arryarryarry
January 24, 2024, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Correct. The Holloway team was absolutely woeful. A load of 20 year olds on loan from Championship clubs in midfield and Montel Gibson up front with George Williams and Virgil Gomis. Our form from Feb onwards once Hurst's side had clicked was midtable. How anyone could have watched most matches that season and conclude that Hurst was more to blame than Holloway is baffling.

Well you obviously didn't watch many matches because up to the end of February from when Hurst took over we played  10 games winning 1 and drawing the other. At the end of February we played one of the worst performances of the season losing at Harrogate and after that game I came on here stating that Hurst would take us down and calling for him to be sacked.

He signed some excrement and a player who probably turned up at the ground on crutches, Habergham.

However you try to mask what happened, he performed worse than Holloway in gaining points per game.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 109
HerveJosse
January 24, 2024, 4:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Hypothetical question .

When we went down last time when Hust replaced Holloway in December inheriting an iffy squad most opinion remains it was Holloway’s fault.

Fast forward to 23/24 Manager leaves November leaving dodgy signings particularly goalkeeper and defence behind .

Similar League position at time of change.

If god forbid  we did go down this time for consistency would it be Hursts fault ? Or Artells?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 109
Maringer
January 24, 2024, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
Difficult to say.

When Hurst came in during that relegation season, I thought he would lift us out of the mire as there was no doubt that the team was an absolute shambles at the time but I expected he would be able to do enough with them. However, we were only a few points above the relegation spots and both teams below us had games in hand.

Unfortunately, I think he gambled on signing Payne to fire us out of trouble and he turned out to be simply useless, not just in the goalscoring stakes, but not looking like he gave a crap. Another LJL-alike in the team instead of Payne and I reckon the extra hustle and bustle would have been enough to keep us up. I don't blame Hurst entirely, but thought he probably ought to have been able to keep us up.

Artell has come in and taken over a squad lacking in confidence yet still with a few good players in there, even if others are badly out of form or well past their best and also with a bit more breathing room in terms of the table. Not to mention better ownership. Given the position in which we currently find ourselves, I think it would have to be considered his failure if he didn't keep us up this time. If we can stop shipping so many stupid goals, we ought to be fine, but time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 109
LH
January 24, 2024, 5:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,535
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from HerveJosse
Hypothetical question .

When we went down last time when Hust replaced Holloway in December inheriting an iffy squad most opinion remains it was Holloway’s fault.

Fast forward to 23/24 Manager leaves November leaving dodgy signings particularly goalkeeper and defence behind .

Similar League position at time of change.

If god forbid  we did go down this time for consistency would it be Hursts fault ? Or Artells?

Fenty’s. For leaving us with a derelict ground which meant vast sums of Cup money that could have put us on an extraordinary upward trajectory on the pitch actually meant we had to use the money to make the ground fit for purpose.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 109
MuddyWaters
January 24, 2024, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from LH

Fenty’s. For leaving us with a derelict ground which meant vast sums of Cup money that could have put us on an extraordinary upward trajectory on the pitch actually meant we had to use the money to make the ground fit for purpose.

I’m no Fenty apologist but there has to come a time when we stop harking back to the past. Yes, he left us deep in the excrement but we’ve had a successful promotion, a lucrative cup run and substantial season ticket sales since he left.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 109
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 24, 2024, 5:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m no Fenty apologist but there has to come a time when we stop harking back to the past. Yes, he left us deep in the excrement but we’ve had a successful promotion, a lucrative cup run and substantial season ticket sales since he left.

My palace mates still slag off Ron noades and that was 20 or so years ago. So if that’s anything to go by then I’d say it’ll linger in the memories for a long time yet

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 109
Meza
January 24, 2024, 6:08pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
Did we ever get that new manager bounce when PH came back?  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 109
darren9
January 24, 2024, 6:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fenty continually ‘harked back to the past’ he continually blamed itv digital for most of what went wrong. The Fenty era is still recent past and a successful promotion, lucrative cup run and substantial season ticket sales I’d imagine doesn’t even come close to putting us to where we would be if there had been investment beyond merely papering over the cracks.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 109
rancido
January 24, 2024, 6:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But the point is that a decision taken today can have repercussions many years later. Who would have thought , at the time, that the UK declaring war on Germany over it's invasion of Poland would change the political climate of Europe to date with it's effects still being felt today, especially in the Balkans.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 109
Mappers
January 24, 2024, 6:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I  can't just forgive & forget , not sure about others .

He has left us handicapped for decades

I would probably let go my dislike of him , his crew and the total mess he made of us  if we got a new ground , but  I will probably be brown bread by the time that (if ever) happens. .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.