11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
January 24, 2024, 6:40pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,532
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m no Fenty apologist but there has to come a time when we stop harking back to the past. Yes, he left us deep in the excrement but we’ve had a successful promotion, a lucrative cup run and substantial season ticket sales since he left.

Agreed. The day the custodian of the day stops paying for work that should have been done between 2004 and 2021 I will move the blame elsewhere.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 109
MuddyWaters
January 24, 2024, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

But the point is that a decision taken today can have repercussions many years later. Who would have thought , at the time, that the UK declaring war on Germany over it's invasion of Poland would change the political climate of Europe to date with it's effects still being felt today, especially in the Balkans.

I get all of that but berating Fenty isn’t going to change anything. I had multiple run ins with him and his brother on private messaging and disliked him with a passion but he’s thankfully gone but we’ve got to get on with it.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 109
louth_in_the_south
January 24, 2024, 6:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
Holloway’s Covid season was a disaster. Hurst didn’t really stop the rot when he came in . The Stevenage game at home summed the club up when we got a last minute equaliser , then they went straight down the other end and scored. I knew we were doomed as soon as that goal went in . Tbh im still nervous about the next couple of years .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 109
rancido
January 24, 2024, 7:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I get all of that but berating Fenty isn’t going to change anything. I had multiple run ins with him and his brother on private messaging and disliked him with a passion but he’s thankfully gone but we’ve got to get on with it.

I totally agree but we still have to never forget the damage he did to the club. You ignore history at your peril to help ensure you don't make the same mistakes again.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 109
MuddyWaters
January 24, 2024, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I totally agree but we still have to never forget the damage he did to the club. You ignore history at your peril to help ensure you don't make the same mistakes again.

I’ll never forget it, don’t worry, but I’m not sure how Jason and Andrew are going to balance sustainability and being competitive in the future. I sometimes wonder if the promotion and the cup run have created an unrealistic sense of expectation.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 109
rancido
January 24, 2024, 7:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ll never forget it, don’t worry, but I’m not sure how Jason and Andrew are going to balance sustainability and being competitive in the future. I sometimes wonder if the promotion and the cup run have created an unrealistic sense of expectation.

If anyone can then I'm sure with their experience and business acumen then they can.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 109
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 24, 2024, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not sure hoping to be pushing for a L2 playoff place should be considered an unrealistic expectation!!

We aren’t the wealthiest club by any means but many clubs with smaller crowds and less money have achieved promotion or a regular top half finish. Christ Fatty Evan’s took basket case Stevenage from relegation, avoided on technicality, to promotion almost instantly.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 109
Mappers
January 24, 2024, 8:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It will be impossible if they want to go anywhere over lower mid table in League 1 you would have thought . As you see with Lincoln, Bristol rovers etc you lose 2 to 3 million quid just to be higher to mid table .

People point at Luton but they made big losses to get to the Prem , even Rotherham who are as close to a yo yo club you can get between Champ & League 1 make big losses .

If relegation fodder in league 1 or average league 2 club is the ambition then it might be possible to 'keep it sustainable ' Artell did it at Crewe tbf with trading quality younger players  , Cheltenham & Burton seem prudent and manage to stay in league 1 .

I think the future will be brighter but whether thats in line with somes expectation (maybe even Stockwoods of 'going right through ' as he puts it ) i'm not sure - I would be happy with a few years top 10 in league 2 while trying to sort the infrastructure out , I'm not sure many would be happy with that but who knows .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 109
kevikov
January 24, 2024, 10:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think the promotion and cup run didn’t create an unrealistic sense of expectation, quite the opposite, I think they emphasised just what can be achieved with the right formula.

That promotion season was mental, those last few games! Then a quarter final in the fa cup next season. But what I find so hard to process is, just how wrong it all went this year. Quite literally the opposite to a standard hurst team.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 109
ginnywings
January 24, 2024, 10:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from kevikov

I think the promotion and cup run didn’t create an unrealistic sense of expectation, quite the opposite, I think they emphasised just what can be achieved with the right formula.

That promotion season was mental, those last few games! Then a quarter final in the fa cup next season. But what I find so hard to process is, just how wrong it all went this year. Quite literally the opposite to a standard hurst team.

I think the club wanted a style of football that he couldn't produce. He tried and failed, and I think it's as simple as that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.