Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Kamil Conteh

This thread currently has 84,221 views. Print
60 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
January 17, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Ugh, I hate saying this but I think we're probably a bit snookered here.

When we signed Conteh it was pretty obvious that the intent was we would be a stepping stone, but that works for both parties and very much part of that continuous improvement approach.  We benefit from him playing for us, he gets experience and exposure. When it comes to selling we can then reinvest whatever transfer fee we get for him into something (hopefully) better.  Repeat until we win the Champions League...

But getting him here in the first place was as much of a coup as it was unexpected.  No doubt we will have had to have made significant compromises.  Firstly to 'Boro - return clause and hefty sell-on fee.  Secondly to the player himself, otherwise he probably wasn't signing for us, that will have come in the relatively low release fee.  That enables him to impress and move on quite quickly, limited time wasted slumming in League Two with us...

That's the matter of the situation.  We can't get away from it and we agreed to it.  

I've absolutely no idea on what that release fee looks like but I don't think we're in a position to be demanding mega money.   For some context, here's a player who has played less than 2000 minutes in the fourth tier of English football.  Yes he's got potential but he's not a baby either, he's just turned 21.  Equally so when he's impressed he's looked the absolute business, but he's also looked anonymous at times too.

Different type of midfielders but to give some comparison for a similar aged midfielders in the lower leagues.  Jack Rudoni left AFC Wimbledon 18 months ago after two seasons as a mainstay in a League One side.  His final season, one he bagged 12  goals from midfield, that's in a side that got relegated too.  No transfer fee was ever disclosed but it was rumoured to be around £800,000.  Rudoni had just turned 21.

Joe Randall - nearly 22 when he joined Peterborough from Exeter for 'at least £1million' according to Darragh McAnthony.  That was on the back of 8 goals in 30 games in League Two though.

As stated, that's comparing attacking midfielders to Conteh but generally the further up the pitch you go the higher the price anyway.  Exeter did sell Ethan Ampadu to Chelsea in 2018 for £1,3million, but that was for a 16-year-old with 8 League Two games under his belt, arguably an awful lot more scope for development than a 21-year-old.

I don't think we've seen the best of Conteh yet.  I think the lad has ridiculous levels of ability and potential, but I'm also not convinced any sale of him is going to be a mega windfall.  Our best hope of really cashing in will be on the long term and him progressing from somewhere like Bristol Rovers to the next level.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 598
LocalLadGTFC
January 17, 2024, 2:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mikey_345

Think we’re looking at about a third of that to be fair. Key is wether we can have a sell on fee.

It's rumoured that we paid 200'000, I don't see any world in which we don't sell for at least double that especially the fact that it's public knowledge that there's a sell on for Boro. We'd be making a loss if we sell for 250.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 598
diehardmariner
January 17, 2024, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Sell-on clauses are usually profit related wherever you sit in the chain.

'Boro would get 50%, just throwing that out there, of any profit we make.  In your scenario, £25k for them which won't even touch the sides.  I'd genuinely be gutted if we ended up initially making £25k on him.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 598
Bristol Mariner
January 17, 2024, 2:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Its shite here, Rovers purpose built training ground is near me and set in lovely Green Gloucestershire countryside, he'll hate it.  

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 598
jamesgtfc
January 17, 2024, 2:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

It's rumoured that we paid 200'000, I don't see any world in which we don't sell for at least double that especially the fact that it's public knowledge that there's a sell on for Boro. We'd be making a loss if we sell for 250.

Sell on clauses are often only based on the gross profit. Let's see how it pans out, Conteh seems to have his head screwed on and might want to get some more games under his belt before he thinks about the next step. If he performs well between now and the summer, better offers are likely to come his way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 598
Mikey_345
January 17, 2024, 2:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

250 is the figure I’ve heard a few times. I don’t pretend to know first hand though and I could be completely wrong but I’m comfortable enough with it.

Not sure we paid that much for him but as others have said the devils in the detail as always with contracts as it can be very intricate. Is it profit or total price, 250 above what we paid and/or is our earning potential more tied in to potential sell on fees as opposed to out and out fee - this level it’s generally the former. There is a hundred other conditions or nuances that could be included in any clause.

Let's see how it plays out - windows are never boring are they!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 598
Posh Harry
January 17, 2024, 2:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

1. Do you really think we paid £200k for a player last summer? 2. Do you really think we paid £200k for a player with a buy out clause for £250k? 3. REALLY?.

I think Santa clause is more realistic clause than that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 598
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2024, 3:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Alan Buckley

Hurst even admitted to Matt Dean in an interview that Middlesbrough had a sell on clause in his contract as part of the deal.

Yeah that's probably no surprise to anyone.

As you're clearly ITK can you tell us all what trigger's the release clause? I'm sure it won't just be as weak as L1 club asks the question.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 598
Blundellite
January 17, 2024, 3:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Maybe the release clause only applied to Middlesbrough? Tbh he isn't that great anyway been struggling to get in a team lately on the verge of disaster. I'd take the money and rebuild with it
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 598
Alan Buckley
January 17, 2024, 3:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Approval: -256
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah that's probably no surprise to anyone.

As you're clearly ITK can you tell us all what trigger's the release clause? I'm sure it won't just be as weak as L1 club asks the question.

A club has to offer the full release clause in full upfront and then we are obliged to accept the offer. Obviously conteh could still reject that club but we couldn’t stop him talking to them if they meet the release clause.

Also it would be beneficial for us that he did make a small step up first before a big club take a punt on him that way we are more likely to receive a substantial sell on fee from his next club rather than a big club coming in for him now and then him not making a second step up rendering our sell on clause redundant if that makes sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 598
60 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.