11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
January 23, 2024, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,407
Gold Stars: 534
guy took us to our first FA Cup Quarter final in almost 90 years, a feat none of of will ever see replicated again, He's got us our only 2 promotions in 25 years, comfortably top 5 managers. Most successful one I have seen us have.

Dam me father for not taking me in 1998 and leaving me at home with the grandparents
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 109
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 23, 2024, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from cannylad65
How can Hurst have steadied the ship, when he got the team relegated?

And he is not in the top 5 most successful managers at GY Town either.

He followed in the footsteps of the circus that was Holloway and got relegated. I’ll give you that, but I don’t think I’d necessarily blame hurst for it. Unless am mistaken, I don’t think there was another one.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 109
cannylad65
January 23, 2024, 10:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
Isn't one sufficient?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 109
Quagmire
January 23, 2024, 10:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

He followed in the footsteps of the circus that was Holloway and got relegated.

Jolley came into a far worse situation than Hurst and kept us up, but doesn't seem to get any credit for that.

Hurst came in when we were outside the relegation zone, brought a load of his own players in and got us relegated, yet it was somehow all Holloways fault
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 109
DB
January 23, 2024, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
I wish him well. Promotion out of the NL and a good FA cup run.

OK we were relegated under his management but that was in the Days of Fenty, at a time when we were told there was ample money to spend, but no cheques were signed. He had to get loans or freebies.

Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 109
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Quagmire

Jolley came into a far worse situation than Hurst and kept us up, but doesn't seem to get any credit for that.

Hurst came in when we were outside the relegation zone, brought a load of his own players in and got us relegated, yet it was somehow all Holloways fault

Speaking of Michael Jolley I had reason to be going around Downing College Cambridge University recently and noticed a board headed famous alumni. The first name my eyes landed on was Michael Jolley Football Manager. Equal prominence with others such as Sir David Attenborough Naturalist and John Cleese Comedian etc
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 109
Mayaman
January 23, 2024, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
The most recent promotion was done on a tight budget with a lot of big spenders in the league.  Hurst fostered a massive team spirit, which earned us the nickname, "The Comeback Kings".  Watching those games when we went behind, I had faith we would prevail.   If he'd failed, we could be still stuck down there. Good luck to the fella;
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 109
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2024, 11:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,929
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from cannylad65
Allenby Chilton

Tim Ward

Lawrie McMenemy

Lawrie I get, the other 2 clearly achieved success but as I’m only 57 other than reading the history books I can’t tell you how they achieved it, their style of football could have been pragmatic & boring and god forbid one of them might have cupped their ear after one of their several Wembley finals.

You could argue to your blue in the face in who’s sits behind Alan Buckley in our best all time managers.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 109
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2024, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,929
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Quagmire

Did he though?

I’d argue Jolley’s squad wasn’t great but the one Holloway left behind was really poor.

Jolley did well that season without a doubt, he did have the benefit of support behind him at games which due to Covid Hurst didn’t have.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 109
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 12:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Did he though?

I’d argue Jolley’s squad wasn’t great but the one Holloway left behind was really poor.

Jolley did well that season without a doubt, he did have the benefit of support behind him at games which due to Covid Hurst didn’t have.

Jolley didn’t come in until March after a 20 plus game no win run that was far worse then anything under Holloway . He turned it round in the last 5 games of the season where admittedly we had some fortuitous penalties after he got Jamille Matt and JJ Hooper performing having been dire under Slade.
Hurst had half a seasin  to turn it round from a more favourable position and had the benefit of bringing in numerous new players in January which Jolley wasn’t able to do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.