9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
barrattstandman
December 27, 2023, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
If a profesional footballer cannot play in different ways on the pitch then why is he on the pitch in the first place ?
Surely every manager he has played for has a different style of play. Its a Sad reflection of our players if they cant .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 87
GrimRob
December 27, 2023, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,422
Gold Stars: 113

But we shouldn't be making a mess of it. All he is asking them to do is pass to each other. We've got very little pace, aggression or doggedness so this is the best way for these players, as shown pre Harrogate.

Passing is easy if you have the time. The last two games we have been tonked in. Every team we now face will be studying those games and trying to do exactly the same as Harrogate and Mansfield, which will be greatly helped if we present a similar approach. New managers have a short spell while everyone else susses you out, that now has passed. We haven't won many games this season but the games we haven't won had in many cases been relatively close and on another day we might have got something out of. This was something else though. Mansfield had 39 shots yesterday, 16 on target and 15 corners. That's horrendous, even Brighton managed less on every count I think. It's a miracle we only lost 2-0. As students of data, it will be interesting to see what we do next.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 87
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
The thing is with Steve Evans, he never leaves a legacy and knows when to get out before it gets too difficult.  Him as an individual and a manager is a topic done to death on here.  He's a first class male masturbator, yet he has a knack of getting the best out of players and succeeds more often than not.  What I would say is that it's rare he goes anywhere without a decent budget to work with.

He wouldn't fit in with 1878 at all, not just for his style of football or his mannerism's.  He's short-term in everything he does.  He's doing a great job at Stevenage now but within a year the wheels will have come off, he'll have high-tailed it to the next chairman with too much money to burn and Stevenage will be back struggling in League Two.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2023, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barrattstandman
If a profesional footballer cannot play in different ways on the pitch then why is he on the pitch in the first place ?
Surely every manager he has played for has a different style of play. Its a Sad reflection of our players if they cant .

I'm not sure that's confined to Town players to be honest. Experienced developed EFL players can do adapt, at the moment we don't have enough of them in positions where we need them.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
arryarryarry
December 27, 2023, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from RonMariner
I hear a lot of talk about players adapting to various playing styles but the fact is that many of the players seem to be struggling with the fundamental basics, i.e tracking back when you lose your man, covering when a team mate is out of position, moving into space to give a team mate an easy pass option, watching for opponents running into dangerous spaces, and closing down opponents in the final third to name but a few.  Many also seem to struggle with accurate passing, set piece delivery and being able to cross the ball into dangerous areas from open play.

These are all things we expect professional players to be able to do. We should also expect professional coaching staff to be able to instill these basic skills where needed.  It really makes you wonder just what has been going on at the training ground over the last few months.

I think DA is well aware of these issues and will work to overcome them. But give the bloke a chance, he's only been here a few weeks and the squad he inherited has been disfunctional for months. His task will be made easier if he can bring in a few capable players in key positions in January.              

A couple of points, regarding style of play I agree the style had frig all to do with Efete and Conteh backing off their player who scored their second, I am still baffled how some on here think Efete is a good defender.

I do think that DA may be trying to change the style too quickly though.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
friskneymariner
December 27, 2023, 11:56am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
In his interview after Harrogate D/A stated there are 3 ways to go through the oppositions press.That is to go through,go over it,or go round it.Going through is not working,we haven't got the players to go over it,and he seems to abandoned any idea of going round it by not playing Khan.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
chaos33
December 27, 2023, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,938
Gold Stars: 360
Yeah I’m finding it hard to make sense of that. Our chance of keeping out of trouble, I think, lies in there being a cluster of teams similar to us ie - not strong across all categories and pretty average in most. There probably are at least 6-12 teams like that in L2. We’ll need to ride our luck in those games and put faith in the law of averages to acquire the odd point here and there. It’s sad isn’t it - busking and blagging in L2 because we read the map and the signals incorrectly and we either misspent our money or didn’t spend enough.  The very, very bottom line is that we can’t keep a clean sheet. I’d start right back there and get that nailed down. We might then have a chance.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
rancido
December 27, 2023, 1:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

He was quite bad at playing out from defence from the Holloway era. Play to his strengths and he'd be in the team

But you can't play a style or approach based on the strengths of one aging defender who is in the twilight of his career. If Waterfall is released at the end of this season then I would be totally amazed if a League club signed him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back in the car

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.