December 18, 2023, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Bigdog

He looked in form on Saturday..

I thought he looked back to his industrious self, but not quite at his overall levels of last season.  His end product was still quite poor.  Last season and the back end of the promotion season he had a belief about himself, of course he wasn't putting every chance away or every cross inch perfect.  But on Saturday it just felt like he a lacked a bit of conviction when in the position to shoot/cross .  Like so many this campaign he's looked devoid of confidence and playing a little within.

Hunt, Glennon, Mullarkey, even Conteh are all benefiting from a shot in the arm with the old confidence booster.  Fingers crossed it works for Harry too.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Bigdog
December 18, 2023, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

I thought he looked back to his industrious self, but not quite at his overall levels of last season.  His end product was still quite poor.  Last season and the back end of the promotion season he had a belief about himself, of course he wasn't putting every chance away or every cross inch perfect.  But on Saturday it just felt like he a lacked a bit of conviction when in the position to shoot/cross .  Like so many this campaign he's looked devoid of confidence and playing a little within.

Hunt, Glennon, Mullarkey, even Conteh are all benefiting from a shot in the arm with the old confidence booster.  Fingers crossed it works for Harry too.

Harry looked a bit different to last season. Better in some ways. More playing on the half turn etc. Looked confident and definitely got into the same positions as he did last year without being picked out with a pass. His improvement was the biggest thing I took out of the game. I think Newport deserve some credit for our passing play not coming off rather than looking at our players individually..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Maringer
December 18, 2023, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Bigdog

Had several good games at left back, a couple of good ones at right back and a shocker at Slough when he was playing through injury. When he gets his chance under Artell, I expect him to flourish with new instructions.. There's a higher ceiling to work with than Mullarkey due to physical attributes. If Artell can get him confident and playing with shackles truly off then we might have the right back that played so well against Plymouth and Southampton every week. I'm definitely interested to see what Artell can do with Michee. Might turn out to be an absolute monster or he may not.. time will tell..

I'm not so convinced that Efete will somehow suddenly flourish under Artell. Defensively, I think he's solid, as his pace, strength and height mean that he's rarely beaten at the back and he often wins free-kicks as has his fouled when he drives forward with the ball after winning possession. However, his crossing is flipping terrible. Always has been and I'm of the view that, if you can't cross a ball very well by your mid-20s, you probably never will. Defensively, I think he's a bit better than Mullarkey but I'm not convinced he'll ever win back the position from him. A very useful player to have on the bench, however. I suspect he could probably fill in at centre-back or play in a back three if required.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Poojah
December 18, 2023, 2:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not so convinced that Efete will somehow suddenly flourish under Artell. Defensively, I think he's solid, as his pace, strength and height mean that he's rarely beaten at the back and he often wins free-kicks as has his fouled when he drives forward with the ball after winning possession. However, his crossing is flipping terrible. Always has been and I'm of the view that, if you can't cross a ball very well by your mid-20s, you probably never will. Defensively, I think he's a bit better than Mullarkey but I'm not convinced he'll ever win back the position from him. A very useful player to have on the bench, however. I suspect he could probably fill in at centre-back or play in a back three if required.

There’s certainly an argument his best position is on the right of a back three. He did well there a few times last season and was particularly excellent against Southampton.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
TownSNAFU5
December 18, 2023, 3:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Efete is very frustrating to watch.  He often doubles back when in good attacking positions. Defensively his sense of danger is not as good as it should be.  He can be caught out of position as well.

He is a talented player but does not make the most of his abilities.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
IlkleyMariner
December 18, 2023, 4:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Holohan did well with his interchange, run and cross.
I had no idea he had so much pace.

More of the same please Gav
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
rancido
December 18, 2023, 4:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Efete is very frustrating to watch.  He often doubles back when in good attacking positions. Defensively his sense of danger is not as good as it should be.  He can be caught out of position as well.

He is a talented player but does not make the most of his abilities.  

Sorry but I don't even think he's that talented. Very athletic but not much else.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
Bigdog
December 18, 2023, 5:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'll answer the last few comments re Efete together.

Out of the 50 or so full backs in League Two last season, in a mixed season for him, he came fourth highest in goals and assists.

He's quicker, stronger and better in the air than Mullarkey, a better one on one defender, more of an aerial asset in the box in both defending and attacking.

We're all ok with the improvement Mullarkey has made under Artell. He's twenty eight, a couple of years older than Efete. Footballers never stop learning, every training session and game until they retire. It's the body that lets them down in the end.

I understand the frustration re Efete checking back last season, but weren't we all moaning about our inability to get bodies in the box too. I'm not too sure whether it was Hurst or his own head that held Michee back at times, but I'm fairly sure Artell will see him as a decent work in progress proposition, he's got a lot of attributes to work with. Confidence, crossing technique and concentration can easily be worked on by a manager like Artell. I've included crossing, although he's put in some cracking balls in his time at the club, but consistency does need to be better.

Michee will be a slower burner than Mullarkey, but at some stage I expect him to be our first choice, maybe not even this season, but sometime in the future once Artell has spent some time with him..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
toontown
December 18, 2023, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Bigdog
I'll answer the last few comments re Efete together.

Out of the 50 or so full backs in League Two last season, in a mixed season for him, he came fourth highest in goals and assists.

He's quicker, stronger and better in the air than Mullarkey, a better one on one defender, more of an aerial asset in the box in both defending and attacking.

We're all ok with the improvement Mullarkey has made under Artell. He's twenty eight, a couple of years older than Efete. Footballers never stop learning, every training session and game until they retire. It's the body that lets them down in the end.

I understand the frustration re Efete checking back last season, but weren't we all moaning about our inability to get bodies in the box too. I'm not too sure whether it was Hurst or his own head that held Michee back at times, but I'm fairly sure Artell will see him as a decent work in progress proposition, he's got a lot of attributes to work with. Confidence, crossing technique and concentration can easily be worked on by a manager like Artell. I've included crossing, although he's put in some cracking balls in his time at the club, but consistency does need to be better.

Michee will be a slower burner than Mullarkey, but at some stage I expect him to be our first choice, maybe not even this season, but sometime in the future once Artell has spent some time with him..

I suspect that efete is too poor in ball control, passing and calmness under pressure to fit in well with an Artell team that knocks it about directly in front of their own goal personally. On the other hand maybe Artell will get hold of him and improve him in those areas. No doubt he is an incredible athlete and a very good 1 on 1 defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
Stew0_0
December 18, 2023, 11:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
Does anyone else think Harry's role would be best just set in behind a striker(s). Either in a 4-3-2-1 or a 4-3-1-2. Think Harry has a guy for goal and the energy to link midfield and attack. Think he would be wasted at full back and as said above we more than covered at RB
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harry Clifton

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.