Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Kamil Conteh

This thread currently has 84,672 views. Print
60 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
It's all about Risk v Reward. There is no way that the release clause will be a fraction over what we paid for him. Case in point is Alex Hunt. We paid a fee for him and at the moment, it looks like he will leave the club for less than we paid or nothing between now and the end of his contract. A lot can change between now and the end of next season, but he's not establishing himself in our team.

Essentially what I'm saying is that there is no guarantee of any signing being a success and sold on for profit, so those that are successful need to generate a fee that covers those that aren't, and any sell-on clause will likely reflect that risk v reward. Obviously, it would cap our earning potential somewhat and it may have been something that made him choose us over another club, but deals have to work for both parties and I can't see how a sell-on clause a fraction above what we paid would work for us.

Whatever the clause is, if there even is one, I hope it insists on a sell-on clause because that is where the real earnings potential with Conteh sits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 598
toontown
January 19, 2024, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Id be beyond amazed if we paid 200k like some are suggesting for a defensive midfielder who'd played 1 season in non league. Think we paid about 55k for Bogle didn't we who was a hot striker from the division below were conteh was playing.

If 200k is involved at all it's probably what we are required to pay if he reaches targets in terms of appearances, promotion and length of stay in order to reward Boro and protect them if he just saw out his 3 years with us and so didn't net them any sell on fee.

If we paid a more realistic up front sum, 50k or 75k then a release clause of 250k (and a sell on percentage) seems more plausible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 598
always grimsby
January 19, 2024, 8:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
When we signed him the initial fee was £50 grand I was told before any add ons appearances promotions etc
Which is probably a decent fee from what he has achieved in his career up to then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 598
GtfcGarner
January 20, 2024, 4:26am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
It’s a win win scenario with our business in the future with stuff like this. I’d love if we could follow a similar mould to Exter/Crewe even Peterborough in the right capacity. Where we developing our own youngsters or bringing them in from leagues below try and develop them as much as we can and sell for a profit.

It only takes Kami to get a move to the Championship, play week in week out and have one fantastic season for a Prem team to pump 10-15m for him if he’s good enough. It’s the gems that everyone are looking for and there isn’t many. Recent memory only suggests the likes of Ollie Watkins, Jamie Vardy, Nick Powell going on to play in the Premiership after moves from L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 598
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 7:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GtfcGarner
It’s a win win scenario with our business in the future with stuff like this. I’d love if we could follow a similar mould to Exter/Crewe even Peterborough in the right capacity. Where we developing our own youngsters or bringing them in from leagues below try and develop them as much as we can and sell for a profit.

It only takes Kami to get a move to the Championship, play week in week out and have one fantastic season for a Prem team to pump 10-15m for him if he’s good enough. It’s the gems that everyone are looking for and there isn’t many. Recent memory only suggests the likes of Ollie Watkins, Jamie Vardy, Nick Powell going on to play in the Premiership after moves from L2.

Then there is reality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 598
rancido
January 20, 2024, 8:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Now don't get me wrong because I think he is a good player and a great prospect for the future. But if he has that kind of potential then why did Middlesbrough sell him in the first place? I can't imagine that they needed the money and seeing as they are a strong Championship club with realistic aspirations for Premiersh*t football I would have thought that they would have carried on his development to their own advantage.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 598
Marinerdan
January 20, 2024, 9:09am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from rancido

Now don't get me wrong because I think he is a good player and a great prospect for the future. But if he has that kind of potential then why did Middlesbrough sell him in the first place? I can't imagine that they needed the money and seeing as they are a strong Championship club with realistic aspirations for Premiersh*t football I would have thought that they would have carried on his development to their own advantage.

Rumour is there is a buy-back clause which suggests they think he has potential.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 598
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2024, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
I guess the interest (if it actually exists) confirms that the adopted strategy of spotting & developing talent to then sell on for a net gain has started to work.

As long as any profit is reinvested which I’m 100% confident it will be I’m completely cool with a player moving on if it’s right for the club and doesn’t leave the squad missing something essential.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 598
GtfcGarner
January 20, 2024, 9:52am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from rancido

The same as anything isn't it? A lot of players have a great ceiling of potential but how many of them ever reach it?  
I'm sure Boro are gunning for the play-offs in the Championship this year. Maybe a loan would of been more viable for them in hindsight but was he ever going to be given the chance by Carrick. Some players have to move down a few leagues to be noticed.

Regardless of how far he goes I think the lad will have a career at least one level above this for the majoirty of his playing days and I hope he goes on to play at the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 598
LocalLadGTFC
January 20, 2024, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,321
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from rancido

Big difference between having the potential and realising it, Ravel Morrison for example. 99% of the players at these clubs are very good footballers but the % of players that actually go on to have good careers is very slim. Kam wanted first team football and Boro were happy to let him go and get it which is a credit to them because most clubs would probably have had him sat on the bench for most the season as they've been ruined by injuries this season. Not forgetting Kam was also released by Watford, Boro picked him up on a free and they've sold him on for a profit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 129 - 598
60 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.