutely dire for a winger.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Corkyefes

Maybe agree with you on keeping Gav as backup, but for Gnahoua I would have to disagree with you completely.
0 goals and 1 assist in 19 league games (averaging 58 minutes playing time), is absolutely dire for a winger.

Yet some of our best performances have involved Arthur. He certainly works a damn sight harder than Eisa.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
It Bites
January 28, 2024, 7:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,196
Gold Stars: 265
Davies , Pearson, Croudson out now please
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
Northbank Mariner
January 28, 2024, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,464
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from It Bites
Davies , Pearson, Croudson out now please

Absolutely with you on this, DA should've been given a clean slate to work with, I honestly think the biggest faux pas by the owners is showing loyalty to 3 coaches who were part of the coaching staff that had us playing the most boring, anti football I've seen.
To tell a manager (head coach) "heres your tools, oh and you have to use those blunt chisels to carve out a chippendale" was wrong, that should never, ever have been their call to make
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
January 28, 2024, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Players coming in should improve us. I think that is the general idea whoever is in charge, if like us you have a great fan base, good income, a proud history and have had a couple of good years.

I have rarely been less impressed by the the two new players who started on Saturday.  Tharme and Wood I thought were so below average it took the mickey.

We desperately need some proper money spending to get us back on track. It is ludicrous to think we can become sustainable at this point of our development. I personally think the owners have put several carts before several horses but understand what they are trying to eventually achieve.

Every lower league club wants to be the next Brighton, but you need to put the football front and centre of everything until the football world stops seeing you as perpetual strugglers.

I think the owners have been a bit naive. Players move for money and prospects. You won't entice better players by being nice people or have particular values or whatever.

Are we ever going to get new investment to give us a kick start?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 8:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,942
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Absolutely with you on this, DA should've been given a clean slate to work with, I honestly think the biggest faux pas by the owners is showing loyalty to 3 coaches who were part of the coaching staff that had us playing the most boring, anti football I've seen.
To tell a manager (head coach) "heres your tools, oh and you have to use those blunt chisels to carve out a chippendale" was wrong, that should never, ever have been their call to make

Yeah but no but …

Shaun was a player then a scout & coach in development up until Hurst leaving.

Everyone raves about how good Crocombe was, you’re the one who’s already identified the link between coaching & performance. So Steve could have contributed to that.

Can’t comment on Ben but as interim we did look a bit more organised & robust.

I do agree that if you want to keep players on their toes maybe there’s something in removing familiarity and putting them in a place where they have to earn the respect of the coaches to get picked

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
Mikey_345
January 29, 2024, 11:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Hopefully, some other mug can take them off our hands. That FA Cup money has been well and truly pīsséd up the wall.

Has it? From the players arriving this season I'd argue only Rodgers and Mullarkey have been poor additions. We signed Conteh who has rather quickly made us what must be a profit and chance of future earnings, so no money lost there infact money made.

The players further up the pitch have been decent enough, with Rose been exceptional. Wilson/Pykle when playing have had an impact. Eisa has scored a few and been dangerous in patches - needs to make that more often and Vernam it would be unfair to comment on as has spent along time injured.

Issue for me is we may have tried to over correct. Last season we didn't score or create as much, but did ok relatively speaking in defence - it's the exact opposite this year. It's telling that we've almost scored more than we did last season playing 18 games less but have conceded more than we did last season.

I can't help feel the issues this year stem from players already here not pulling their weight or taking a backward step. Maher, Waterfall, Clifton, Green, Holohan, Khan, Hunt etc etc.

In terms of who to keep;

Firstly the one that I might get pelters for - Glennon. Had issues defensively but had really improved when coming back in around the time Shaun and Ben took charge, with a couple of MOTM performances. If you sort out the major defensive issues we have, his attacking threat and ability far and above makes up for any deficiencies in defence. Think we have 3/4 players back there that are a bigger problem. I know many will disagree, but just my opinion.

Rose, Vernam, Clifton, Wilson, Pyke, Eisa, Khouri might be about it though for players, at the moment, i'd want to keep. A few others could improve or be decent back up's but i'm not convinced.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
jamesgtfc
January 29, 2024, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mikey_345

Has it? From the players arriving this season I'd argue only Rodgers and Mullarkey have been poor additions. We signed Conteh who has rather quickly made us what must be a profit and chance of future earnings, so no money lost there infact money made.

The players further up the pitch have been decent enough, with Rose been exceptional. Wilson/Pykle when playing have had an impact. Eisa has scored a few and been dangerous in patches - needs to make that more often and Vernam it would be unfair to comment on as has spent along time injured.

Issue for me is we may have tried to over correct. Last season we didn't score or create as much, but did ok relatively speaking in defence - it's the exact opposite this year. It's telling that we've almost scored more than we did last season playing 18 games less but have conceded more than we did last season.

I can't help feel the issues this year stem from players already here not pulling their weight or taking a backward step. Maher, Waterfall, Clifton, Green, Holohan, Khan, Hunt etc etc.

In terms of who to keep;

Firstly the one that I might get pelters for - Glennon. Had issues defensively but had really improved when coming back in around the time Shaun and Ben took charge, with a couple of MOTM performances. If you sort out the major defensive issues we have, his attacking threat and ability far and above makes up for any deficiencies in defence. Think we have 3/4 players back there that are a bigger problem. I know many will disagree, but just my opinion.

Rose, Vernam, Clifton, Wilson, Pyke, Eisa, Khouri might be about it though for players, at the moment, i'd want to keep. A few others could improve or be decent back up's but i'm not convinced.

Yes, it has been pïsséd up the wall because here we are at the end of January joint third bottom of League 2. That money should have been used to kick on, not go backwards!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
Mikey_345
January 29, 2024, 12:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes, it has been pïsséd up the wall because here we are at the end of January joint third bottom of League 2. That money should have been used to kick on, not go backwards!

But as I say, I don’t think we can other than the two defenders say any of the others were a waste. You can argue maybe more needed spending or in different areas, I can get on board with that but only 2 players haven’t worked imo.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who Stays and Who Goes....

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.