11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Ashby mariner
January 23, 2024, 12:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Pleased for him. Hope he does a good job there. The best manager I've seen at BP in my lifetime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 109
marinerjase
January 23, 2024, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
And what has Jolley achieved since?? Comparing Jolley to Hurst is like comparing Troy Deeney to Liam McKenna. (Yes that’s an o.t.t comparison but you know what I mean..)

A lot seem to enjoying knocking Hurst since he’s left. Each to their own and all that..don’t see the need myself. And anyone lasting 6 years or so under Fenty deserves respect.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 109
RichMariner
January 23, 2024, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
It's really difficult to try and compare managers from our long history on a like-for-like basis. There are way too many variables, not to mention the varying state of the sport itself, and outside cultural factors.

We've had some really good managers down the years. Some brought success in the shape of promotions, others in the shape of survival or cup runs.

I think we can generally say that Buckley and Hurst have been two of our best managers in recent times.

I know it's not trendy to say, but I also thought our spell under Laws was very good. He was left a good squad and initially improved it. At the peak of Ivano-mania, teams couldn't live with us. I honestly thought we'd improved on what Buckley left.

However, it all unravelled and he's just another name in a list that ultimately didn't deliver and got sacked.

It's also a massively subjective topic, depending on when you grew up, what type of football you grew up watching, etc.

Hurst brought in some very good players — a top pro like Pearson, one of our best modern midfielders in Disley, some very good full backs like Danny Andrew and Carl Magnay who won POTY awards, plus a record-breaking goalkeeper in McKeown.

Let's not forget some of the strikers we had, like Hearn, Podge, Bogle, Hannah, etc. He also identified others who went on to have decent careers elsewhere (and come back to score against us).

On reflection, that FA Cup run apart, it did seem he went dry and ran out of ideas. But we very rarely rolled over for anyone under Hurst. True hammerings were few and far between.

I hope he does well at Shrewsbury if he goes, because he's a decent bloke and a good manager.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 109
Mayaman
January 23, 2024, 1:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
This thread prompted me to watch "All Town Aren't We".  It is actually much better than I had thought.  I imagined that only Grimsby fans would really watch it.  If it was split into episodes, it would be a great watch for any real football fan.  It has a nice balance between on field action, talking heads and clips from around the grounds. What a bunch of players we had then. Nice to watch Fox, McAtee, Scanz, Taylor, JMD and Mani to mention a few. And, Cropper's throw was immense.  It was good to listen to people from around the club and cameo's from Ryan and Rob at Wrexham.  How much would a film director have to pay for that in Hollywood? It brought it all back to me In other news there must be bad pollution here in HCMC because my eyes are watering. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 109
Son of Cod
January 23, 2024, 1:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
You can split Town fans into two categories. Those who blame Hurst for getting us relegated in 20/21 and those who actually bothered to watch our matches that season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 109
barralad
January 23, 2024, 2:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Lawrie I get, the other 2 clearly achieved success but as I’m only 57 other than reading the history books I can’t tell you how they achieved it, their style of football could have been pragmatic & boring and god forbid one of them might have cupped their ear after one of their several Wembley finals.

You could argue to your blue in the face in who’s sits behind Alan Buckley in our best all time managers.

There won't be many on here who do remember Allenby Chilton but to take a team from re-election to the Division 3 (North) championship in 12 months must give him a shout in the all-time great manager stakes.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 109
Simon
January 23, 2024, 2:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Son of Cod
You can split Town fans into two categories. Those who blame Hurst for getting us relegated in 20/21 and those who actually bothered to watch our matches that season.

We wouldn't have gone down under Ian Holloway, agree we were very poor but at no point did i think we would go down that season until Hurst arrived and we just went into freefall

The season after 21/22 we were equally shite but got lucky in the playoffs, because we got promoted people forget how dire we were from memory we finished sixth on 78ish points, fifteen points or so behind stockport who won the league.

So yeah i watched that season and the one after without the rose tinted glasses

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 109
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2024, 2:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

There won't be many on here who do remember Allenby Chilton but to take a team from re-election to the Division 3 (North) championship in 12 months must give him a shout in the all-time great manager stakes.

I seem to think he was player manager too, good shout.

Though plenty of organisations operated in that way in those days it's hard to believe you had to get elected or re-elected to be part of the Football League, I bet there was some real dark arts going on then with the clubs involved.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 109
paulmblythe
January 23, 2024, 2:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Son of Cod

The ones who blame him for our relegation donbt understand momentum. we may have been above the relegation places when he arrived but we where dropping like a stone. It was a while before he  was able to bring players in who needed time to gel/get fit. By the end our form was actually good, but it was too late. if wed started the season with hursts squad i doubt wed have been relegated, the damage was already done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 109
Captain Sensible
January 23, 2024, 2:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Simon

We wouldn't have gone down under Ian Holloway, agree we were very poor but at no point did i think we would go down that season until Hurst arrived and we just went into freefall

The season after 21/22 we were equally shite but got lucky in the playoffs, because we got promoted people forget how dire we were from memory we finished sixth on 78ish points, fifteen points or so behind stockport who won the league.

So yeah i watched that season and the one after without the rose tinted glasses

I wish we were dire enough to get 78 points this season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › PAUL HURST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.