Kris2
December 26, 2023, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
   Back home. In terms of relegation fights, we are right in the thick of it, no matter what DA says. The body language of the players in the second half says it all. We are making our own bad luck with deflected goals with opposition players getting shots off that they shouldn’t be allowed to. We are totally reliant on Rose up front, he worked his socks off again and must be totally p!ssed off with the shambles behind him. An injury to him and we are well and truly fecked.

DA really needs to earn his corn in Jan.

It's really down to how much the board supports him in bringing in what he needs and it doesn't sound good right now. They are talking about players needing to go to make money available in Jan so I'm expecting a couple of lacklustre loans and not much more, even if we wanted rid of some players I doubt too many would be jumping to pay a fee, some of them would be good players in the NL but fail at L2 level so maybe some promotion chasing NL team might take somebody off our hands. Was only last season there was talk of clubs being interested in Clifton, if there was an offer we probably should have taken it because he's fell off a cliff this season.

Have to say, it felt like a repeat of the Harrogate game. We started brightly for the first 10 minutes but no end product on chances then we conceded through a mistake and then went to pot. We struggled to string together two passes for most of the game and defence was once again shocking besides the bright spark of Cartwright in goal who was written off early in the season in cup appearances as terrible but has grown as a footballer since being given a run of games to gain experience. Harvey Rodgers who started the season well is now a constant liability and he's paired with the awful Maher who never looks good. I'd say get Waterfall back in at this point, offers much less pace but is very vocal and organises at the back plus defends well at set pieces. We really need to push the boat out on some quality at the back if we insist on playing this way though because clearly the current crop are having trouble.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
pen penfras
December 26, 2023, 6:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

Four seasons ago, they were in the bottom four. Three seasons ago they were mid table, and the last couple of seasons they have finished 7th and 8th. This season they have progressed again. Doesn't happen overnight. We showed against Morecambe, MK Dons and Crewe that we have something to build on.

Seen this a few times today, but their situation is nothing like ours. They've spent big for years and underachieved. We haven't spent big ever and with a chairman that wants out we aren't going to any time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
Northbank Mariner
December 26, 2023, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,464
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from pen penfras

Seen this a few times today, but their situation is nothing like ours. They've spent big for years and underachieved. We haven't spent big ever and with a chairman that wants out we aren't going to any time soon.

Go away pen, your narrative is boring to say the least!!..
Stockwood has been interviewed several times recently and not once shirked his responsibility, and has ardently advocated about the club being a community asset, and how he enjoys that side of it.
If you're going to spout nonsense, back it up with the source, and don't use the initials JSF!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pen penfras

Your lingering bitterness and goading/gloating at the club’s disappointments and shortcomings is, at best, pathetic, and at worst, undignified and pitiful.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,521
Gold Stars: 185
Notable that are a few unremittingly negative posters coming out of the woodwork who have been pretty quiet since Hurst was sacked and the caretakers steadied the ship. Didn't take too long for it to begin again.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I'd hope we'll have enough to keep us up this season, especially if we manage to sign one or two decent players in January. The squad is so short of players up front, we must surely have some budget available to sign a couple.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
hampshiremariner
December 26, 2023, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
To Kris (above) Re Waterfall. I agree.  Always been a Waterfall fan, as he is mentally strong and a leader. He is wasted on the bench. I was amazed when he was left out of the team at the start of the season. Get him back in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2023, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from hampshiremariner
To Kris (above) Re Waterfall. I agree.  Always been a Waterfall fan, as he is mentally strong and a leader. He is wasted on the bench. I was amazed when he was left out of the team at the start of the season. Get him back in.

Seriously, no.

I’m a massive fan of what he’s done at the club but he’s now so slow, we have to play far too deep to accommodate him. We were unable to keep a clean sheet under Hurst, and are still failing to do so, we need someone new at centre back.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
Southwark Mariner
December 26, 2023, 7:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from hampshiremariner

He was quite bad at playing out from defence from the Holloway era. Play to his strengths and he'd be in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
pontoonlew
December 26, 2023, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,037
Gold Stars: 177
Not a great performance, but those poor individual displays came from existing players and not new signings, so I don’t buy that it’s just a poor window that’s done it. Clifton was absolutely woeful, how he’s getting 90 mins when players like Conteh are getting hooked every week is beyond me. Rodgers, Efete and Glennon the other culprits for being only just slightly better than useless.

How Artell is getting any stick this soon is baffling to me. We’ve just lost to the side most of us cited as promotion winners in waiting after we played them in August, that hasn’t changed either. Artell has had us playing noticeably better football bar these last 2 games, he’s going to need time and a good January window to fix some of our flaws. Turning this around is a long term project and he’s going to need longer than 6 games to do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pontoonlew
Not a great performance, but those poor individual displays came from existing players and not new signings, so I don’t buy that it’s just a poor window that’s done it. Clifton was absolutely woeful, how he’s getting 90 mins when players like Conteh are getting hooked every week is beyond me. Rodgers, Efete and Glennon the other culprits for being only just slightly better than useless.

How Artell is getting any stick this soon is baffling to me. We’ve just lost to the side most of us cited as promotion winners in waiting after we played them in August, that hasn’t changed either. Artell has had us playing noticeably better football bar these last 2 games, he’s going to need time and a good January window to fix some of our flaws. Turning this around is a long term project and he’s going to need longer than 6 games to do that.

I reckon that’s right and I reckon he knows it. The stark reality dawning on everyone is, I think, that the squad just isn’t good enough to be any sort of force or presence in L2. In the short term we are going to need to struggle through and scrabble for a few points here and there to get by and keep our heads above water. Such a shame.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back in the car

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.