Mappers
December 27, 2023, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,342
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Exactly that mate, you don't build a promotion winning squad in one window either. He'll get time and it'll take a couple years but we've seen the blueprints already and performances have improved. The past two have brought us back down to reality of just how bad this squad is.

Steve Evans seems to manage it tbf to him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
GrimRob
December 27, 2023, 10:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,423
Gold Stars: 113
Why can't we play a style that suits the players we now have rather than one which needs several additions to it (which might not even work out)? Working with what you have, especially if you are in danger of going down, would seem sensible. I remember much the same issue with IH when he first arrived. Playing out from the back means giving the opposition regular chances if you keep making a mess of it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 87
pen penfras
December 27, 2023, 10:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob
Why can't we play a style that suits the players we now have rather than one which needs several additions to it (which might not even work out)? Working with what you have, especially if you are in danger of going down, would seem sensible. I remember much the same issue with IH when he first arrived. Playing out from the back means giving the opposition regular chances if you keep making a mess of it.

I completely agree, but when IH arrived we actually did start to play well, the players he brought in at first were a huge part of that though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2023, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,958
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimRob

That's where I am to be honest. Like most of us on here I'm no expert in football coaching but last season we had trouble keeping the ball in the style we played, with this in mind it seems odd that we then move to trying a more possession based game.

One of our best results and performances in recent seasons was against Plymouth in the cup, we played to our strengths with the side we had that day and it worked, I know it's only one game but it just sticks out for me.

I think JS has done a brilliant job since taking over but when he's publicly talking about style of play and nonsense like "The Grimsby Way" then I'm not sure it's helpful.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
RonMariner
December 27, 2023, 10:40am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,733
Gold Stars: 226
I hear a lot of talk about players adapting to various playing styles but the fact is that many of the players seem to be struggling with the fundamental basics, i.e tracking back when you lose your man, covering when a team mate is out of position, moving into space to give a team mate an easy pass option, watching for opponents running into dangerous spaces, and closing down opponents in the final third to name but a few.  Many also seem to struggle with accurate passing, set piece delivery and being able to cross the ball into dangerous areas from open play.

These are all things we expect professional players to be able to do. We should also expect professional coaching staff to be able to instill these basic skills where needed.  It really makes you wonder just what has been going on at the training ground over the last few months.

I think DA is well aware of these issues and will work to overcome them. But give the bloke a chance, he's only been here a few weeks and the squad he inherited has been disfunctional for months. His task will be made easier if he can bring in a few capable players in key positions in January.              
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
It Bites
December 27, 2023, 10:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 265

I think JS has done a brilliant job since taking over but when he's publicly talking about style of play and nonsense like "The Grimsby Way" then I'm not sure it's helpful.    [/quote]

That’s exactly my point the other day . JS knows about as much as me regarding a style of play etc , which means he’s living in fairy land if he thinks he can implement that . He’ll go through several managers and loads of players before it happens. He’s a novice football club owner and has improved the ground , training ground etc because they are things he can control . Lg2 footballers are not so easy are they ?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
rancido
December 27, 2023, 10:51am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RonMariner
I hear a lot of talk about players adapting to various playing styles but the fact is that many of the players seem to be struggling with the fundamental basics, i.e tracking back when you lose your man, covering when a team mate is out of position, moving into space to give a team mate an easy pass option, watching for opponents running into dangerous spaces, and closing down opponents in the final third to name but a few.  Many also seem to struggle with accurate passing, set piece delivery and being able to cross the ball into dangerous areas from open play.

These are all things we expect professional players to be able to do. We should also expect professional coaching staff to be able to instill these basic skills where needed.  It really makes you wonder just what has been going on at the training ground over the last few months.

I think DA is well aware of these issues and will work to overcome them. But give the bloke a chance, he's only been here a few weeks and the squad he inherited has been disfunctional for months. His task will be made easier if he can bring in a few capable players in key positions in January.              

I agree that it's the players inability to do the basics that you expect from a professional footballer that baffles me. These are all players that have come through youth systems at various clubs, some from a much higher level than us. The basics should have been instilled in their mind process to become second nature. Tracking back, making yourself available for a pass, wide midfielders supporting their full back, trying to lose your marker - these are all things that we expected and witnessed when I started watching town in the late 1960's and are still an essential part of the game. Tactics and formations may have developed and changed over the years but the basic skills should still be the same.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2023, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

But we shouldn't be making a mess of it. All he is asking them to do is pass to each other. We've got very little pace, aggression or doggedness so this is the best way for these players, as shown pre Harrogate.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from pen penfras

I completely agree, but when IH arrived we actually did start to play well, the players he brought in at first were a huge part of that though.

It was mixed though.  Very mixed.

That initial bounce was great.  His first proper game in charge was Mansfield away.  Down to ten men for 80 minutes with Moses Ogbu absolutely battering them up top, after that it was consistently up and down.  Both for results and performances.  For the wins over Stevenage, Colchester, Newport...there was Swindon, Northampton and Plymouth.  

We conceded 3 goals in three of the final five games and actually only kept two clean sheets in that 14 game period (first and last) with 23 goals conceded overall.   I remember that run quite fondly but that's no doubt blinkered by the good performances because they were very good, but I've definitely glossed over the bad performances and the mini-hammerings we were taking quite regularly.  

You're absolutely right though, his new signings were a huge boost.  Limbrick did a great job in steadying the ship post Jolley and was really unlucky to have to wait until his final game for a win.  But the additions of Glennon, Benson and Clarke really gave us a new dynamic.  Even the likes of Elliot Grandin gave us something extra.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 87
Croxton
December 27, 2023, 11:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,018
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RonMariner

Bang on re 'the basics'. I thought we recruited 'character' and honest endeavour according to PH but we looked cowardly and workshy at times in the second half yesterday. Danny tries to lead from the front but we need eleven captains from now on in this relegation struggle.

I would not have Evans at BP but he knows how to recruit and inculcate a winning mentality. Several of us were saying at Mansfield that we are far too nice. Quite literally a pushover, even our six footers coughing up possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back in the car

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.