9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
December 26, 2023, 4:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,231
Gold Stars: 137
Forest Green was 2-0 up... now losing 3-2 at Newport. Fridays opponents Salford losing 4-1 at home to Tranmere and now down to 10 men.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 87
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 119
Started brightly and weren't totally outshone first half.

Losing Pyke was massive because after that we had no threat in behind.

The 2nd goal was criminal just as we were looking like making a game of it.

Bringing Andrews on made us worse, he had one good run that ended with a pathetic attempt win a free kick, after that he barely broke a sweat. Was surprised to see Gnahoua go off who I thought was a threat.

What worried me was how awful we are without the ball (I know we weren't good with it, we were completely outworked, had no press and 2nd half the heads were down.  

Feel really sorry for the two centre halves who I think are good players, we turn the ball over right in front of them and offer them very little support. We were disorganised and Artell didn't make any tactical changes to effect it. Just awful 2nd half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
Hagrid
December 26, 2023, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,434
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Bringing Andrews on made us worse, he had one good run that ended with a pathetic attempt win a free kick, after that he barely broke a sweat. Was surprised to see Gnahoua go off who I thought was a threat.

What worried me was how awful we are without the ball (I know we weren't good with it, we were completely outworked, had no press and 2nd half the heads were down.  

Feel really sorry for the two centre halves who I think are good players, we turn the ball over right in front of them and offer them very little support. We were disorganised and Artell didn't make any tactical changes to effect it. Just awful 2nd half.

How can you possibly say that 2 centre backs who are part of a team 23 games without a clean sheet, cant pass a ball, and constantly produce individual errors are good players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
HerveJosse
December 26, 2023, 4:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings
It's like end of days on here.

Did anyone actually expect us to go to Mansfield and get anything? They have lost one game all season and are a level above us at this time.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that most were saying how well we played against Crewe.

Yes, I accept the performance was crap, but Mansfield are a very good side, and made us look crap, as good teams do. We are not very good, or very consistent right now, which is why we have a new manager. Losing to Mansfield won't determine our season.

Of course there is concern among the fans, it's natural, but let's see how we do in the next couple of games before we start looking at non league guides for next season.

If there was a nuclear war you would say it’s nothing to worry about we can re evolve from amoeba
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
Maher has gone backwards this season. Looked like he had the potential to really develop from his performances towards the end of last season, but he looks less mobile, his passing is ropey and his judgement isn't good at the moment.

Rodgers looked good during the early stages of the season but has way too many off days. When the pressure is on, good defenders come to the fore, but those who are suspect begin to struggle and that's what we're seeing at present. (Didn't go to Mansfield, so can't comment about any performances today).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
chaos33
December 26, 2023, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
I’m interested in what Artell is thinking more than what he’s saying. We could’ve been level or ahead at half time but he can’t now be blind to the fact that he’s seen the level required across a range of credentials to be play offs competitive. He’ll  know he doesn’t have good enough players for that, so he will surely be thinking about his scope to upgrade players in the window, and coach what he’s left with to better effect to keep us out of bottom 2. I suspect he’ll back himself to achieve the latter, but I think January is pivotal for us. The owners and management should be looking to exchange some players in my opinion. They’ll be bound by limited availability but I think we need at least one player in, in defence, midfield and up front.
If Vernam and Wilson come back firing, much the better.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Hagrid

How can you possibly say that 2 centre backs who are part of a team 23 games without a clean sheet, cant pass a ball, and constantly produce individual errors are good players.

Maher was excellent last season and is generally very good. Rodgers has been a decent player at a higher level and looks a capable player. The issues are in front of them, they're being asked to play out with very little options.
We could have Van Dijk and Bobby Moore at the back at the minute and still struggle.
The made lots of tackles, blocks and interceptions today, they just had way too many to make.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
Limerick Mariner
December 26, 2023, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We didn’t have any players on the bench who would enable us to make tactical changes. I agree re Pyke and Gnahoua both were going well when replaced - both due to knocks, the forced changes weakened us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
thornemariner
December 26, 2023, 5:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +664
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from barralad
It's not very often I'm embarrassed to be a Town fan but we were handed our collective ar&es on a plate today. We struggled to do the basics. We couldn't pass the ball which is an absolute pre requisite for playing the type of game Artell appears to want. There was a bit more movement especially in the first half when we did put together a couple of very good moves.
The first goal took a deflection but came about because we lost the ball. The second goal happened because we allowed their lad to run...and run.
Second half was damage limitation with some of the players body language suggesting-far too early-they knew they were beaten. We appear to have picked up injuries- not ideal at this time of year.
Man of the Match by a country mile Harvey Cartwright who without much help from those in front of him made at least EIGHT greaat saves/blocks.
Of the outfield players only Green (in patches) and the irrepressible Danny Rose came out with much credit.

Good to see and chat to you, Ian.

Agree with your take on the game.

We didn't do too badly at times in the first half but couldn't resist gifting some goals to Mansfield.

They absolutely battered us in the second half and the scoreline would have been far worse if the keeper hadn't been in inspired form.

I expected nothing from the game so wasn't disappointed at the result but the application of some of our players was wanting. Probably see you at Salford! Big game that.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
ginnywings
December 26, 2023, 5:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse

If there was a nuclear war you would say it’s nothing to worry about we can re evolve from amoeba

If you want to worry about the situation, then go ahead. Firstly, there are too many games and a window to come before the situation becomes dire, and secondly, worrying about it isn't going to change anything. I choose to look at it pragmatically.

I know it makes people feel better to have a bit of a moan and say we are sh1t when we've been outplayed and lost, but Mansfield will outplay and beat many more teams than us.

Four seasons ago, they were in the bottom four. Three seasons ago they were mid table, and the last couple of seasons they have finished 7th and 8th. This season they have progressed again. Doesn't happen overnight. We showed against Morecambe, MK Dons and Crewe that we have something to build on.

Now if we lose to Salford, that will be cause for concern, seeing as they are currently bottom of the League 2 form guide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back in the car

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.