11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
January 25, 2024, 5:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
It was a dreadful time to try to rebuild a squad. Hard enough attracting players to a League 2 relegation battle without the backdrop of another COVID lockdown and all the challenges that will have brought with trying to persuade players to relocate.

Not sure why the need for the conversation anyway. Maybe we'd have stayed up if they'd sacked him or appointed someone else. Almost certain we wouldn't have had the play off campaign of the following season or the FA Cup run of the last. If you didn't like him them fine and he's gone. But would you really want to change the last three years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 109
Son of Cod
January 25, 2024, 5:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner

That's a really good point.  I think people underestimate how much of a repair job was needed at the time.  I'm sorry but the argument about where we sat in the table when Holloway left doesn't wash with him.  We were rotten to the core and getting worse by the week.  

Hurst, without shadow of doubt, improved that spine.  The four of Menayese, Matete, Coke and Lenny were significant improvements on what we had.  Where Hurst failed was that he didn't really improve anything beyond the spine.  We were still pretty excrement out wide and whilst Lenny did Lenny stuff up top, we weren't very threatening for a long, long time.  

He also, arguably, took too long in making us solid.  There was a crucial few weeks when we looked ready to have a go at teams and try and win games, but he was too focused on avoiding defeats.  The win over Crawley should have been the springboard to really get more wins on the board, but we went to Harrogate four days later and put in one of the most negative displays I've ever seen.  We had to wait exactly another month for the second win under him and even with a little flurry at the end it was too much too late.  

8 games undefeated in the midst of trying to get out of the relegation places, that should be something to be inspired by.  But in reality we only picked 10 points.  At a time when points were crucial.  10 points adrift when we started that undefeated run, yet it only reduced the gap to 7 points when it ended.

The likes of Habergham are always brought up as bad signings.  He literally was out there with his begging bowl trying to get anyone in who would play for 4p and a banana.  Fair enough, he gambled on Payne but that was all he had - a single roll of the dice. Coke and LJL hadn't played for ages because of the NLN closing down, the loan lads had limited game time, the free agents had barely seen the grass in god knows how long.  Those that were here when he arrived were unfit.  The final two months of the season were frantic.  Tuesday-Saturday every week with even a Tues-Thurs-Sat thrown in there.  Our ragtag lot couldn't handle it.  

Could he have done things different?  Definitely.  Could he have done better?  Probably (always room for improvement).  Did he make mistakes? Of course.

But the blame doesn't lie at his feet, the damage was done. He just couldn't do the repair job in time.

Spot on, agree with all of that.

Quoted from arryarryarry

Your quote about improving in February doesn't match the facts I quoted so is it your memory failing?

Our points per game in February was better than it was in December and January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 109
arryarryarry
January 25, 2024, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Spot on, agree with all of that.

Our points per game in February was better than it was in December and January.

FFS how far do you want to drill it down.

Holloway's last game in charge we lost so no points. Hurst's last game of the season we lost so no points, therefore no better.

intercourse knows why some cannot accept the very simple fact that Hurst was in charge for more games than Holloway but was no better than Holloway in fact points per game were slightly less.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 109
Hagrid
January 25, 2024, 7:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,435
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from arryarryarry

Holloway's last game in charge we lost so no points. Hurst's last game of the season we lost so no points, therefore no better.

intercourse knows why some cannot accept the very simple fact that Hurst was in charge for more games than Holloway but was no better than Holloway in fact points per game were slightly less.

Because we have eyes and opinions

intercourse knows” why you cant accept it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 109
Northbank Mariner
January 25, 2024, 7:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,489
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from arryarryarry

But what you fail to mention is momentum....which was spiralling downwards when Holloway did a runner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 109
Kris2
January 25, 2024, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
It was a dreadful time to try to rebuild a squad. Hard enough attracting players to a League 2 relegation battle without the backdrop of another COVID lockdown and all the challenges that will have brought with trying to persuade players to relocate.

Not sure why the need for the conversation anyway. Maybe we'd have stayed up if they'd sacked him or appointed someone else. Almost certain we wouldn't have had the play off campaign of the following season or the FA Cup run of the last. If you didn't like him them fine and he's gone. But would you really want to change the last three years?

The main problem with recruitment seems to be they expected the season to be cancelled so they did it as cheap as possible.  

Few young non-league players to develop and the cheapest disposable players possible they could get rid of once a season started but there was no real excuse for the January window having so many flops.

Either way some people will endlessly rake Hurst over the coals no matter what like they have some need to whine about him even when he's gone again. I wish I had the time or energy to endlessly pour through stats to try to prove a point like the Hurst hate brigade does.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 109
Yoda
January 26, 2024, 9:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,144
Gold Stars: 71
Paul left Shrewsbury under a cloud i seem to remember he cleared his desk and left for Ipswich.
A lot of the Shrewsbury fans where livid,if he has a poor start he could be in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 109
crusty ole pie
January 27, 2024, 1:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,352
Gold Stars: 66
If he gets them  to KEEP US SHAPE he will be fine
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 109
Mighty_Mariner
January 27, 2024, 4:38am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from It Bites
If he’s got money you can kiss goodbye to Danny rose

I recall location being a big factor for Danny leaving L1 Stevenage to drop down to us in that he wanted to be closer to his home town (Barnsley). So for that reason alone I’d say a move to Shrewsbury, with its 2 1/2 hr commute, is unlikely (god I hope so)!!!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 109
Mighty_Mariner
January 27, 2024, 5:14am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Son of Cod

I went through my bank statement after the season was over and counted how many tenners I'd spent watching the whole fiasco so can confirm I watched something like 40 matches.

You point to Habergham as Hurst's worst signing but he wouldn't even have been in the worst five Holloway signings that season. Hurst signed our best player that season in Matete and shored up defence, midfield and attack with experienced/decent players in Menayese, Coke and Lenny. It was a decent window all things considered. The window before was a complete and utter shitshow. This is all before we even get onto the fact that Holloway allowed Vernam to walk away from the club despite us having an option on another year.

Holloway: Bilel Mohsni, Ir Jackson Jr, Montel Gibson, George Williams, Alhagi Touray Sissay, Danny Rose, Felipe Morais, Sean Scannell, Luke Spokes, Danny Preston, Owura Edwards, Terry Taylor, James Morton, Kyle Bennett, Owen Windsor, Virgil Gomis

Hurst: Sam Habergham, Stefan Payne, Joe Bunney, Lennell John-Lewis, Julien Lamy, Giles Coke, Rollin Menayese, Jay Matete, Idris El Mizouni, Joe Adams, Jake Eastwood

If it was left down to Hursty, we wouldn’t have had Conteh for a start. Besides, I thought Paul had the final say on all signings - players were suggested to him by the recruitment guy and Paul/ Chris find the yay or nay! I could be completely wrong of course but I just can’t see Paul working in that way/system 🤷‍♂️

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.