HarrogateMariner
December 17, 2023, 11:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Comfortably our best player last year. What he lacks technically he makes up for in athleticism and attitude.

He's our only player that is capable of getting up and down into both boxes and is completely different to our other options.

When he leaves he will be missed and he will eventually play higher up, but hopefully that is with us.  

He had a good game yesterday, the best of the 3 starting midfielders and he created the best chance of the day for Holohan.
He's absolutely tireless and if you watch him he's always trying to do the right thing, not the easy thing.  
I genuinely think he'll thrive under Artell.

Fully agree with this. Ok Harry may not have been at his best for some of this season, but nothing wrong with his past two performances. He wasn't kept on yesterday with both Hunt and Conteh subbed for no reason. As others have also said, we need a balance in midfield. Looks like we are sticking with three central midfielders so important we have a bit of everything. You can't play with three Hunt types, it's not going to work. He hasn't been first choice under Jolley, Holloway and Hurst for no reason. Everytime he has been written off, he has come back better. And I also think Artell will improve him. Put it simply- are we a better team with Harry in it? With the current squad I would say 100% yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
MrThirsty
December 18, 2023, 12:12am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ska face

Not sure that’s really his strength. Doesn’t have the pace to roast someone nor the technical ability to beat someone one-on-one with a trick or guile. Once he gets beyond the defender, he’s very one footed and lacks end product. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get offered 12 months in January but think we need better.

Unless I’ve read the stats for last season incorrectly Harry Clifton had 14 goals and assists in the league and FA cup and that put him in top spot. That would suggest he does not lack end product. Like virtually everyone else he has struggled this season but since the arrival of Artell his performances have improved and I expect Artell will continue to help him further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Kris2
December 18, 2023, 12:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
His weakest  area has always been his passing and we know that well enough by now to not call it a bad day when he gets some of his passes wrong. I wouldn't even call myself his biggest fan but I think every team needs a player with that energy and drive. As the local lad he's the one who has to play for the shirt and lead by example, which I think he's done plenty, never gives up or stops putting a shift in even when things aren't going our way. His shooting hasn't been great lately but he has bagged goals in the past so if Artell can get a tune out of him again on that front then he could contribute even more to a game.

I think he's one of those players you won't miss until he's gone or realise what he brings to the table until it's not there. He's no Steve Gerrard where he's a super technically gifted local lad leading the line with goals and assists but he has the same amount of heart playing for his home team.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
1mickylyons
December 18, 2023, 7:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
The problem with Harry he's one of those players you only realise how good/important he is when he isn't playing  .You take his legs and energy and replace it with a better passer and you soon start getting over run in midfield. He had a great scoring season last year and it hasn't been repeated yet he is far from his best but for me were better with him in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Theimperialcoroner
December 18, 2023, 7:59am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
If he’s so poor it’s remarkable that he keeps getting picked by managers who might know a bit more than us on the Fishy.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Davec
December 18, 2023, 8:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I am very confused by Mullarkey's poor crossing, I remember when we signed him and the general consensus from Rochdale and Altrincham fans was that he has an excellent cross on him, I seem to recall him delivering several good balls for Rochdale when playing against us, and he put in a terrific cross for Rose at Bradford, but otherwise his crossing ability for us seems to have deserted him! Why
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 18, 2023, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Davec
I am very confused by Mullarkey's poor crossing, I remember when we signed him and the general consensus from Rochdale and Altrincham fans was that he has an excellent cross on him, I seem to recall him delivering several good balls for Rochdale when playing against us, and he put in a terrific cross for Rose at Bradford, but otherwise his crossing ability for us seems to have deserted him! Why

I’m not sure recent pitch conditions have been terribly helpful.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
Croxton
December 18, 2023, 9:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not sure recent pitch conditions have been terribly helpful.

Yes, I've noticed that his balance is less sure on greasy pitches and fails to adjust when striking the ball. Certainly needs more practice and variation in types of cross. Sometimes he should just look down at the ball and whip it across trusting that others are busting a gut to get on the end of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
December 18, 2023, 10:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Harrys such a good professional and if he doesnt suit artells playing style right now, he'll adapt so that he does, he had a great season last year and its great to see a grimsby lad go and make 200+ appearances for the club hopefully many more to come
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Townforlife
December 18, 2023, 10:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 16
I wonder if Harry's dip in form is because he expects to leave in the January window? As far as I recall he didn't sign an improved contract offer with us and is therefore a free agent in the summer. Perhaps someone will pay a small fee in Jan. If so I think we'll miss him more than some on here think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harry Clifton

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.