9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 26, 2023, 3:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
It's not very often I'm embarrassed to be a Town fan but we were handed our collective ar&es on a plate today. We struggled to do the basics. We couldn't pass the ball which is an absolute pre requisite for playing the type of game Artell appears to want. There was a bit more movement especially in the first half when we did put together a couple of very good moves.
The first goal took a deflection but came about because we lost the ball. The second goal happened because we allowed their lad to run...and run.
Second half was damage limitation with some of the players body language suggesting-far too early-they knew they were beaten. We appear to have picked up injuries- not ideal at this time of year.
Man of the Match by a country mile Harvey Cartwright who without much help from those in front of him made at least EIGHT greaat saves/blocks.
Of the outfield players only Green (in patches) and the irrepressible Danny Rose came out with much credit.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GibMariner
December 26, 2023, 3:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Good summary.

Long second half season
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 87
It Bites
December 26, 2023, 3:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
You’re right it was embarrassing. I’m talking Bignot Ball embarrassing. To be destroyed like that by a team in the same league is not on . We looked like a non league team who train twice a week . The Artell bounce has gone , we have no money and 7/8 players who are no where near good enough to compete at mid table in this league . Yeah I know Fenty and Hurst have played their parts but as it’s been pointed out too me , we need to move on . I’m afraid JS&AP are failing on the football side as much as Fenty . I said Football Side only
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 87
December 26, 2023, 3:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from It Bites
You’re right it was embarrassing. I’m talking Bignot Ball embarrassing. To be destroyed like that by a team in the same league is not on . We looked like a non league team who train twice a week . The Artell bounce has gone , we have no money and 7/8 players who are no where near good enough to compete at mid table in this league . Yeah I know Fenty and Hurst have played their parts but as it’s been pointed out too me , we need to move on . I’m afraid JS&AP are failing on the football side as much as Fenty . I said Football Side only

You do realise that when the new owners bought the club they said the footballing side would be left 100% to the Manager/Head Coach?

Reply: 3 - 87
Zmariner
December 26, 2023, 3:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
As bad as the Harrogate performance against a much better team. Worst defence in years , it was embarrassing and 6 would not have flattered them. Huge respect to the travelling fans as this was a game we would always lose. I did not expect us to be this pathetic and gutless though. Artell needs to be a bit more pragmatic, that said when you looked at our bench, Hurst as a lot to answer for. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 87
LocalLadGTFC
December 26, 2023, 3:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
Bring back Hewitt and Menayese
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 87
Plankton
December 26, 2023, 3:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
I'm so disappointed that the new owners, the promotion, the FA cup run, hasn't all combined into something to kick us on to becoming a club to be proud of. It's quite frankly embarrassing, the ground is a state, the players are the worst we've had in recent times and the vibe is extremely negative at the games. 1200 away fans there today and this is what was served up, appalling.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 87
It Bites
December 26, 2023, 3:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You do realise that when the new owners bought the club they said the footballing side would be left 100% to the Manager/Head Coach?

I heard that . I also heard them wanting to see the team play a certain way ?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 87
friskneymariner
December 26, 2023, 3:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Agree that we have 7/8 players who are not good enough,it really shows how poor our recruitment was in the summer.Owners need to step up,but doubt they will,with the appointment of Artell think they appointed in their own like,bad move in management terms as it invariably results in group think.
He may be confident we won't be relegated,but I am not ,and if we escape it will only be because there are two teams worse than us.This transfer window  is crucial in the history of town.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 87
Yoda
December 26, 2023, 3:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
DA will be full on David Brent in his post match interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 87
December 26, 2023, 3:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from It Bites

I heard that . I also heard them wanting to see the team play a certain way ?

Yes, they said that before they signed DA, they wanted a manager that played that style.  They got him, and now they have left it up to him to do the job.

Reply: 10 - 87
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from friskneymariner
Agree that we have 7/8 players who are not good enough,it really shows how poor our recruitment was in the summer.Owners need to step up,but doubt they will,with the appointment of Artell think they appointed in their own like,bad move in management terms as it invariably results in group think.
He may be confident we won't be relegated,but I am not ,and if we escape it will only be because there are two teams worse than us.This transfer window  is crucial in the history of town.

Can you please tell me who the two teams worse than us are? Of the teams around us, we have failed to beat Sutton, FGR, Tranmere, Doncaster, Colchester, Walsall etc…….

Half the season gone, and no away wins. It’s miraculous we’re not in the bottom 2 yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 87
ginnywings
December 26, 2023, 3:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
It's like end of days on here.

Did anyone actually expect us to go to Mansfield and get anything? They have lost one game all season and are a level above us at this time.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that most were saying how well we played against Crewe.

Yes, I accept the performance was crap, but Mansfield are a very good side, and made us look crap, as good teams do. We are not very good, or very consistent right now, which is why we have a new manager. Losing to Mansfield won't determine our season.

Of course there is concern among the fans, it's natural, but let's see how we do in the next couple of games before we start looking at non league guides for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 87
wekeepdreaming
December 26, 2023, 3:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -150
Gold Stars: 4
That was awful , no passion or desire!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Did anyone actually expect us to go to Mansfield and get anything? They have lost one game all season and are a level above us at this time.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that most were saying how well we played against Crewe.

Yes, I accept the performance was crap, but Mansfield are a very good side, and made us look crap, as good teams do. We are not very good, or very consistent right now, which is why we have a new manager. Losing to Mansfield won't determine our season.

Of course there is concern among the fans, it's natural, but let's see how we do in the next couple of games before we start looking at non league guides for next season.

I do think you’re right, today’s reaction is still the follow-on from Saturday’s debacle. I didn’t expect anything other than, at best, a complete fluke draw.

Salford is a massive game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
Mayaman
December 26, 2023, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
I agree Mansfield were very good.  Very accurate passing and didn't give the ball away much , especially at the back. Still, not much bite about town.  a lot of 'em looked lacklustre.  What happened to Glennon?  Two or three games ago, he was on fire. Not singling him out per se, but the difference has been dramatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
Phil the cod
December 26, 2023, 3:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from It Bites

I went on Saturday to the Harrogate game with my young niece, whilst in the osmand end I pulled out a can of coke that I'd bought her from the spar shop on way to the ground, immediately two stewards pounced on me demanding I give them the can as it is an offensive weapon! I said how is it it's a coke can ffsake, oh,you can snap it in half and slash someone with it was the reply, wtf! I was with my niece for god sake. Point is (yes there is one) instead of this woke health and safety b.llshit and £5 sausage rolls they should focus more on the playing side as we are a laughing stock, even my Scunthorpe supporting work colleagues think we are a joke.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
Mappers
December 26, 2023, 3:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from barralad
It's not very often I'm embarrassed to be a Town fan but we were handed our collective ar&es on a plate today. We struggled to do the basics. We couldn't pass the ball which is an absolute pre requisite for playing the type of game Artell appears to want. There was a bit more movement especially in the first half when we did put together a couple of very good moves.
The first goal took a deflection but came about because we lost the ball. The second goal happened because we allowed their lad to run...and run.
Second half was damage limitation with some of the players body language suggesting-far too early-they knew they were beaten. We appear to have picked up injuries- not ideal at this time of year.
Man of the Match by a country mile Harvey Cartwright who without much help from those in front of him made at least EIGHT greaat saves/blocks.
Of the outfield players only Green (in patches) and the irrepressible Danny Rose came out with much credit.

Agree with all of that apart from the damage limitation bit , that was Cartwright alone + a bit of luck , bits and pieces .

They played without care for the badge second half ,tools downed by some  , no place ; I am one very reluctant to criticize , but that second half was beyond words - feel for us all that went , the one's that paid £10 to watch it and even the one's that viewed it for free . It left some of the less forgiving members of the fanbase foaming at the mouth and for once I get it .

Big January ahead

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
LocalLadGTFC
December 26, 2023, 3:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
I agree Mansfield were very good.  Very accurate passing and didn't give the ball away much , especially at the back. Still, not much bite about town.  a lot of 'em looked lacklustre.  What happened to Glennon?  Two or three games ago, he was on fire. Not singling him out per se, but the difference has been dramatic.

That hasn't helped either, certain players that re found form haven't performed. Glennon and Hunt the two biggest to come back in have gone back to old ways. Rose has been so isolated but we have nobody else we can stick up top with him.. the fact we didn't bring in another striker is still the most baffling decision of deadline day.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 87
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2023, 3:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
You tend to lose to teams with better players. No? Then take it a stage further - you tend to lose to teams with better players who have been playing together for several seasons.

Some of the hyperbole on here is embarrassing.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Phil the cod

I went on Saturday to the Harrogate game with my young niece, whilst in the osmand end I pulled out a can of coke that I'd bought her from the spar shop on way to the ground, immediately two stewards pounced on me demanding I give them the can as it is an offensive weapon! I said how is it it's a coke can ffsake, oh,you can snap it in half and slash someone with it was the reply, wtf! I was with my niece for god sake. Point is (yes there is one) instead of this woke health and safety b.llshit and £5 sausage rolls they should focus more on the playing side as we are a laughing stock, even my Scunthorpe supporting work colleagues think we are a joke.

‘Woke health and safety bullsh1t”?!?!😂😂😂😂

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 87
friskneymariner
December 26, 2023, 3:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Got to say every interview D/A has given makes me think he doesn't believe what he is saying.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
sydney
December 26, 2023, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Terrible Again
Can’t think of 2 worse sides than us based on Sat and today
Hope the owners have appointed correctly
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
Mappers
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

No I expected us to run , battle try at least ; not just give up .

First half fine  unlucky , but second come out and have a right good go let them know they have been in a game

Don't give the ball away and walk or jog back slowly like you have already given up , come on now .

Don't think it's too much to ask effort and commitment even if we lack the ability of the opponent .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
It Bites
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
You tend to lose to teams with better players. No? Then take it a stage further - you tend to lose to teams with better players who have been playing together for several seasons.

Some of the hyperbole on here is embarrassing.

39 fin shots . We got humiliated, destroyed, battered , out worked , out thought  that’s embarrassing
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 87
Yarborough Vaults
December 26, 2023, 3:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Phil the cod

Are you seriously suggesting you've found a glitch in the time/space continuim - that if we allow cans of coke in the osmond then we may start winning?

Given what's happening on the pitch, I'd agree it's worth a try
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
It Bites
December 26, 2023, 3:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Are you seriously suggesting you've found a glitch in the time/space continuim - that if we allow cans of coke in the osmond then we may start winning?

😂😂😂😂
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
mariner91
December 26, 2023, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from friskneymariner
Got to say every interview D/A has given makes me think he doesn't believe what he is saying.

I get that impression too at times. I think he might have recognised how mentally fragile this squad is but that he’s going to be stuck with them until the summer, bar a few recruits in January. So rather than say publicly what he really thinks, he’s trying to be upbeat and positive.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
IlkleyMariner
December 26, 2023, 3:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
DA was taking a risk to take his new style to Mansfield today. Under the circumstances we got away with it.

Need something from next two games though. FGR currently 2-0 up at Newport!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
smokey111
December 26, 2023, 3:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
Any link to DA post match please?

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
It Bites
December 26, 2023, 3:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Scunthorpe are a grass roots club , take no notice of them
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
Phil the cod
December 26, 2023, 3:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

You silly boy, you know very well what I'm say you little tinker.

To sum up then,
1: how is a can of pop a deadly weapon?
2: when are we going to sign a big lad up front?
3: when will fans realise these two owners are all pointy brown shoes, smoke and mirrors and advacado salad eating lefties?
4: we need to ship out most of this squad.
5: the food and drink is shocking, the tea tastes like drain water.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Those stewards don’t know what they’re on about - but still, you can’t take a can in as, when full, it’s a pretty lethal weapon when thrown, especially onto the pitch.

As for your Scunny mates, just because they’re currently doing well in regional football doesn’t make them experts. They’ve had seasons at the top of L2 on sub-4000 crowds, so they’re in no position to question our current form or position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
Hagrid
December 26, 2023, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Just got back myself

Embarrasing 2nd half performance, could have been 10 but for bad  finishing and outstanding goalkeeping.

Our defence is a joke, Rodgers on a 3 year deal is just insanity. He is dreadful.
Clifton was excrement again, and somehow got 90 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
Phil the cod
December 26, 2023, 4:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Those stewards don’t know what they’re on about - but still, you can’t take a can in as, when full, it’s a pretty lethal weapon when thrown, especially onto the pitch.

As for your Scunny mates, just because they’re currently doing well in regional football doesn’t make them experts. They’ve had seasons at the top of L2 on sub-4000 crowds, so they’re in no position to question our current form or position.

Can was open and half drunk, as for my Scunthorpe mates, we'll be able to have a beer with them pre match next season way it's going for both clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
Zmariner
December 26, 2023, 4:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Phil the cod

Was it diet or full sugar?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
GibMariner
December 26, 2023, 4:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from 123614

That’s always been the case. Just another prop for when it  may go wrong 😑
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
hampshiremariner
December 26, 2023, 4:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
I have it on authority from a regular Crewe attender. that DA had them playing very entertaining and successful football. Then at the end of the season. they lost some of their key loanees and went into sharp decline. They could have gone down last season but had a revival at the end to escape trouble.
I really hoped we would press on this season. People on here actually stated they thought PH had built a stronger squad. Someone else said we had good players but PH could not get them to play a tune.  
I think it will be very hard to strengthen this squad in January and DA will have to work with what he’s got. I hope he can improve things but when you see reports from eye-witnesses that some of the players switched off and downed tools today, then he’s got a real challenge on. 39 shots on out goal, that beats Liverpool’s 34 against MU!
Well done to our goalkeeper. You saved us from one hell of a beating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from smokey111
Any link to DA post match please?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h1nwgf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
Limerick Mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
   Back home. In terms of relegation fights, we are right in the thick of it, no matter what DA says. The body language of the players in the second half says it all. We are making our own bad luck with deflected goals with opposition players getting shots off that they shouldn’t be allowed to. We are totally reliant on Rose up front, he worked his socks off again and must be totally p!ssed off with the shambles behind him. An injury to him and we are well and truly fecked.

DA really needs to earn his corn in Jan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
LocalLadGTFC
December 26, 2023, 4:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Forest Green was 2-0 up... now losing 3-2 at Newport. Fridays opponents Salford losing 4-1 at home to Tranmere and now down to 10 men.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 87
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 116
Started brightly and weren't totally outshone first half.

Losing Pyke was massive because after that we had no threat in behind.

The 2nd goal was criminal just as we were looking like making a game of it.

Bringing Andrews on made us worse, he had one good run that ended with a pathetic attempt win a free kick, after that he barely broke a sweat. Was surprised to see Gnahoua go off who I thought was a threat.

What worried me was how awful we are without the ball (I know we weren't good with it, we were completely outworked, had no press and 2nd half the heads were down.  

Feel really sorry for the two centre halves who I think are good players, we turn the ball over right in front of them and offer them very little support. We were disorganised and Artell didn't make any tactical changes to effect it. Just awful 2nd half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
Hagrid
December 26, 2023, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Bringing Andrews on made us worse, he had one good run that ended with a pathetic attempt win a free kick, after that he barely broke a sweat. Was surprised to see Gnahoua go off who I thought was a threat.

What worried me was how awful we are without the ball (I know we weren't good with it, we were completely outworked, had no press and 2nd half the heads were down.  

Feel really sorry for the two centre halves who I think are good players, we turn the ball over right in front of them and offer them very little support. We were disorganised and Artell didn't make any tactical changes to effect it. Just awful 2nd half.

How can you possibly say that 2 centre backs who are part of a team 23 games without a clean sheet, cant pass a ball, and constantly produce individual errors are good players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
HerveJosse
December 26, 2023, 4:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings

If there was a nuclear war you would say it’s nothing to worry about we can re evolve from amoeba
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Maher has gone backwards this season. Looked like he had the potential to really develop from his performances towards the end of last season, but he looks less mobile, his passing is ropey and his judgement isn't good at the moment.

Rodgers looked good during the early stages of the season but has way too many off days. When the pressure is on, good defenders come to the fore, but those who are suspect begin to struggle and that's what we're seeing at present. (Didn't go to Mansfield, so can't comment about any performances today).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’m interested in what Artell is thinking more than what he’s saying. We could’ve been level or ahead at half time but he can’t now be blind to the fact that he’s seen the level required across a range of credentials to be play offs competitive. He’ll  know he doesn’t have good enough players for that, so he will surely be thinking about his scope to upgrade players in the window, and coach what he’s left with to better effect to keep us out of bottom 2. I suspect he’ll back himself to achieve the latter, but I think January is pivotal for us. The owners and management should be looking to exchange some players in my opinion. They’ll be bound by limited availability but I think we need at least one player in, in defence, midfield and up front.
If Vernam and Wilson come back firing, much the better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Quoted from Hagrid

How can you possibly say that 2 centre backs who are part of a team 23 games without a clean sheet, cant pass a ball, and constantly produce individual errors are good players.

Maher was excellent last season and is generally very good. Rodgers has been a decent player at a higher level and looks a capable player. The issues are in front of them, they're being asked to play out with very little options.
We could have Van Dijk and Bobby Moore at the back at the minute and still struggle.
The made lots of tackles, blocks and interceptions today, they just had way too many to make.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
Limerick Mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We didn’t have any players on the bench who would enable us to make tactical changes. I agree re Pyke and Gnahoua both were going well when replaced - both due to knocks, the forced changes weakened us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
thornemariner
December 26, 2023, 5:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from barralad

Good to see and chat to you, Ian.

Agree with your take on the game.

We didn't do too badly at times in the first half but couldn't resist gifting some goals to Mansfield.

They absolutely battered us in the second half and the scoreline would have been far worse if the keeper hadn't been in inspired form.

I expected nothing from the game so wasn't disappointed at the result but the application of some of our players was wanting. Probably see you at Salford! Big game that.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
ginnywings
December 26, 2023, 5:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse

If there was a nuclear war you would say it’s nothing to worry about we can re evolve from amoeba

If you want to worry about the situation, then go ahead. Firstly, there are too many games and a window to come before the situation becomes dire, and secondly, worrying about it isn't going to change anything. I choose to look at it pragmatically.

I know it makes people feel better to have a bit of a moan and say we are sh1t when we've been outplayed and lost, but Mansfield will outplay and beat many more teams than us.

Four seasons ago, they were in the bottom four. Three seasons ago they were mid table, and the last couple of seasons they have finished 7th and 8th. This season they have progressed again. Doesn't happen overnight. We showed against Morecambe, MK Dons and Crewe that we have something to build on.

Now if we lose to Salford, that will be cause for concern, seeing as they are currently bottom of the League 2 form guide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
Kris2
December 26, 2023, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
   Back home. In terms of relegation fights, we are right in the thick of it, no matter what DA says. The body language of the players in the second half says it all. We are making our own bad luck with deflected goals with opposition players getting shots off that they shouldn’t be allowed to. We are totally reliant on Rose up front, he worked his socks off again and must be totally p!ssed off with the shambles behind him. An injury to him and we are well and truly fecked.

DA really needs to earn his corn in Jan.

It's really down to how much the board supports him in bringing in what he needs and it doesn't sound good right now. They are talking about players needing to go to make money available in Jan so I'm expecting a couple of lacklustre loans and not much more, even if we wanted rid of some players I doubt too many would be jumping to pay a fee, some of them would be good players in the NL but fail at L2 level so maybe some promotion chasing NL team might take somebody off our hands. Was only last season there was talk of clubs being interested in Clifton, if there was an offer we probably should have taken it because he's fell off a cliff this season.

Have to say, it felt like a repeat of the Harrogate game. We started brightly for the first 10 minutes but no end product on chances then we conceded through a mistake and then went to pot. We struggled to string together two passes for most of the game and defence was once again shocking besides the bright spark of Cartwright in goal who was written off early in the season in cup appearances as terrible but has grown as a footballer since being given a run of games to gain experience. Harvey Rodgers who started the season well is now a constant liability and he's paired with the awful Maher who never looks good. I'd say get Waterfall back in at this point, offers much less pace but is very vocal and organises at the back plus defends well at set pieces. We really need to push the boat out on some quality at the back if we insist on playing this way though because clearly the current crop are having trouble.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
pen penfras
December 26, 2023, 6:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Quoted from ginnywings

Four seasons ago, they were in the bottom four. Three seasons ago they were mid table, and the last couple of seasons they have finished 7th and 8th. This season they have progressed again. Doesn't happen overnight. We showed against Morecambe, MK Dons and Crewe that we have something to build on.

Seen this a few times today, but their situation is nothing like ours. They've spent big for years and underachieved. We haven't spent big ever and with a chairman that wants out we aren't going to any time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
Northbank Mariner
December 26, 2023, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from pen penfras

Seen this a few times today, but their situation is nothing like ours. They've spent big for years and underachieved. We haven't spent big ever and with a chairman that wants out we aren't going to any time soon.

Go away pen, your narrative is boring to say the least!!..
Stockwood has been interviewed several times recently and not once shirked his responsibility, and has ardently advocated about the club being a community asset, and how he enjoys that side of it.
If you're going to spout nonsense, back it up with the source, and don't use the initials JSF!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Your lingering bitterness and goading/gloating at the club’s disappointments and shortcomings is, at best, pathetic, and at worst, undignified and pitiful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Notable that are a few unremittingly negative posters coming out of the woodwork who have been pretty quiet since Hurst was sacked and the caretakers steadied the ship. Didn't take too long for it to begin again.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I'd hope we'll have enough to keep us up this season, especially if we manage to sign one or two decent players in January. The squad is so short of players up front, we must surely have some budget available to sign a couple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
hampshiremariner
December 26, 2023, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
To Kris (above) Re Waterfall. I agree.  Always been a Waterfall fan, as he is mentally strong and a leader. He is wasted on the bench. I was amazed when he was left out of the team at the start of the season. Get him back in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2023, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from hampshiremariner
To Kris (above) Re Waterfall. I agree.  Always been a Waterfall fan, as he is mentally strong and a leader. He is wasted on the bench. I was amazed when he was left out of the team at the start of the season. Get him back in.

Seriously, no.

I’m a massive fan of what he’s done at the club but he’s now so slow, we have to play far too deep to accommodate him. We were unable to keep a clean sheet under Hurst, and are still failing to do so, we need someone new at centre back.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
Southwark Mariner
December 26, 2023, 7:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from hampshiremariner

He was quite bad at playing out from defence from the Holloway era. Play to his strengths and he'd be in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
pontoonlew
December 26, 2023, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Not a great performance, but those poor individual displays came from existing players and not new signings, so I don’t buy that it’s just a poor window that’s done it. Clifton was absolutely woeful, how he’s getting 90 mins when players like Conteh are getting hooked every week is beyond me. Rodgers, Efete and Glennon the other culprits for being only just slightly better than useless.

How Artell is getting any stick this soon is baffling to me. We’ve just lost to the side most of us cited as promotion winners in waiting after we played them in August, that hasn’t changed either. Artell has had us playing noticeably better football bar these last 2 games, he’s going to need time and a good January window to fix some of our flaws. Turning this around is a long term project and he’s going to need longer than 6 games to do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Not a great performance, but those poor individual displays came from existing players and not new signings, so I don’t buy that it’s just a poor window that’s done it. Clifton was absolutely woeful, how he’s getting 90 mins when players like Conteh are getting hooked every week is beyond me. Rodgers, Efete and Glennon the other culprits for being only just slightly better than useless.

How Artell is getting any stick this soon is baffling to me. We’ve just lost to the side most of us cited as promotion winners in waiting after we played them in August, that hasn’t changed either. Artell has had us playing noticeably better football bar these last 2 games, he’s going to need time and a good January window to fix some of our flaws. Turning this around is a long term project and he’s going to need longer than 6 games to do that.

I reckon that’s right and I reckon he knows it. The stark reality dawning on everyone is, I think, that the squad just isn’t good enough to be any sort of force or presence in L2. In the short term we are going to need to struggle through and scrabble for a few points here and there to get by and keep our heads above water. Such a shame.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
LocalLadGTFC
December 26, 2023, 7:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Exactly that mate, you don't build a promotion winning squad in one window either. He'll get time and it'll take a couple years but we've seen the blueprints already and performances have improved. The past two have brought us back down to reality of just how bad this squad is.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 87
RonMariner
December 26, 2023, 8:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
I think it's about ensuring survival now and it means bringing in several new faces in January.  It's certainly possible to turn things around in January, but it will take serious action to do so.  

Last time we were in this situation in 2020 Bradford were in as bad a position as we were. So they brought in 13 new players and shot up the table while we sank right into the drop zone and got relegated.

I imagine we don't have the kind of cash to basically buy a new team like they did, but we could bring in several quality loanees to steady the ship ahead of a major rebuild in summer.  I'd say two experienced centerbacks,  a central midfielder and a striker. Four players minimum. The spine of the team.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 87
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 8:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
I think it's about ensuring survival now and it means bringing in several new faces in January.  It's certainly possible to turn things around in January, but it will take serious action to do so.  

Last time we were in this situation in 2020 Bradford were in as bad a position as we were. So they brought in 13 new players and shot up the table while we sank right into the drop zone and got relegated.

I imagine we don't have the kind of cash to basically buy a new team like they did, but we could bring in several quality loanees to steady the ship ahead of a major rebuild in summer.  I'd say two experienced centerbacks,  a central midfielder and a striker. Four players minimum. The spine of the team.  

Yep, this is the situation. It’s gonna be tough. It’s all about survival. Let’s think about developing a decent team if we stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 87
fishcake63
December 26, 2023, 9:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Awfull it could have been double figures well done harvey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2023, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Phil the cod

🛎️🔚

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2023, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Exactly!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 87
golfer
December 27, 2023, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Two new centre backs definitely required. For the first goal Glennon goes  down the wing - Maher stood in no mans land instead of covering.  Second goal Rodgers loses the ball stupidly - defence backs off until player in shooting range. 2 goals down - game over. They seemed to get a free header in from every corner.    Pyke seemed like the only one with any goal threat . When he went off our heads went down as if the players knew the outcome.  Why are we getting so many off the ball injuries ?  Getting very worried.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 87
lukeo
December 27, 2023, 8:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Cartwright motm. Brilliant saves.

Rodgers was awful.

That's all I wish to say.

We go again Friday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 87
pen penfras
December 27, 2023, 9:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Two new centre backs definitely required. For the first goal Glennon goes  down the wing - Maher stood in no mans land instead of covering.  Second goal Rodgers loses the ball stupidly - defence backs off until player in shooting range. 2 goals down - game over. They seemed to get a free header in from every corner.    Pyke seemed like the only one with any goal threat . When he went off our heads went down as if the players knew the outcome.  Why are we getting so many off the ball injuries ?  Getting very worried.

When things are going well, players rarely get injured. When they're going badly they feel every knock. I think it's a psychological thing more than cynical, but these niggles wouldn't be happening if things were going well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 87
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Isn't it a shock.  The exact same players that produced the performances that left us near the foot of the table have produced a bad performance!

How good do people think Dave Artell is?  He has literally broken it down into the most basic of terms in every interview I've heard him do.  This is a process.  We're trying to completely change the way we play.  It will not happen over night.

The worst thing we can do, which is what we did at the beginning of the season under Hurst and in my opinion one of the major reasons we're in this position, is that we abandoned a change in style and went back to and old faithful type approach that our squad wasn't equipped for.

It's mid-season, the players are now on their third approach and style of the campaign.  Anyone who seriously thought we were going to get a Kieran McKenna type bounce with Artell and everyone take to his set-up instantly as we rocketed into the play-off spots was deluded.  After the Harrogate game he came out and more or less said this is a write-off season.  We're not going anywhere but we'll be building for next year.  Don't get me wrong, that's gutting to hear and then to acknowledge because we all had high hopes for this season.   It should have been a better campaign.   But the reality is we're doing a lot of pre-season work in December.    

If we want to go into next season and then the season beyond that with this pressing style, where we play out from the back, feel comfortable with the ball under pressure and most of all entertain the fans, then there is no magic button.  It'll take time to implement and I dare say Artell is going to need to make his own changes to help introduce it.

He's got what he's got at the minute.  A talented squad of individuals that aren't quite sure how to work together with this style of play.  The challenge is down to them to either step-up and figure it out or be prepared to move on and let someone else come in who can do the job.   I don't think Artell can be any fairer than that and in fairness he hasn't really got much choice until the window opens in a few days, even then any movement is dependent on availability of players and the willingness of other clubs to take our players.

I know it's limited but the calls for a 'big man' are way off the mark.  Firstly it's pointless as we're not going to be going route one.  You might not like but you'll probably save yourself a heart attack in accepting it rather than frothing about it.  Secondly in terms of someone to lead the line and hold up play, I don't think you'll find anyone better at this level than Danny Rose,  Certainly someone who we can afford anyway.  

The bounce is over.  This is where Artell gets to see who is made of what and I think he's gently hinting at things to come in the next few weeks.  But I'm very confident that for the rest of the season we'll have outstanding performances (like Crewe) that make us think we've cracked it.  Then we'll have awful displays (like yesterday) which make us think we're heading down.   Neither will be true, just a reflection of the yo-yo nature of performances when you're trying a different approach.    See it as a very extended pre-season, preparing us for next season.  Trust me, it'll feel a lot less disappointing if you just accept that and try to enjoy the process.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 87
Mappers
December 27, 2023, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Exactly that mate, you don't build a promotion winning squad in one window either. He'll get time and it'll take a couple years but we've seen the blueprints already and performances have improved. The past two have brought us back down to reality of just how bad this squad is.

Steve Evans seems to manage it tbf to him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
GrimRob
December 27, 2023, 10:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
Why can't we play a style that suits the players we now have rather than one which needs several additions to it (which might not even work out)? Working with what you have, especially if you are in danger of going down, would seem sensible. I remember much the same issue with IH when he first arrived. Playing out from the back means giving the opposition regular chances if you keep making a mess of it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 87
pen penfras
December 27, 2023, 10:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Why can't we play a style that suits the players we now have rather than one which needs several additions to it (which might not even work out)? Working with what you have, especially if you are in danger of going down, would seem sensible. I remember much the same issue with IH when he first arrived. Playing out from the back means giving the opposition regular chances if you keep making a mess of it.

I completely agree, but when IH arrived we actually did start to play well, the players he brought in at first were a huge part of that though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2023, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

That's where I am to be honest. Like most of us on here I'm no expert in football coaching but last season we had trouble keeping the ball in the style we played, with this in mind it seems odd that we then move to trying a more possession based game.

One of our best results and performances in recent seasons was against Plymouth in the cup, we played to our strengths with the side we had that day and it worked, I know it's only one game but it just sticks out for me.

I think JS has done a brilliant job since taking over but when he's publicly talking about style of play and nonsense like "The Grimsby Way" then I'm not sure it's helpful.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
RonMariner
December 27, 2023, 10:40am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
I hear a lot of talk about players adapting to various playing styles but the fact is that many of the players seem to be struggling with the fundamental basics, i.e tracking back when you lose your man, covering when a team mate is out of position, moving into space to give a team mate an easy pass option, watching for opponents running into dangerous spaces, and closing down opponents in the final third to name but a few.  Many also seem to struggle with accurate passing, set piece delivery and being able to cross the ball into dangerous areas from open play.

These are all things we expect professional players to be able to do. We should also expect professional coaching staff to be able to instill these basic skills where needed.  It really makes you wonder just what has been going on at the training ground over the last few months.

I think DA is well aware of these issues and will work to overcome them. But give the bloke a chance, he's only been here a few weeks and the squad he inherited has been disfunctional for months. His task will be made easier if he can bring in a few capable players in key positions in January.              
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
It Bites
December 27, 2023, 10:40am
Champagne Drinker

I think JS has done a brilliant job since taking over but when he's publicly talking about style of play and nonsense like "The Grimsby Way" then I'm not sure it's helpful.    [/quote]

That’s exactly my point the other day . JS knows about as much as me regarding a style of play etc , which means he’s living in fairy land if he thinks he can implement that . He’ll go through several managers and loads of players before it happens. He’s a novice football club owner and has improved the ground , training ground etc because they are things he can control . Lg2 footballers are not so easy are they ?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
rancido
December 27, 2023, 10:51am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RonMariner
I hear a lot of talk about players adapting to various playing styles but the fact is that many of the players seem to be struggling with the fundamental basics, i.e tracking back when you lose your man, covering when a team mate is out of position, moving into space to give a team mate an easy pass option, watching for opponents running into dangerous spaces, and closing down opponents in the final third to name but a few.  Many also seem to struggle with accurate passing, set piece delivery and being able to cross the ball into dangerous areas from open play.

These are all things we expect professional players to be able to do. We should also expect professional coaching staff to be able to instill these basic skills where needed.  It really makes you wonder just what has been going on at the training ground over the last few months.

I think DA is well aware of these issues and will work to overcome them. But give the bloke a chance, he's only been here a few weeks and the squad he inherited has been disfunctional for months. His task will be made easier if he can bring in a few capable players in key positions in January.              

I agree that it's the players inability to do the basics that you expect from a professional footballer that baffles me. These are all players that have come through youth systems at various clubs, some from a much higher level than us. The basics should have been instilled in their mind process to become second nature. Tracking back, making yourself available for a pass, wide midfielders supporting their full back, trying to lose your marker - these are all things that we expected and witnessed when I started watching town in the late 1960's and are still an essential part of the game. Tactics and formations may have developed and changed over the years but the basic skills should still be the same.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2023, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

But we shouldn't be making a mess of it. All he is asking them to do is pass to each other. We've got very little pace, aggression or doggedness so this is the best way for these players, as shown pre Harrogate.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I completely agree, but when IH arrived we actually did start to play well, the players he brought in at first were a huge part of that though.

It was mixed though.  Very mixed.

That initial bounce was great.  His first proper game in charge was Mansfield away.  Down to ten men for 80 minutes with Moses Ogbu absolutely battering them up top, after that it was consistently up and down.  Both for results and performances.  For the wins over Stevenage, Colchester, Newport...there was Swindon, Northampton and Plymouth.  

We conceded 3 goals in three of the final five games and actually only kept two clean sheets in that 14 game period (first and last) with 23 goals conceded overall.   I remember that run quite fondly but that's no doubt blinkered by the good performances because they were very good, but I've definitely glossed over the bad performances and the mini-hammerings we were taking quite regularly.  

You're absolutely right though, his new signings were a huge boost.  Limbrick did a great job in steadying the ship post Jolley and was really unlucky to have to wait until his final game for a win.  But the additions of Glennon, Benson and Clarke really gave us a new dynamic.  Even the likes of Elliot Grandin gave us something extra.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 87
Croxton
December 27, 2023, 11:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RonMariner

Bang on re 'the basics'. I thought we recruited 'character' and honest endeavour according to PH but we looked cowardly and workshy at times in the second half yesterday. Danny tries to lead from the front but we need eleven captains from now on in this relegation struggle.

I would not have Evans at BP but he knows how to recruit and inculcate a winning mentality. Several of us were saying at Mansfield that we are far too nice. Quite literally a pushover, even our six footers coughing up possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
barrattstandman
December 27, 2023, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +481
Gold Stars: 17
If a profesional footballer cannot play in different ways on the pitch then why is he on the pitch in the first place ?
Surely every manager he has played for has a different style of play. Its a Sad reflection of our players if they cant .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 87
GrimRob
December 27, 2023, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113

But we shouldn't be making a mess of it. All he is asking them to do is pass to each other. We've got very little pace, aggression or doggedness so this is the best way for these players, as shown pre Harrogate.

Passing is easy if you have the time. The last two games we have been tonked in. Every team we now face will be studying those games and trying to do exactly the same as Harrogate and Mansfield, which will be greatly helped if we present a similar approach. New managers have a short spell while everyone else susses you out, that now has passed. We haven't won many games this season but the games we haven't won had in many cases been relatively close and on another day we might have got something out of. This was something else though. Mansfield had 39 shots yesterday, 16 on target and 15 corners. That's horrendous, even Brighton managed less on every count I think. It's a miracle we only lost 2-0. As students of data, it will be interesting to see what we do next.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 87
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
The thing is with Steve Evans, he never leaves a legacy and knows when to get out before it gets too difficult.  Him as an individual and a manager is a topic done to death on here.  He's a first class male masturbator, yet he has a knack of getting the best out of players and succeeds more often than not.  What I would say is that it's rare he goes anywhere without a decent budget to work with.

He wouldn't fit in with 1878 at all, not just for his style of football or his mannerism's.  He's short-term in everything he does.  He's doing a great job at Stevenage now but within a year the wheels will have come off, he'll have high-tailed it to the next chairman with too much money to burn and Stevenage will be back struggling in League Two.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2023, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman
If a profesional footballer cannot play in different ways on the pitch then why is he on the pitch in the first place ?
Surely every manager he has played for has a different style of play. Its a Sad reflection of our players if they cant .

I'm not sure that's confined to Town players to be honest. Experienced developed EFL players can do adapt, at the moment we don't have enough of them in positions where we need them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
arryarryarry
December 27, 2023, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Quoted from RonMariner

A couple of points, regarding style of play I agree the style had frig all to do with Efete and Conteh backing off their player who scored their second, I am still baffled how some on here think Efete is a good defender.

I do think that DA may be trying to change the style too quickly though.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
friskneymariner
December 27, 2023, 11:56am

Champagne Drinker
In his interview after Harrogate D/A stated there are 3 ways to go through the oppositions press.That is to go through,go over it,or go round it.Going through is not working,we haven't got the players to go over it,and he seems to abandoned any idea of going round it by not playing Khan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
chaos33
December 27, 2023, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah I’m finding it hard to make sense of that. Our chance of keeping out of trouble, I think, lies in there being a cluster of teams similar to us ie - not strong across all categories and pretty average in most. There probably are at least 6-12 teams like that in L2. We’ll need to ride our luck in those games and put faith in the law of averages to acquire the odd point here and there. It’s sad isn’t it - busking and blagging in L2 because we read the map and the signals incorrectly and we either misspent our money or didn’t spend enough.  The very, very bottom line is that we can’t keep a clean sheet. I’d start right back there and get that nailed down. We might then have a chance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
rancido
December 27, 2023, 1:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

He was quite bad at playing out from defence from the Holloway era. Play to his strengths and he'd be in the team

But you can't play a style or approach based on the strengths of one aging defender who is in the twilight of his career. If Waterfall is released at the end of this season then I would be totally amazed if a League club signed him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back in the car

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.