January 23, 2024, 5:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Wow, I didn’t know that, typical Town rollercoaster moment I guess

It's also worth noting that if two teams points were the same then their league position was determined by goal average. This involved dividing the total number of goals scored by the total number conceded. In fact town were relegated from Division 2 in 1963/64 by 0.045 of a goal as calculated by this system.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 109
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Back in the 1950s, PNE missed out on winning the league title one season by something like a tenth of a goal when average was calculated.

That's a thought. I know it is almost impossible to but how would the title be awarded in the modern era if two teams finished with identical records, including goals scored and conceded and an identical head to head record? Most money in the bank?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 109
Captain Sensible
January 23, 2024, 7:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Maringer
Back in the 1950s, PNE missed out on winning the league title one season by something like a tenth of a goal when average was calculated.

That's a thought. I know it is almost impossible to but how would the title be awarded in the modern era if two teams finished with identical records, including goals scored and conceded and an identical head to head record? Most money in the bank?

I think it goes next to the team's disciplinary records.

If all else fails, it finishes with drawing of lots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 109
arryarryarry
January 23, 2024, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So top 5

Buckley
Kerr
Newman

Who else?

Dave Booth who took us to our highest position in the Football League since 1948 and at one point with a few weeks of the season remaining to dreaming of playing in Division 1 what is now the Premiership.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 109
RichMariner
January 23, 2024, 10:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
I was always pro-Hurst but I don't mind admitting that he had enough games to keep us up in L2 when he first took over. I think if you asked him directly he'd shoulder some of that blame.

I also think JS & AP acted at the right time to sack him. We failed to rack up the points earlier in the season when we were playing well, then we went to pieces in a way that I'd never seen under Hurst before. That Tuesday night Colchester game in particular was very un-Hurst-like.

Who knows whether we'd have stayed up under Holloway. It's easy to forget now, but it was looking and feeling very ominous leading into that period where firstly he said he was going nowhere, then he did one just a few days later.

Maybe his close relationship with Fenty skewed our opinion of him? Having said that, his appointment was about as universally approved as you could reasonably expect from a fan base that rarely agrees on anything!

I just didn't like the look or feel of the squad Holloway put together when he, Fenty and Day all thought the season would get curtailed. We signed a load of rubbish, let's be honest. Holloway did well to not be bottom with that lot. But we were disorganised. We had a load of players on not a lot of money, then he plays a 15-year-old kid in a trophy game. Nice bit of history but on a practical level it was totally unnecessary.

Holloway's methods were as bizarre as the man himself. They're embraced when things go well, but you just sensed at the time that all wasn't well. The squad didn't look united at all.

Anyway, it's always darkest before the dawn, and all that stuff. All this only made what followed feel even more spectacular!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 54 - 109
dicko995
January 23, 2024, 11:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Hursty and Doigy back in employment, at Shrewsbury. Shrews fans divided with him being back, good luck to him, hope he does well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 109
promotion plaice
January 24, 2024, 4:44am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 200

Hurst might be playing us next season with a bit of luck, for us not them.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 109
Hagrid
January 24, 2024, 12:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Now confirmed

Good Luck PH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 109
Mappers
January 24, 2024, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Tweet 1750126047662841910 will appear here...

Done good luck to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 109
Poojah
January 24, 2024, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Honestly? My feelings are mixed about this.

It’s like jacking in your long-term girlfriend. Lots of great memories, but it just wasn't quite working out. You split on amicable terms, but then a couple of months later, you see her out with someone else. You’re pleased for her, but part of you still wishes you were still together.

Am I the only one? There’s no denying that the dying embers of the Hurst MkII reign were excruciating to watch, but boy, the good times were good, weren’t they?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.